PDA

View Full Version : Wanting a new Glock 19

MotoriousRacing
11-20-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm a bit of a newb, trying hard to do some firearms research. I'm building the security portion of my emergency preparation. I'm wanting a Glock G19, and I like the FDE, but the Glock USA website doesn't say anything about it. Is there anything different from the black besides color?

Regarding the DOJ handgun roster, these G19s are listed.

Model - Gun Type - Barrel Length - Caliber - Exp Date
19C / Steel, Polymer - Pistol - 4" - 9mm - 6/4/2013
19 / Steel, Polymer - Pistol - 4.02" - 9mm - 12/31/2013
19 OD / Steel, Polymer - Pistol - 4.02" - 9mm - 11/16/2013

The roster specifically states Gen 4's are not yet approved, and I believe the OD is for an Olive Drab (Green), but what is difference between the 19 and 19C? Why are no previous Gen's listed, or is the 19C a Gen 3? Since OD is specifically listed, can I assume that since I don't see FDE listed, it is not approved, even though it may just be a color difference?

I'm asking because I would consider a Black Gen 3, if that is what a 19C is, to avoid the hassle of the SSE and reconversion, and the BTTF I've been reading about.

Thanks for helping a newb become better prepared.

MalC
11-20-2012, 11:11 PM
afaik gen 3s have the same BTTF issues. The 19c is the compensated version of the gen 3 G19. Yes you need to do a SSE for the FDE.

MA2
11-20-2012, 11:53 PM
The Gen3 OD/FDE were discontinued a couple of years ago. Buy a used one or Cerakote is an option.
There was one special batch, all gone by now.

C's are compensated/ported (holes/cuts in the barred and slide), pointless for a 9mm.
It's your emergency/defensive gun, so C model are definitely not recommended.

Gen1-3 are all considered the same as far as the roster goes (RTF/RTF2 are Gen3's most of those did not make the roster).

BTF, 50/50 draw of the luck for anything made after ~2009, gen3 or 4.

Oh, since you are new, $500+tax+dros is a good price for the Gen3 19's.
If you do not have one, you will also need a HSC <-$25 good for 5 years.

INFAMOUS762X39
11-21-2012, 8:23 PM
BTF, 50/50 draw of the luck for anything made after ~2009, gen3 or 4.

Take advantage of this advice. I wish someone warned/told me this four months ago.

I have a G19 Gen3 with BTTF/erratic ejection issues. Going to have to give Glock a call, it's the last thing I want to do at the moment. Such a headache.

It's my First Glock maybe my last, I am trying to give it a chance. :rolleyes:

sunrisefordrene
11-21-2012, 8:37 PM
i picked up a g19 gen 3 about 3 months ago...have put about 500 rounds through it..never had a problem. most comfortable and easiest shooting pistol i've ever had! I would recommend one to anyone. Its going to be my ccw. Right after I got it , I "frog lubed" it. Works great!

USMC 82-86
11-21-2012, 8:43 PM
Have the G19 great gun.

BadMatt
11-21-2012, 9:16 PM
G19 Gen 3's are great plastic guns. Mine (2010 model) either has no bttf or I dgas. They are very accurate. B

Ergo the Qualmed
11-21-2012, 9:18 PM
Mine is a 12/2011 Gen 3, performs w/o problems; BTTF only happened 3 times out of 2000+ rds

ElDub1950
11-21-2012, 9:23 PM
sounds like you're over thinking it. Just buy a Gen 3 G19. Forget the compensated model. If you become a 'collector' later on then buy something pretty or tacticool.

This is your first gun. It's for security purposes. Buy the standard work horse G19. Take all the extra money and buy ammo and range time .. that's far more valuable.

bac0n16
11-21-2012, 9:50 PM
I personally own a Glock 19 Gen 3.

Before going any further, I highly recommend going out and test firing one before you make your final decision. I have shot numerous amount of Glocks, 1911s, Sigs, HK, etc, but DO NOT ever go out purchasing a firearm before you have personally shot the make and model of the firearm you're interested in.

Now, first time out shooting the G19, I instantly encounter BTTF issue. The brass was ejecting anywhere from 3-7 o'clock with Winchester 9mm 115 grain. (Please do not blame the user for limp wristing, because that wasn't the issue. :P )

Being frustrated, I went home and did my research just to find numerous BTTF issues as I have encounter. I've read that many claimed that it's the extractor/ejector that's causing the problem and that Glock has a revised ejector out. I was tempted in sending my G19 to have them 'fix' the BTTF issue, but wanted to be sure it wasn't just the ammunition that was causing the problem.

Then I came back the following day, and sure enough with Federal 9mm 115 grain with better results. Brass was consistently ejecting to the 3-4 o'clock without any BTTF. I don't quite understand why the Winchester ammunition with the same load/grain would cause the erratic ejection patterns, but it did.

Ever since I've stuck with Federal ammunition for my Glock. Hope this helps, good luck with your purchase.

OUTLAWZ
11-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Hi Motorious,

Welcome to Calguns! Fantastic choice for a gun. I'm with MA2 on saying "NO" to the compensated "C" model for your emergency preparation. I don't think you want a bright fireball in your face when shooting in lowlight or "NO" light conditions. In addition to other unforeseen hazards it does a great job announcing where you are to the "4 or 2 legged predators" if encountered. The guys here are a great and they have a wealth of knowledge to share. In addition, someone here may have the very gun you want or will want (Guns are like potato chips, who get's just one?) in the future. Invest some time (Much better and cheaper then going through hassle of doing SSE and back) in the "Private Firearms Sales" section for the gun and model you desire. I must warn you, you may spend alot of time here in search and stay up late night for days, weeks or many months with no guarantee of finding what you are looking for. Have faith though, if you are patient, look hard enough and with a little luck. You will find what you are looking for and may make a new friend along the way. I purchased a NIB Glock 19 RTF 2 (Discontinued/Off list/Only available PPT) from a fellow Calgunner yesterday after missing the first one he sold days earlier by minutes on the posting. Did I mention I had been looking for gun for many, many months and late nights before the Glock gods answered my prayers? Good luck with your gun and Happy Thanksgiving!

Leon

5.56Geo
11-22-2012, 6:56 AM
I think the Glock G19 is and always will be one of the best all around guns. I would hold off on the "C" model as mentioned, you wont like the huge fire ball in low light conditions and they tend to dirty up your front night sight after a few rounds. If you like the G19 in FDE I know where you can get a new brand new one. I just bought a Gen3 from Direct Actions Solations (DAS) in Solana Beach in San Diego County for $549. They order them from Lipsey's their Glock distributor. It took about 4 days for it to come in. The run on FDE Glocks is for a limited time and will be gone soon.

Here is a picture of mine, enjoy.
http://imageshack.us/a/img69/175/dsc01608vu.jpg

MotoriousRacing
11-25-2012, 10:24 PM
sounds like you're over thinking it. Just buy a Gen 3 G19. Forget the compensated model. If you become a 'collector' later on then buy something pretty or tacticool.

This is your first gun. It's for security purposes. Buy the standard work horse G19. Take all the extra money and buy ammo and range time .. that's far more valuable.

Just trying to learn, not wanting to buy, but what is the actual difference with a compensated (19c) version?

I'm really wanting the FDE. It seems unlikely to find a Gen 3 FDE. Assuming I get a Gen 4 with BTTF issues, I've read here that it may be fixed with an ejector spring or something similar. This is something I'm willing to do. Any other reason I shouldn't go for a Gen 4 FDE?

Finally, I have a Buckmark ready to pick up tomorrow; may not get to it until Wednesday. When does the -can't buy another one for- 30 days clock start? When the DROS is entered, when the 10-days have passed, when the gun is actually taken into possession, or something else?

Thanks for the help and tips.

MalC
11-25-2012, 10:38 PM
The compensator re-directs gasses out the side of the barrel, so it reduces felt recoil (& muzzle climb), allowing for quicker follow-up shots. The downside, as others have mentioned, is waaay more perceived muzzle blast/flash since those gasses are no longer headed away from you.

Tjfearl
11-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Just trying to learn, not wanting to buy, but what is the actual difference with a compensated (19c) version?

I'm really wanting the FDE. It seems unlikely to find a Gen 3 FDE. Assuming I get a Gen 4 with BTTF issues, I've read here that it may be fixed with an ejector spring or something similar. This is something I'm willing to do. Any other reason I shouldn't go for a Gen 4 FDE?

Finally, I have a Buckmark ready to pick up tomorrow; may not get to it until Wednesday. When does the -can't buy another one for- 30 days clock start? When the DROS is entered, when the 10-days have passed, when the gun is actually taken into possession, or something else?

Compensated means is has hole drilled in the top of the slide and in the barrel to reduce muzzle rise. If you live in San Diego area then I second the suggestion to check out Direct Action solutions in Solana Beach. Congrats on the Buck Mark too. I plan on getting one soon.

OUTLAWZ
11-26-2012, 12:22 AM
I would suggest you get any FDE, OD, Gen 4 Glocks that becomes available (Keep pounding the for sale section.) if you really want one. Any of the above mentioned at really hard to come by whether used or even more rare NIB. If you are more concerned with the cosmetics of the Glock, then having to make some possible (You may get lucky and not have any issues with it.) minor adjustments or replacements will be worth the effort to own one. Congratulations on the Buckmark. I recently picked up a Ruger SR22 and had the same question which the guys here answered. Check out this link http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=646368 Goodluck with the gun and I hope this helps.

Leon

OUTLAWZ
11-26-2012, 12:22 AM
I would suggest you get any FDE, OD, Gen 4 Glocks that becomes available (Keep pounding the for sale section.) if you really want one. Any of the above mentioned at really hard to come by whether used or even more rare NIB. If you are more concerned with the cosmetics of the Glock, then having to make some possible (You may get lucky and not have any issues with it.) minor adjustments or replacements will be worth the effort to own one. Congratulations on the Buckmark. I recently picked up a Ruger SR22 and had the same question which the guys here answered. Check out this link http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=646368 Goodluck with the gun and I hope this helps.

Leon

Ghostrider Recon.
11-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Just picked my new Gen 3 G19 up yesterday. Already ordered extended slide stop lever, extended mag release and Decal grips for it. Relatively cheap ($50 altogether) mods that will help you out.

crf250x
11-26-2012, 3:09 AM
I had the C model for years and only got rid of it because a great trade came up unexpectedly. I will definitely buy a replacement soon. I carried it IWB for 5+ years, more gun than any other in my safe. My only complaint is the extra holes for lint to get into. Other than that, it's an awesome gun. Small enough to carry comfortably but big enough to have an actual fighting gun when you need it.

ElDub1950
11-26-2012, 5:37 AM

Glock did start using a new version of the ejector and extractor. Some say it eliminated the bttf and others say it helped but still get some. Search BTTF here and you'll find the new part numbers with pics for how to identify. Some say better ammo eliminates the problem too. There's a wide variety of opinions and possible causes but seems like most people don't have the problem.

MotoriousRacing
11-27-2012, 1:06 PM
Woot! Just bought and cleared on 30-day hold a G19 Gen 3 FDE from Direct Action Solutions. Thanks for the tip Tjfearl. Can't start DROS until they open on 12/18, since the DROS for my Buck Mark Micro Standard URX (http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=006B&cid=051&tid=408) was submitted 11/16.

Please recommend a good brand of ammo, or at least what to stay away from.

Next is an M4/AR-15 before they're illegal to buy, then I will feel more secure about protecting my family and my emergency prep supplies. I'm moving fast but I have most supplies I need besides more food/water and firearms.

Again, thanks to all that have given advise. I am grateful.

Tjfearl
11-27-2012, 2:11 PM
Awesome, I bought my M&P40c from those guys. Very painless process and I like their computer DROs form. If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay? I plan on stopping by in February when I get back from Afghanistan to get a FDE Glock 19. Im trying to decide between gen 3 or 4 though...

For target ammo I would recommend www.freedommunitions.com or the federal 9mm 100 rd bulk packs from Wal-Mart for $20. If you need more mags check out www.exilemachine.com. They have 15 rd rebuild kits and 10 rd mags in stock for $25 each and free shipping over $49.

MotoriousRacing
11-27-2012, 2:32 PM
I was considering the Gen 4 because the sales guy said the BTTF issue was fixed or fixable and has more 'features'. They had a Gen 3 FDE in stock, but not a Gen 4 FDE, so I went ahead and bought the Gen 3. Nick said the Gen 4 FDE is still available.

$550+fees for Gen 3 (includes 2 clips)
$600+fees for Gen 4 (includes 3 clips and Modular Back Strap)

Thanks for the ammo and clip links.

DDRH
11-27-2012, 2:35 PM
I personally own a Glock 19 Gen 3.

Before going any further, I highly recommend going out and test firing one before you make your final decision. I have shot numerous amount of Glocks, 1911s, Sigs, HK, etc, but DO NOT ever go out purchasing a firearm before you have personally shot the make and model of the firearm you're interested in.

Now, first time out shooting the G19, I instantly encounter BTTF issue. The brass was ejecting anywhere from 3-7 o'clock with Winchester 9mm 115 grain. (Please do not blame the user for limp wristing, because that wasn't the issue. :P )

Being frustrated, I went home and did my research just to find numerous BTTF issues as I have encounter. I've read that many claimed that it's the extractor/ejector that's causing the problem and that Glock has a revised ejector out. I was tempted in sending my G19 to have them 'fix' the BTTF issue, but wanted to be sure it wasn't just the ammunition that was causing the problem.

Then I came back the following day, and sure enough with Federal 9mm 115 grain with better results. Brass was consistently ejecting to the 3-4 o'clock without any BTTF. I don't quite understand why the Winchester ammunition with the same load/grain would cause the erratic ejection patterns, but it did.

Ever since I've stuck with Federal ammunition for my Glock. Hope this helps, good luck with your purchase.

G19 is totally recommended. go shoot it first for yourself. As for Federal and WWB...i had the opposite happen. Federal was weaker and kept BTTF on me. WWB was a bit hotter and had LESS BTTF.

Changed to a gen2 .40SW extractor, and it helped quite a bit. Just a patch, not a fix

INFAMOUS762X39
11-27-2012, 2:42 PM
G19 late GEN3/early GEN4 are known for BTTF/erratic ejection, lets hope you get one that's in spec.

Tjfearl
11-27-2012, 2:53 PM
Luckily for me, if I get one that has an ejector problem I will be able to drive by the Glock office in Georgia to get it fixed on my drive to Chicago in May.