PDA

View Full Version : Deagle fail tonight...

stilly
11-20-2012, 6:12 PM
I was shooting at the range and I noticed that when I put in a magazine it released the slide itself and loaded like it was ready to shoot. I thought that was odd and I took out the mag and opened the slide and ejected the round. Then I looked carefully at the slide catch and then In touching the gun again to put it down it closed again. I opened it back up and started to put my pinky down to see the barrel and the damn thing closed on my pinky. So I said hell with it and loaded it and shot the mag but now the slide stop takes a frog's hair to drop.

Until now, EVERY problem that I have had with this thing has been solved by cleaning it. I have not brought it in to look at but something tells me that it might take more than a cleaning to fix this time. :(

any other deagle owners have this issue ever? With the magazine out or in the slide stop has always needed force to push down and release the slide. Now it take a slight flick of the wrist.

Intimid8tor
11-20-2012, 6:26 PM
Based on the thread title I was thinking a Beagle and a doberman tried to mate and come up with a deagle which was a failure.

Sorry I can't help and good luck with solving the issue.

JeremyS
11-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Odd that it happened suddenly. Typically it takes a long time for the slide stop and/or the notch in the slide itself to wear down and stop catching. I'd check the notch in the slide but, hopefully, the slide stop just got worn, bent, or the tip that catches the slide broke off, etc, and you can just get a new stop. You should be able to see all this without even taking the gun apart.

CrippledPidgeon
11-21-2012, 1:01 AM
First fail was calling it a "deagle"

kel-tec-innovations
11-21-2012, 1:59 AM
Never had that issue with mine, but I'd be glad to take it off your hand to save you the burden.

Try cleaning it first, crap stuck at the slide release?

PsychGuy274
11-21-2012, 5:28 AM

Yeah, like those people who call revolvers "wheel guns." Damn kids with their rap music, I tell ya. :rolleyes:

Steve G
11-21-2012, 5:38 AM
Whats a deagle? Lmao

killmime1234
11-21-2012, 5:53 AM
Have you tried different mags? The spring pressure onto the follower is what "tells" the gun the mag is empty and pushes the slide catch into place. Your mag might be worn out.

SparkYZ
11-21-2012, 6:07 AM
IIRC, the term "deagle" was born from Counter-Strike, an online first person shooter multiplayer game from the early 2000's

GMANtt
11-21-2012, 6:35 AM
Deagle fix = open console via "~" insert command "/quit" without "'s then boot back up.

SparkYZ
11-21-2012, 6:44 AM
Deagle fix = open console via "~" insert command "/quit" without "'s then boot back up.

Memories.

supermanuf
11-21-2012, 7:17 AM

Second fail was buying one. :rolleyes:

I kid! I kid!

MustangSteveGT
11-21-2012, 8:20 AM
I was told with mine to make sure you never get into the habit of pressing down the slide stop to release the slide forward vs manually pulling the slide back and releasing forward.
Pressing the slide release down to release the slide enough times supposedly guarentees that the slide stop will fail in the future once enough material wears smooth on the slide release. I believe one you start getting the symptoms your getting, that you'll have to buy a new part to get it to stop doing that. I was told that the slide release on these is solely to retain the slide back when open, not to actually release the tension of the 2 guide rod springs and the big heavy slide on the desert eagle.
I've gotten away with using the slide release to launch the slide forward on my M9 1000's of times with no problems doing what your talking about but I was informed not to do that with my desert eagle because it will cause the problem your talking about.
The guys on the desert eagle forums can tell you more about it and you can also call Magnum Research/Kahr about it too.

reckoner
11-21-2012, 8:58 AM

Beat me to it.

stilly
11-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Well at least there were no IBFP562 remarks yet...

Thank you Fellow Deagle owners and those that know more than me. I first came to know the gun from CS 1.0 so I call it a Deagle. And yes, it should have been Deagle, not deagle... :)

Thanks Mustang. I WISH I had known that sooner. My slide is broken that way, The thing does not even stay open anymore. I ALWAYS use the slide stop to release the gun and looking at it the slide release notch is now slightly angled back instead of forward so that would explain the dual recoil spring being strong enough to pull it forward no matter what. I think the slide stop piece itself is fine though.

It is not a mag issue because even WITH an empty mag in it jumps closed and without a mag it still jumps closed. I GUESS if it comes to it I can deal with not having a gun that I can keep open but I think I need to take a small diamond file to it and get the piece filed down the other way. I think it should not make too much of a difference if I file it down about 1/16" or so just to get the shape back. Looking at the photo you should be able to see the problem. I will have to modify my loading technique so that I do not use the slide stop to release the slide.

http://www.stillyvision.com/files/deagle/deagleslide.jpg

JeremyS
11-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Most people suggest not using the slide stop lever to release the slide on ANY pistol for this exact reason. That's why it's called a slide stop. It's not a slide release. It has a lever so you can manually lock the slide back, not so you can release it.

^^^ at least, that's what people will say who really harp on these things.

Unfortunately, looking at photos online, the catch in the slide itself is pretty darn square normally. Yours is angled and, yeah, is probably worn out. It'll need repair if you want it to work. Stupid that the slide stop is harder than the slide!!!

stilly
11-21-2012, 11:45 AM
I am hoping that I can just use a needle file on it later tonight/tomorrow maybe. :\

I think I will stop doing that with all of my guns actually. Up until now I have always called them the slide stop but never gave much attention as to why. And of course when I want to release it I call it the slide release :)

Slide stop and no more using it to release from here on out, at least not on the expensive guns...

MustangSteveGT
11-21-2012, 11:58 AM
At least if it's a newer Mark 19 model (like the new 2012 CA legal ones for example) all use the same slide for all 3 calibers .357, .44 and .50ae. So it's not like you likely did this to 3 seperate slides (slides are a few hundred bucks each new for a DE last I checked).

I suppose one of the added benefits to having the newer mark 19. Along with the fact that all you have to do is drop a different barrel and magazine in, to make a CA model mk 19 .44 fire .50ae or .357.

It would definitely be work a call to magnum research and maybe send it/or at least the slide in. It would probably pay to just send the whole thing in if you can.

stilly
11-21-2012, 12:21 PM
I am e-mailing them now to see what the price and wait is vs me using a needle file on it. If they can do it nicely and with a minimal cost I might be willing to send it in.

JeremyS
11-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Another thing to consider is that not all guns actually chamber a round and go all the way into battery when being released from slide stop using the lever. The question is: how far back can you pull the slide from slide stop? Does it catch with the slide 100% back as far as it can go? That's a definite "no," but some guns are closer to that than others. Some guns catch with the slide forwards more so they aren't under as much spring tension as when the slide is all the way back. Because of this, the slide might not have enough forward energy to chamber and lock into battery.

Anyway.... most guns function reliably being released that way, but not all (and even one that usually does may not if it's dirty or the ammo hangs up a little, etc etc). This is another reason that people choose to pull back on the slide and then release it -- it's considered to work better.

P.S. -- other "advice" that people give is to never release a slide (whether that's using the lever or pulling back and releasing) on an empty chamber. Only release it when you're chambering a round. Let it down slowly (ride it) if the gun is empty. The slide slamming home on an empty chamber has cracked breech faces and other things and, while most guns would not have a problem with it, it's still one of those things people say not to do.

Apec
11-21-2012, 2:06 PM
Most people suggest not using the slide stop lever to release the slide on ANY pistol for this exact reason. That's why it's called a slide stop. It's not a slide release. It has a lever so you can manually lock the slide back, not so you can release it.

^^^ at least, that's what people will say who really harp on these things.

Unfortunately, looking at photos online, the catch in the slide itself is pretty darn square normally. Yours is angled and, yeah, is probably worn out. It'll need repair if you want it to work. Stupid that the slide stop is harder than the slide!!!

Most. I'd say it depends. Even well known instructors have differing opinions over this subject.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=107271

In that thread, Larry Vickers posted:
The gross motor skill argument has been overplayed- the sling shot technique is fine on many different types of pistols; it is definately slower than using the slide release and on some pistols it is to be avoided ( Beretta M9 for example) as it can interfere with decocker style safeties

It has been billed as the one size fits all slide release technique and it is not; there is no one size fits all technique for sending the slide back into battery - the best bet is educate yourself on what makes sense for you and the pistol you use and go from there

Cheers

LAV

HKMadness
11-21-2012, 3:16 PM
I prefer Desi over deagle anyway :shrug:

11-21-2012, 3:22 PM
Deagle ...

FAIL

stix213
11-21-2012, 4:39 PM
Try exiting and reconnecting to the server. Or just join the terrorist side and use the Dual Elites, which are my favorite CS pistol choice anyways.

Sunday
11-21-2012, 4:43 PM
Beat me to it.

How about Bushy or Shottie or Springer??

Snoopy47
11-21-2012, 5:11 PM

it's a dead beagle

1 SIG fan
11-21-2012, 6:41 PM
Wait.... Was this a real problem or did It happen playing Call of Duty: Deagle edition

winnre
11-21-2012, 8:14 PM
it's a dead beagle

It's about that heavy!!!

stilly
11-21-2012, 8:14 PM
****ing guns. I would expect them to be indestructible, you know, like in the movies...

:O

MRI is asking me to send it in so depending on what that costs I may or may not.

As far as the slide is concerned, it can get pulled back a little more than what it is.

patrickcondon22
11-21-2012, 8:20 PM

Wow, great moment for me reading this :D

MustangSteveGT
11-21-2012, 9:57 PM
MR or local gunsmith.
MR will want to charge to ship there/back. The benefit of having them look at it is they can check the whole gun with a very familiar eye and know instantly what wrong based on the many they see all day long. You never know with some of these, they had stuff wrong with them that didnt allow them to function optimally other than just the slide issue your having. The downside with MR is you wont see the gun back for weeks most likely. I'd have some money put aside unless you have a receipt stating it damn near new, because your probably about to spend more than you think in parts. If its too bad, your DE might come back 2 tone and you'll be re-coating another slide that brown color it looks like in the picture. Just something to think about. If your DE is an older generation MK 1 used parts are obtainable through DE forums, sometimes eBay and Numrich Gun Parts Corp. The new Mk 19 generation DE parts are harder to come by and even the used stuff is nearly selling for what you spend for new from vender/MR. Make sure if buy the stuff used or new from a vender, what generation DE the parts are for because they look the exact same from a distance.
If you bring it to a local gun shop, even one that sells/distributes MR firearms they may end up just turning around and sending it to MR (weeks of waiting) or turning around and ordering parts for MR (WEEKS OF WAITING) or turning around and ordering the parts from a place like Numrich Gun Parts Corp and getting a used condition part like I did from them recently, which is something you could do yourself anyways with going through a gunsmith.
Another reason why its not a bad idea to just send it to MR is because even if you are 100% certain what part needs to be replaced and you order it through the MR website, their item inventory on the site is hopelessly inaccurate and they are sold out of stuff with often time months of backorder with no warning at all. When you order something through the MR website, you are ordering through Kahr who runs it, that where everything goes to complete sh-t, they have REALLY hard to get ahold of customer service (i've spent hour(s) on hold with their Kahr website sales department (not to be confused with actual MR). So there is a benefit to sending the gun in because the MR repairmen that have their hands on it can get the parts WAY faster than what you or your local gunsmith ever will. Also if your DE has some heavy miles on it, it wouldnt hurt to send it to MR so they can run through the whole gun and see if it needs other stuff too like if it has weak springs ect.

bac0n16
11-21-2012, 10:01 PM

I lol'd.

Dragon
11-21-2012, 11:15 PM
I lol'd.

lmao... when some one call it that it hurts my ears just as bad as someone calling a shotgun a shotty.. I really hate thate!

10mm
11-22-2012, 2:44 AM
Not suprised. They have so many issues. This is but one of many. Good luck though.

jumbopanda
11-22-2012, 3:16 AM

Seriously, everyone knows the proper terminology is "deag."

colossians323
11-22-2012, 7:20 AM
I own two mark I in .357 and .44 and have thousands of rounds in them and have never had any problems with the slide release. Maybe I am not understanding your problem, you are saying that it is not catching it at all? the Frame looks like it is notched fine so it must be the release. I would not take a file to if you don't know what you are doing

JeremyS
11-28-2012, 5:52 PM
I saw this Deagle and thought of you, Stilly

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/you-cant-explain-that-5.jpg?w=500&h=281

pyromensch
11-28-2012, 7:31 PM
Whats a deagle? Lmao

that would be a question...didn't colt, make a double action, 1911, called the double eagle...which could be a deagle too.

stilly
12-03-2012, 1:02 PM
I saw this Deagle and thought of you, Stilly

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/you-cant-explain-that-5.jpg?w=500&h=281

:rofl2:
I am saving that. Thanks. I feel good now.

stilly
12-03-2012, 1:16 PM
MR or local gunsmith.
MR will want to charge to ship there/back. The benefit of having them look at it is they can check the whole gun with a very familiar eye and know instantly what wrong based on the many they see all day long. You never know with some of these, they had stuff wrong with them that didnt allow them to function optimally other than just the slide issue your having. The downside with MR is you wont see the gun back for weeks most likely. I'd have some money put aside unless you have a receipt stating it damn near new, because your probably about to spend more than you think in parts. If its too bad, your DE might come back 2 tone and you'll be re-coating another slide that brown color it looks like in the picture. Just something to think about. If your DE is an older generation MK 1 used parts are obtainable through DE forums, sometimes eBay and Numrich Gun Parts Corp. The new Mk 19 generation DE parts are harder to come by and even the used stuff is nearly selling for what you spend for new from vender/MR. Make sure if buy the stuff used or new from a vender, what generation DE the parts are for because they look the exact same from a distance.
If you bring it to a local gun shop, even one that sells/distributes MR firearms they may end up just turning around and sending it to MR (weeks of waiting) or turning around and ordering parts for MR (WEEKS OF WAITING) or turning around and ordering the parts from a place like Numrich Gun Parts Corp and getting a used condition part like I did from them recently, which is something you could do yourself anyways with going through a gunsmith.
Another reason why its not a bad idea to just send it to MR is because even if you are 100% certain what part needs to be replaced and you order it through the MR website, their item inventory on the site is hopelessly inaccurate and they are sold out of stuff with often time months of backorder with no warning at all. When you order something through the MR website, you are ordering through Kahr who runs it, that where everything goes to complete sh-t, they have REALLY hard to get ahold of customer service (i've spent hour(s) on hold with their Kahr website sales department (not to be confused with actual MR). So there is a benefit to sending the gun in because the MR repairmen that have their hands on it can get the parts WAY faster than what you or your local gunsmith ever will. Also if your DE has some heavy miles on it, it wouldnt hurt to send it to MR so they can run through the whole gun and see if it needs other stuff too like if it has weak springs ect.

READY for this?

Scott from Magnum Research called me today. There was an issue that caused this. The issue was a third party spring used in the gun on the slide release or something THAT allowed excessive pressure and most likely caused the roundoff to occur. They replaced the spring, fired 24 rounds (8 rounds each per mag is my guess) FIXED the SLIDE and there is supposedly NO refinishing needed. MY total cost is $98.xx. Full gun inspection and all that and the barrel, chamber EVERYTHING is now in perfect working order. The only thing that did this was a stupid spring. SO the several split shells that I also showed them a pic of they said caused by worn brass. (yeah, 6-8 reloads as I stated). They are sending it back my way and hopefully I will have it this week. I am a very happy camper but I just hope that the OD green is not messed up anywhere.

ANOTHER point, I ASKED about whether or not I should continue to use the slide release to release the slide they said continue to do that. I should not have this issue anymore and it was designed to release the slide so by all means I should use it for that. I asked this in two different ways and they were consistant with what was said. My biggest fear was getting it back and having it go back to Birdsong again. They are busy and they do GREAT work but last night I was at the range with my PT-92 and the 22lr and I was really starting to feel my loss when the guys next to me were shooting their .357 2" barrel with magnum loads and bragging about how it is a powerful gun... hehe.

Anyways, I am sorry for those people that get offended that I call it a Deagle but again, I WAS a CS player and THAT was just how I got to know it. But for what it is worth, it is a Deagle that has always been fixed by cleaning it. But its all cool cause I know haters gonna hate. :cool2:

They also told me that I should not shoot lead, but rather jacketed or factory semi jackets were the bullet of choice. On plated they were iffy about but since I have put already 1600+ rounds down my barrel and they inspected it themselves and said that it was fine with what they saw, then I must be doing something right.

Now Imma gonna make some more H-110 loads for later this week cause I got some celebrating to do...

soopafly
12-04-2012, 10:17 AM
How about Bushy or Shottie or Springer??

"Bushy" and "Springer" originated from the firearms community/enthusiasts.

"Deagle" and "Shottie" did not. THAT is the difference.

soopafly
12-04-2012, 10:23 AM
EVERYTHING is now in perfect working order.

I'm glad the issue has been resolved for you. I actually use the "slingshot" technique on my .50 DE not because it's the "cool" thing, rather, the slide stop lever is a B!@#H to actuate when the slide is locked back. Weak thumbs, I guess.:o

stilly
12-05-2012, 1:12 PM
I'm glad the issue has been resolved for you. I actually use the "slingshot" technique on my .50 DE not because it's the "cool" thing, rather, the slide stop lever is a B!@#H to actuate when the slide is locked back. Weak thumbs, I guess.:o

I agree with you. It is a ***** to press down sometimes but I got used to it and even though they said I could continue doing so without fear of it happening again, I think I may slingshot it shut for a while too... I plan to go to the range with it later this week because tomorrow it should be back. :)

Hoshnasi
12-05-2012, 1:16 PM
Am I on /K/? Is it a Deagle brand Deagle?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/desert_eagle_1911-tfb.jpg

stilly
12-05-2012, 9:36 PM
Yup.

I might get the 1911 from them next year and then the Baby Eagles/Jericoh but for now I am happy with the Micro and the Deagle .44.
Mine comes back tomorrow...

Bill Carson
12-05-2012, 9:38 PM

LOL

Zedrek
12-06-2012, 1:42 PM
that would be a question...didn't colt, make a double action, 1911, called the double eagle...which could be a deagle too.

Yup, I have the 10mm version.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/ColtDoubleEagle.jpg

socal619
12-06-2012, 3:58 PM
My desert eagle had feeding issues that they resolved. Never anything else. And damn dude that thing slamming shut on your pinky musta been interesting...it's by far the toughest slide I've ever felt.

MustangSteveGT
12-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Glad to hear you got it back quickly and it was a cheap fix (comparatively). Nice thing about just sending it away to Magnum Research is they can get right to the point in diagnosing it without throwing all kinds of parts at it at your expense since they fix these things everyday. I can only imagine how much you'd go through with a local gun smith, especially with something as minute as a slightly wrong/bad spring. That of which, I bet MR had right there available to drop in right there. It's worth the shipping just to get it back in working order more efficiently and in your case pretty fast too.