View Full Version : TRUGLO TFO For Glock 19 RTF 2

11-20-2012, 1:04 PM
Hi Everybody,

Just got back from Reed's this morning and picked up a Glock 19 RTF 2 (Straight Slide) from a fellow Calgunner (Serpentine, Thanks again for the gun and remember you have a already deposit for my next cool gun from you! =)) that came with regular factory sights. I also have a Glock 17 RTF 2 with Glock factory night sights that I think are "Meprolight" and would like to change them both out to TRUGLO TFO's in "All Green". Can someone please chime in on their experience with the TFO's and also recommend a person or place to have the sights changed out? I own a retail furniture store in South San Francisco and have no experience in gunsmithing so please no DIY stuff. I'm a firm believer in leaving things to the professionals and their trade. Thank you in advance for your help!

Best Regards,

11-20-2012, 2:20 PM
I have a set on my 17RTF (yellow/green) they are ok, but if doing it again I would go with something different. I love the Trijicon HD's on my 23.

11-20-2012, 2:48 PM
Reed's can do that, and probably give you a discount if you buy the sights from them. In fact, they can do the sight swap during the waiting period, if that still applies to you.

I'm personally not a huge fan of the TFOs, but only because the fiber optics aren't as bright as Hiviz or Dawson Precision. There's nothing wrong with them in terms of quality, just that they don't fit my requirements for sights.

The TFO fiber optics are partially enclosed, so they don't collect as much light as the other brands. I primarily shoot during daytime or using lights, so the tritium feature didn't factor much into my choice as much as the brightness of the fiber optic for speed of acquisition. And at that, I only run a fiber optic up front, and good-ole serrated black in the back.

11-20-2012, 3:20 PM
Hi Stormvet,

Thanks for the input. Can I ask what you don't like about the TFO's? What's the difference with the TFO's and Trijicon HD's besides the front sight? Nice, I'm looking for a 23 but hoping the Glock gods drop unto me a RTF model. =) Thanks in advance for the advice.

11-20-2012, 4:16 PM
Hi CrippledPidgeon,

Thanks for the input. I tried calling Reed's just now to ask for pricing on the TFO's and was advised they are out of stock for Glocks. They are asking for $151.53 (Tax Included) and was told that there is a separate charge for gunsmith to install the sights (No price quoted). I'm kinda scared to ask what they would charge to install the sights (+/- $100?). Amazon is currently selling the TFO's for $81.95 (Tax and Shipping Included). I know I said that I don't wand to do the DIY thing but for what I have to pay for both gun sights ($303.06) and installation (+/- $200?) = $503.06 or less, I should start learning. I came across this posting ( http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=646497&highlight=glock ) and am consider trying it ( 2 x TFO @ $163.90 + Sight Tool @ $125.00 with bonus trigger kit = $288.90). May I ask what is your requirement for sights? I need something that is all around and will give me a bright clear picture without obstructing the target. I will look into all brands suggested and do a little homework. Thanks for your advice.

11-20-2012, 4:28 PM
Glockmeister.com is having a Black Friday sale and the TFOs go for $99.

11-20-2012, 5:19 PM
Hi Stormvet,

Thanks for the input. Can I ask what you don't like about the TFO's? What's the difference with the TFO's and Trijicon HD's besides the front sight? Nice, I'm looking for a 23 but hoping the Glock gods drop unto me a RTF model. =) Thanks in advance for the advice.

I find the rear sight to be a bit too narrow and the fiber optics a little to large. The front sight washes out on me a little.
A smaller fiber rod like the ones Dawson uses gives you a better sight picture, I really like the set on my 35. But for a carry gun I find the Trijicon HD's with the orange dot about perfect.

11-20-2012, 5:57 PM
i'm probably going to switch my sigs over to truglo tfo's. my vision is getting worse all the time and i found these very easy to use. with so many slides and the prospect of having to adjust the sights at the range, i started looking for a sight pusher. i read that the sig sight pusher does not work with truglo's because of the height. i ended up getting one from dafish and should have it by the end of the week.

and check out amazon.com for a price on the truglo's.

11-20-2012, 6:49 PM
I'm very happy with TFO sights. I have them on my G17 and G19. No problems at all, and they are very easy to see.

11-20-2012, 7:33 PM
TFO's rock on everything I just out some on my Kimber custom II and love em. Yellow rear and green fronts are my favorite

11-20-2012, 9:31 PM
Hi Stormvet,

Thanks for the break down. I'm having problems with my current 17 on the front sight due to the edges fading out the on factory (Meprolight?) Glock nights sights. They only work well in "No light" conditions and can be seen a little during low light conditions. I don't plan on shooting in the pitch dark so I would like something brighter and easier for target acquisition. Does anybody know if the TFO's can be seen in "No Light" conditions? Thanks

11-20-2012, 9:39 PM
Hi Alantani,

Thank you for the input and for the sight pusher link. I was still kinda anti-DIY until seeing the video from Dafish's thread and being quoted way too much for sights and still have to put them on for an additional fee from the gunsmith. Please let us know how they work for you so I can order myself one and some sights before my gun comes out of jail on 12/01/12. Thanks again.

11-20-2012, 9:42 PM
Hi Cindynles,

Thank you for the pictures, it really helps with the decision process. The TFO's look really bright and easy to see. Do they work for you in "No Light" conditions? Thanks again.

11-21-2012, 9:01 AM
General thoughts on TFOs: I have had a Sig Equinox 229R with the TFO front sight for a couple of years. When they fade I'm going to replace them with TFOs front and back.

I like the TFO front sight on my Sig so much that I immediately put a set of TFOs on my M&P when I bought it last month. I used the M&P last week at a 2-day handgun course that included daylight and low/no light techniques (not to mention the unplanned "outdoor rain" techniques) and absolutely loved it. The TFO rear sight is much easier to pick up in good light than the Siglite rear (if you like that sort of thing--some people want a blacked out rear), and front and rear were extremely visible in darkness.

I have seen many complaints about durability of the TFO sights around the net, but so far so good on mine (knock on wood).

11-21-2012, 7:45 PM
Hi Ausula,

Thanks for the input, I ordered the TFO's this morning through Amazon. One thing I do want to mention when buying the TFO's is to make sure you get the correct model. They have a "High" & "Low" sights. The differences are sight height dimension for the "High" model (6.9mm) and "Low" model (6.5mm) and the cost of $5.00 more for the "High" model ($86.45) versus ($81.95) for the "Low" model. Please note that prices listed are from Amazon as of 11/21/12 and are subject to change so please don't hold me to it. In terms of keeping the same sight height as Glock factory settings, you will want the "Low" model (TRUGLO Lists as TG131GT1 or "TG-H3" on actual sights). The sights are fitted for Glock models 17/17L, 19, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 33, 34, 35, 38 & 39. I hope this helps anybody looking into replacing their sights with some TFO's. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all!