PDA

View Full Version : Off Duty concealed- accidental discharge

Maddawg46
11-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Saw on the news that an off duty officer adjusted his holster in a Sonora, CA movie theatre. Gun wet off and shot thru the arm of the seat. Anybody know what caliber and pistol type he had? I figure it was not a 1911, since it would be almost impossible to fire one in its holster.

corcoraj2002
11-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Probably not, but you could have a ND with a 1911 if it is carried in condition 0.

RoundEye
11-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Here's a link (http://www.uniondemocrat.com/News/Local-News/Movie-theater-misfire-rattles)to the story.

P5Ret
11-21-2012, 12:01 PM
According to what I read it was a Sgt. from DOCR, so no telling what he may have been carrying?

NewbieDave
11-21-2012, 12:11 PM
sn3Idb3oVgc

:lurk5:

emsalex
11-21-2012, 12:15 PM
According to what I read it was a Sgt. from DOCR, so no telling what he may have been carrying?

Something with a grip safety.

One thing I noticed is there was a sign saying no guns, how could anyone get in there with a gun when a sign like that is posted?

Lead Waster
11-21-2012, 12:19 PM

One thing I noticed is there was a sign saying no guns, how could anyone get in there with a gun when a sign like that is posted?

That's an interesting point. Even if you have an LTC, if a private property says "no guns" then "no means no" right?

I'm sure there is no legal repercussions to having it there when they said no.

skyscraper
11-21-2012, 12:20 PM

He was a corrections officer, thus LEO.

Also, I dont think those signs keep CCW'ers out. The most they can do is ask you to leave. It is not a PC violation in Ca.

emsalex
11-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Forgot to hit the sarcasm button Hahaha.

skyscraper
11-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Forgot to hit the sarcasm button Hahaha.

:p oops

Bug Splat
11-21-2012, 12:38 PM
sn3Idb3oVgc

HOT!:wub:

d4v0s
11-21-2012, 12:39 PM
That's an interesting point. Even if you have an LTC, if a private property says "no guns" then "no means no" right?

I'm sure there is no legal repercussions to having it there when they said no.

Nope, if you are legally carrying the sign does not mean jack. They can however ask you to leave if your found to be carrying.

zfields
11-21-2012, 12:41 PM
He was a corrections officer, thus LEO.

Also, I dont think those signs keep CCW'ers out. The most they can do is ask you to leave. It is not a PC violation in Ca.

Not all corrections officers are considered fulltime LEO's, so they arent covered under the same CCW laws.

nrgcruizer
11-21-2012, 12:50 PM
sn3Idb3oVgc

What kind of holster is she carrying? She pushes down the latch opens & it cocks her firearm. Way cool. :cool2:

TheSherThang
11-21-2012, 12:56 PM
What kind of holster is she carrying? She pushes down the latch opens & it cocks her firearm. Way cool. :cool2:

I second that. That's a pretty interesting holster.

A-J
11-21-2012, 1:01 PM
Stinson said the Police Department will keep the gun in custody until it is decided whether the man will face charges.

Anyone want to take odds on whether one of us "regular guys" would have recevied the same consideration?

Psykoasn
11-21-2012, 1:14 PM

here is the link for the holster

http://www.eureka4.com/index_en.html

that holster is pretty cool

norcalrider
11-21-2012, 1:14 PM

Found this on the youtube link

www.eureka4.com

rsrocket1
11-21-2012, 1:27 PM
You know you have it bad with guns when you have your focus on the gun saying "I'll bet her first shot is in the dirt!"

JeremyS
11-21-2012, 1:38 PM

Why? I'd rather carry chambered. The possibility of a failure to go into battery would be too great to use that holster. It's an extra, unnatural step to pulling your gun out in an emergency. You'd have to train like crazy to get it totally ingrained into your sub conscious to PUSH on something first when all of your instincts are telling you to pull.

P.S. -- police lady isn't looking at the sights at all in most of those shots and has a dang hard time controlling the gun. Love the drive-by shooting though hahaha

From the news link:

...sergeant was allegedly walking up an aisle in one of the theaters when the back strap safety of his holster disengaged and a round was fired into an armrest.

This explains nothing! :confused:

Rorge Retson
11-21-2012, 2:04 PM

Here's another.... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8r6CY5UZyw

Raider888
11-21-2012, 2:56 PM
sn3Idb3oVgc

Nice rack-ing holster!

kauaibuilt
11-21-2012, 3:16 PM
Not all corrections officers are considered fulltime LEO's, so they arent covered under the same CCW laws.

????

If they take the oath and are local, state, or federal correctional officers then they are. In the Federal system there are VERY few that are not able to CCW and even less who are not considered LEO under LEOSA.

Of the CO's Ive worked with the only ones who weren't covered were the contractors (CCA employees).

JeremyS
11-21-2012, 3:23 PM
Correctional officers and anyone in the department who handles inmates is authorized to carry weapons while off-duty under state law, but must obtain approval from the Sheriff’s Office and have a concealed weapons permit, according to California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation spokeswoman Dana Simas.

^^^

Arson
11-21-2012, 3:27 PM

What holster, I don't see any holster.

paul0660
11-21-2012, 3:29 PM
If he is not charged, how can they take his gun? (he probably willingly offered it, I am sure).

Rorge Retson
11-21-2012, 3:42 PM
If he is not charged, how can they take his gun? (he probably willingly offered it, I am sure).

SOP

kauaibuilt
11-21-2012, 3:48 PM
Correctional officers and anyone in the department who handles inmates is authorized to carry weapons while off-duty under state law, but must obtain approval from the Sheriff’s Office and have a concealed weapons permit, according to California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation spokeswoman Dana Simas.
^^^

Convoluted CA laws with regards to CA CDC. Under LEOSA Federal CO's dont have this problem. They can carry once they get back from FLETC and their firearms training. Most I know wait until after their 1st probationary year before carrying though.

five.five-six
11-21-2012, 3:49 PM
sn3Idb3oVgc

Bootylicious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

sully007
11-21-2012, 3:56 PM

sully007
11-21-2012, 3:56 PM

That only works if you have BIG boobs!

Would not work for the IBTC.

artoaster
11-21-2012, 3:58 PM
The sign prohibiting CCW at theatre doesn't mean a thing, until some idiot has a ND in the darned place!

No CCW for you, Mr. Corrections Officer.

paul0660
11-21-2012, 4:03 PM
SOP

Ok, so was beating up Negroes, once. Is there a statute that says they can, or is it a spot where if one refused to give up the firearm, they WOULD charge you?

11-21-2012, 4:08 PM
...sergeant was allegedly walking up an aisle in one of the theaters when the back strap safety of his holster disengaged and a round was fired into an armrest.

Safties are unsafe!

Nice rack-ing holster!

Agreed!

five.five-six
11-21-2012, 4:15 PM

I could watch that all day long

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Rorge Retson
11-21-2012, 4:25 PM
Ok, so was beating up Negroes, once. Is there a statute that says they can, or is it a spot where if one refused to give up the firearm, they WOULD charge you?

You are over thinking this. It is much more simple. Collecting the gun is primarily for ballistics and investigative purposes.

What if there were two guns that went off at the same time, but that was indiscernible because the shots were so close together? If this was the case, the fragments of the bullet found would not match the correction officer's weapon. Then you would be looking for another weapon. ;)

stormvet
11-21-2012, 5:11 PM
Here's a link (http://www.uniondemocrat.com/News/Local-News/Movie-theater-misfire-rattles)to the story.

That story is so full of fud, just goes to show don't believe anything printed in the main stream media.
Only non-peace officer prison employees need a ccw, sworn officer carry per the penal code. All CDC officers are sworn.

It a shame this happened, glade no one was hurt besides the obvious attempt to cash in on it. Although an ND is something many claim will never happen to them, if you carry and use a gun long enough the odds go up, no one, no one can be perfect all the time. One little lack of focus or equipment failure and it can happen. If you don't think it can happen to you, your one step closer to it. This is a not so friendly reminder, keep your s... Tight and stay focused.

Maddawg46
11-21-2012, 6:50 PM
Back to the original question......what firearm was he carrying?

stormvet
11-21-2012, 6:58 PM
XDm .40

jonc
11-21-2012, 6:58 PM
What firearm?

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

artoaster
11-21-2012, 9:43 PM
XDm .40?

:oji:

BadMatt
11-21-2012, 10:26 PM
So officer, the backstrap disengaged your firing pin block too? I see ...

knucklehead0202
11-21-2012, 10:31 PM
don't get why LEO's merit any special consideration whether it comes to ND's, which is what the rest of the world calls them (negligent discharges) not accidental. for that matter, i see no reason many of us have no chance of even being granted a ccw, when these guys shoot themselves, others, and inanimate objects. tired of hearing about certain people being "exempt" from rules the rest of us have to follow.

pyromensch
11-21-2012, 10:32 PM

Nice rack-ing holster!

is that a 4, or a 5 head?

Colt-45
11-21-2012, 10:44 PM
sn3Idb3oVgc

That has to be the hottest cop chick i've ever seen. She has everything. I highly doubt she can afford fake boobs/*** on a spanish cop salary.

Great post.

Freq18Hz
11-21-2012, 11:06 PM
This thread has zero useful info.

I don't mind however because Spanish Police Woman has taught me how to love again.

http://i.imgur.com/yyskM.png

-Freq

nrgcruizer
11-22-2012, 11:21 AM

I know. It's perfect for a 1911 set up or a DA to SA pistols. ;)

nrgcruizer
11-22-2012, 11:23 AM
here is the link for the holster

http://www.eureka4.com/index_en.html

Thank you kind sir. :D

Springfield45
11-22-2012, 11:57 AM

Officers must also take a quarterly firearms test, she said.

This is not correct. Correctional Officers do not need obtain approval from the Sheriff's Office. They do not need to get a CCW. It works the same way as any other peace officer and is covered under the P.C. 832 and the firearms training is under P.C. 830.5(D). C/O's need to qualify quarterly to be covered. Only peace officers defined by the penial code are permitted to conceal carry. Everyone else would have to get a CCW.

I conceal carry in under the same rules and regulations as this sergeant. I admit it is one of the benefits to taking the job along with the high cap magazines. I have been carrying a XD9sc for more than 8 years now with out incident. And after qualifying 4 times a year I have become a very good shot with it. The department does not offer any kind of training for CCW other than what we learn for the S&W model 10 .38 revolver. We haft to get that training on our own. And not everyone is as serious about CC as I am.

I do not see how this guy could have a ND in the manner he says unless he was messing around with the gun. Remember the XDm pistols have 2 external safeties, one on the trigger and one on the back strap of the gun.

skyscraper
11-22-2012, 12:06 PM
don't get why LEO's merit any special consideration whether it comes to ND's, which is what the rest of the world calls them (negligent discharges) not accidental. for that matter, i see no reason many of us have no chance of even being granted a ccw, when these guys shoot themselves, others, and inanimate objects. tired of hearing about certain people being "exempt" from rules the rest of us have to follow.

Why do you think he got special treatment? It seems as though the investigation is still pending. I have recently read stories of civilians with ccws having ND's and they weren't arrested either.

jkody
11-22-2012, 1:18 PM
My buddy was there in the theater when it happened. Said he heard the shot then the guy flashed his badge, said he was LEO and walked out on the phone. Then came the cops and the officer. They searched for the bullet and took some pictures and left. He said it was dark and never saw the gun.

fullspeed1
11-22-2012, 1:38 PM
sn3Idb3oVgc

NICE RACK-ing method;)

Maddawg46
11-22-2012, 7:30 PM
I thought XDs had a grip safety. How could you accidentally fire an XD? Is it not similar to a 1911 safety?

LexLuther
11-22-2012, 7:46 PM
This thread has zero useful info.

I don't mind however because Spanish Police Woman has taught me how to love again.

http://i.imgur.com/yyskM.png

-Freq

Umm juicy

Vampyredark
11-22-2012, 9:19 PM
I bet it was a glock.

postal
11-23-2012, 12:18 AM
No functional safety difference between an xd and a glock.

A 1911 wouldnt have done that.

I like the chick, I wouldnt use a holster like that. 1911 condition 1 when my LTC goes through.

slicknickns
11-23-2012, 12:32 AM
sn3Idb3oVgc

There's one helluva gorgeous woman. Marrone, look at those curves!!

Rockit
11-23-2012, 12:48 AM
Why do you think he got special treatment? It seems as though the investigation is still pending. I have recently read stories of civilians with ccws having ND's and they weren't arrested either.
Because this is CalGuns...one of the most anti-LEO forums out there. 3/4 of the people here think all LEO can do anything they wish w/o consequence and wake up in the morning thinking of ways to violate lowly mere citizens civil rights.

skyscraper
11-23-2012, 8:34 AM
Because this is CalGuns...one of the most anti-LEO forums out there. 3/4 of the people here think all LEO can do anything they wish w/o consequence and wake up in the morning thinking of ways to violate lowly mere citizens civil rights.

Yeah no kidding.

JTROKS
11-23-2012, 10:05 AM
sn3Idb3oVgc

Those look real! I like how that holster is shaped during close up. Whew! I like that. Thanks for the video.

What were we talking about again?