PDA

View Full Version : Modified Gunvault AR magazine lock for sig556 legal?

sig-guy
11-20-2012, 11:55 PM
I ordered the Gunvault magazine lock for my sig556 thinking it would fit because it uses standard AR mags. However, the bolt carrier group on the sig keeps the gunvault from sliding all the way up the magwell and locking into place.

I took the gunvault apart, pulled the metal bracket out of the middle, and cut the top tapered potion off. Put it back together and now it fits and the lock fully engages :thumbsup:

As long as the key locks the mag into place, and the mag release won't let it out, am I correct in assuming the modified lock is still in compliance with CA state laws?

Just trying to make sure there's no ridiculous law on the books about modified gun locks I'm not aware of.

thanks in advance

the86d
11-21-2012, 3:42 AM
The only time you are required AFAIK is if minors ever have access to the room it is in...

Can you put a cartridge in via the ejection port after pulling the bolt back?

sig-guy
11-21-2012, 6:10 AM
No minors around. More concerned with travel to the range.

This is my first 223/556 and I don't own any ammo or snap caps yet. I hadn't considered sliding a round in through the ejection port. I'll check that function when I can, and I guess if it still works I'll just order up a combination trigger lock.

thanks.

Merc1138
11-21-2012, 6:13 AM
The only time you are required AFAIK is if minors ever have access to the room it is in...

Can you put a cartridge in via the ejection port after pulling the bolt back?

Wrong.

There are issues about liability if you give access to a minor who does something stupid with it, but nothing that says it needs to be locked(unless we're talking about transporting it).

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Storage_and_Children

No minors around. More concerned with travel to the range.

This is my first 223/556 and I don't own any ammo or snap caps yet. I hadn't considered sliding a round in through the ejection port. I'll check that function when I can, and I guess if it still works I'll just order up a combination trigger lock.

thanks.

Not sure what good it's going to do for travel to the range, since that gunvault magazine lock is not a locking container or locking gun rack.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

Librarian
11-21-2012, 4:26 PM
I'm confused.

There's the Gunvault magazine lock - http://www.gunvault.com/gun-locks/magvault.html

That's the equivalent of a cable lock or a trigger lock - it makes the weapon somewhat unavailable to unauthorized users.

Then there is the 'bullet button' type 'magazine lock', which modifies the weapon so it no longer is capable of accepting 'detachable magazines'.

Just asking, but are you by any chance confusing the first kind with the second kind?

sig-guy
11-26-2012, 6:15 AM
I'm going with a locked trunk as my "container", and the 556 is a pistol if that matters.

I'm just under the impression that the gun needs a lock as well as being in a "container". (The bag I use doesn't have locking zippers.)

Librarian, yes. I'm talking about the magazine lock (I also have a bullet button on the gun).

Thanks for the comments guys. Really helped me get this straight.

Librarian
11-26-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm going with a locked trunk as my "container", and the 556 is a pistol if that matters.

I'm just under the impression that the gun needs a lock as well as being in a "container". (The bag I use doesn't have locking zippers.)

Librarian, yes. I'm talking about the magazine lock (I also have a bullet button on the gun).

Thanks for the comments guys. Really helped me get this straight.

Ah - you're OK.

You do NOT need an extra lock on your rifle - those have no legal transport significance at all. Except for school zones and RAWs, long guns do not need to be locked up when transporting; where available, a car trunk satisfies that requirement.