PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing first handgun online

infinitest
11-21-2012, 1:08 AM
I've done some searching and didn't come up with much and I'm getting antsy to click "Confirm Order", so apologies if this has been covered many times.

I'm looking to buy my first handgun online. The website has a list of FFLs to select from and even has a few "preferred FFLs" listed.

My question is this: what does the process look like after I order it online?

From what I gather, they ship it to the FFL who then calls me and holds the gun until I submit all of the necessary paperwork, then holds it the additional 10 days at which point I can pick it up. Is that correct or did I get it wrong? This may be a stupid question, but do I take the safety test through the FFL or do I need to do that elsewhere?

Big thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to owning my first handgun!

echang72
11-21-2012, 1:09 AM
i would like to know this too .. for future online purchases [:

Yerman
11-21-2012, 1:23 AM
You will need to contact your FFL ahead of time and just give them a heads-up that you will be asking someone to ship a firearm to them. Place your order, the FFL and seller will need to send a few documents back and forth to each other (likely an easy process if they are a Preferred FFL), then they ship the gun. You go to your FFL (in-person) after it arrives, provide necessary paperwork and signatures, and start your 10 day. After 10 days, you pick it up.

Regarding the handgun safety test...I believe you can do that pretty much anywhere they sell guns. Just go to a Big5 or Turners. However, your FFL will likely be able to help you with this when you arrive to sign the paperwork to start your 10 day wait.

Lugiahua
11-21-2012, 1:26 AM
After you paid the seller, contact your FFL to confirm. the seller will send it to your local FFL.
then you will go to the FFL once they receive it , get your safety cert, complete DROS paperwork and pay for fee.

Wait for 10 days since, the firearm is then yours.

echang72
11-21-2012, 1:26 AM
You will need to contact your FFL ahead of time and just give them a heads-up that you will be asking someone to ship a firearm to them. Place your order, the FFL and seller will need to send a few documents back and forth to each other (likely an easy process if they are a Preferred FFL), then they ship the gun. You go to your FFL (in-person) after it arrives, provide necessary paperwork and signatures, and start your 10 day. After 10 days, you pick it up.

it sounds easy enough :o

infinitest
11-21-2012, 1:27 AM
So the paperwork/testing/legal issues are taken care of at the FFL--good to know.

Thoughts on budsgunshop.com? They're the only ones that have the handgun I want at a reasonable price, but the poor reviews on resellerratings.com has me worried.

Yerman
11-21-2012, 3:36 AM
The poor reviews on resellerratings.com has me worried.

Screw what other people think. Get the gun you want and make your own opinion. If you don't like it, sell it, and move on.

Everyone loves Glocks. I hate them for a number of reasons. If I bought a gun because of other peoples opinions, I'd have a bunch of Glocks that I hate.

On the other hand, I never thought I would like a CZ but I recently shot one and fell in love. I don't care what other people experiences are with CZ, I loved it and I am now in the market for an SP-01 Tactical.

If you can, shoot it first. It will help you make your decision.

Bud's is GTG.

If you have not thought about it, consider taking a class to help you learn how to shoot your new weapon. You sound like you are new to shooting...forgive this comment if you have a lot of experience. If not, proper instruction will help you with the learning curve.

Arkangel
11-21-2012, 8:31 AM

Regarding the handgun safety test...I believe you can do that pretty much anywhere they sell guns. Just go to a Big5 or Turners. However, your FFL will likely be able to help you with this when you arrive to sign the paperwork to start your 10 day wait.

The only thing I can add is to shop around for a good transfer fee. Different FFL's charge different rates. Turner's once charged me $150 for a transfer fee, while a new shop here in SD charges $35.

Also be aware that the whichever FFL you decide to use will have to collect sales tax, so any savings obtained by buying online might be lost.

IVC
11-21-2012, 8:56 AM
Don't forget to make sure the gun is on the roster and that you don't try to purchase a used gun (this would be PPT - private party transfer, and generally cannot be done from another state, with few exceptions). The seller FFL should check this as well, but sometimes they don't. If your local FFL cannot transfer the gun to you after it arrives, it will have to go back and you'll be on the hook for twice the shipping and any restocking fee.

Also, the seller FFL will most likely send you shipping info so that you can follow the package. Once it arrives to your local FFL, give them a call. Many of the local gun stores will just keep the package until you show up to claim it and will not call you at all. Some do it because they don't want to bother, some do it because they want to open it in front of the customer so they are not on the hook if something is wrong with the order. Then, some FFL-s don't include all contact info with the package.

sd_shooter
11-21-2012, 9:11 AM
Sounds like you're buying your gun from Bud's - good.

1) Buy the gun. Make sure it's a CA compliant model. (Add to cart, select FFL, pay) You'll likely be sent a tracking number.
2) You call the FFL picked in step 1 and tell them there's a gun on the way. There is no "paperwork" at any point in step 1 or 2 for you.
3) Track the shipment and when it's at the FFL, go down there and fill out the paperwork (DROS.) Pay the DROS fee and transfer fee.
4) Wait 10 days, then go pick up the gun from the FFL

During the shipping period between steps 1 and 3, go take the handgun safety test at a local gun store. You can practice with the PDF study guide found here:
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo

NOTE: You'll need to provide proof of residence to the FFL either when you do the DROS or pick up the gun:
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/resprf

Most people use their car registration.

SMR510
11-21-2012, 9:17 AM
Just a heads up on buds, if you send them a check or e-check they will wait 10 days for it to clear before shipping your firearm. I just ordered a rifle through them and it took a month before I had it at my house between them and the CA BS.

Katch
11-21-2012, 11:27 AM
What about having a local shop order the gun for you...might save some headache. Unless I'm wrong, shouldn't a good local place be able to locate anything CA compliant that you could by online?

infinitest
11-21-2012, 1:11 PM
Thanks for the great info guys--I really appreciate it.

What about having a local shop order the gun for you...might save some headache. Unless I'm wrong, shouldn't a good local place be able to locate anything CA compliant that you could by online?

I'm looking for a Steyr M9-A1, which a couple shops in Southern California said they couldn't get. I guess I could try around here in Northern California (recommendations in the East Bay area?) and see what they say.

PAKALO
11-21-2012, 1:20 PM
galleryofguns.com
click the retailer search on top. enter your zip. find a ffl that has a cart next to it (approved and vip ffls) . then do a search find what you want and order.
every shop might differ between $50 but its the best deal online.. buds is terrible.. at galleryofguns you only need initial 25% DOWN and they will ship next day. your ffl will call when it arrives and the paperwork..
im super happy with GOG and will continue my shopping there

infinitest
11-21-2012, 1:35 PM
galleryofguns.com
click the retailer search on top. enter your zip. find a ffl that has a cart next to it (approved and vip ffls) . then do a search find what you want and order.
every shop might differ between $50 but its the best deal online.. buds is terrible.. at galleryofguns you only need initial 25% DOWN and they will ship next day. your ffl will call when it arrives and the paperwork..

No Steyr handguns and the M&P 9mm is out of stock :\

ChrisKalan
11-21-2012, 1:57 PM
galleryofguns.com

I've used both GoG and buds. Both were good experiences. Going the Buds route is a little more complicated since you are doing a transfer on top of the purchase, so any savings from Buds may be moot when everything gets added up.

GoG on the other hand is like buying the gun from your LGS. Other than you are doing the order yourself. There is no transfer involved.

My only gripe about Buds is that they have been hacked a couple of times and my CC card got out. Cc company took care of it, but it was a hassle on my end to fix auto payments. They have since upped their security.