PDA

View Full Version : Pro vs TRP

sand951
11-20-2012, 1:38 PM
I own a Dpringfield TRP. It is my only 1911. It is a great gun and its incredibly accurate. I have an opportunity to buy a PRO from a friend who ordered it, waited for two years for it and now doesn't really want it. Is it really that much better than the TRP to justify the cost? I will be paying just a bit over twice what I paid for my TRP. I have the money but I'm struggling with the decision . Help guys.

Freq18Hz
11-20-2012, 1:49 PM
When you start paying more than 1500 or so for a 1911, you run into the law of diminishing returns.

Is it worth twice the price better than your TRP? That's all subjective.

Is it head and shoulders above your TRP in every single way? Absolutely.

I'm not a fan of the TRP's agressive checkering, as it is intended for operators wearing gloves.

Basically you are comparing a run of the mill, production gun, to a fully custom gun which was specifically chosen by the FBI for their hostage rescue team. Kind of like comparing a Corvette to a Ferrari.

-Freq

WETP
11-20-2012, 2:34 PM
I may take that TRP out of your hands.

Cyc Wid It
11-20-2012, 2:57 PM
If you have the money, there is no struggle :cool2:

Either will be easy to resell if you decide to only keep one. You will notice a difference. Whether or not the difference is "worth" it to you is subjective.

JeremyS
11-20-2012, 3:06 PM
I'm not a fan of the TRP's agressive checkering, as it is intended for operators wearing gloves.

Is it sharper than the Pro's? I thought the checkering on my Pro was pretty darn sharp and I certainly can't really imagine shooting a gun with sharper haha.

Black Majik
11-20-2012, 3:07 PM
Is it sharper than the Pro's? I thought the checkering on my Pro was pretty darn sharp and I certainly can't really imagine shooting a gun with sharper haha.

Both the TRP and PROs come with 20 LPI frontstrap checkering.

JeremyS
11-20-2012, 3:21 PM
...depth and whether or not the 'tips' are softened can affect "sharpness" though, regardless of actual checkering size... Just curious here, doesn't really matter. Freq's post implied that the TRP is sharper than the Pro.

AeroEngi
11-20-2012, 3:23 PM
The checkering isn't that bad on the TRP. You get used to it after 2 or 3 range sessions.

Q619
11-20-2012, 3:25 PM
I used to have a TRP, I still have a Pro. It was worth it to me.

CrippledPidgeon
11-20-2012, 3:38 PM
If you have the money, buy the Pro.

The TRP is just a pretty production gun which while looking nice, is still essentially slapped together in the factory. The Pro, on the other hand, is custom gun with proper fitting and tuning by a gunsmith, similar or better than what you see coming out of Wilson Combat these days (according to a renowned M1911 gunsmith).

Black Majik
11-20-2012, 3:45 PM
...depth and whether or not the 'tips' are softened can affect "sharpness" though, regardless of actual checkering size... Just curious here, doesn't really matter. Freq's post implied that the TRP is sharper than the Pro.

Ah I see, sorry for misunderstanding. I didn't notice any difference in sharpness between the TRPs and PROs I've had to handle/shoot. Both models feel like holding cheeze graters. :D

sand951
11-20-2012, 4:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

21SF
11-20-2012, 5:52 PM
Get it, keep both. Unless you have sissy hands the checking is perfect.

sand951
11-20-2012, 7:09 PM
Haha. I actually like the front strap checkering.

jcaoloveshine
11-20-2012, 7:13 PM
Worth it.

The SA Pro is Springfield's crown jewel. It can run with the Baer/Brown/Wilson/Nighthawk big boys. Some may say it even bests them.

My only gripe is that for a $2500-3000 gun it still has MIM parts. Granted, they're nice MIM parts, but still, I'd rather it was all bar stock steel for that price point.

You would have a sweet shooter, and certainly harder to acquire than the big name semicustom guns (although their wait times are lengthening now).

If you can afford it, do it, because usually SA Pros are snapped up fairly quick.

ACfixer
11-20-2012, 8:07 PM
Get it, keep both. Unless you have sissy hands the checking is perfect.

Jeeeze no kidding. Guys that whimper about things like aggressive checkering and recoil crack me up. Buy a pro, they're sweet. Decide after owning both if it's worth the difference, it won't take you but a couple hours to sell either one of them right here in the marketplace should you decide to sell one of them.

Freq18Hz
11-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Ah I see, sorry for misunderstanding. I didn't notice any difference in sharpness between the TRPs and PROs I've had to handle/shoot. Both models feel like holding cheeze graters. :D

Perhaps I stand corrected? The Pro I have handled did not seem to have agressive checkering like the TRP. The TRP's I have shot and handled, the checkering was egregiously sharp. I have since read it was designed for gloves.

Maybe the Pro is the same and my memory doesn't serve me well?

-Freq

jessegpresley
11-22-2012, 12:19 PM
ACfixer, 21SF, have you guys taken a 1,000 round 2 day class with that TRP checkering? Regular checkering makes my middle finger fairly sore after 2 days.

skyscraper
11-22-2012, 12:26 PM
ACfixer, 21SF, have you guys taken a 1,000 round 2 day class with that TRP checkering? Regular checkering makes my middle finger fairly sore after 2 days.

I did with the pro. It really wasnt bad at all. But I work out just about everyday and I have pretty calloused hands.

To the OP: Get the PRO! Best gun I own. And the wait time is only increasing. I have one, and Im on the waitlist for a second. Im not expecting it until at least 2 years. There is a member on here that I bought my pro from and he ordered a few at one time. I think his first few came in at 2 years and the he's still waiting for more.

redcliff
11-22-2012, 6:44 PM
I believe the tips of the Pro's 20 l.p.i. checkerring gets knocked down abit via media blasting when they ship the pistol out for the Black T finishing. Although agressive, I don't have issues at all with my Pro's checkerring. However, I never spec coarser than 25 lpi checkerring on any custom builds I have done since some 20 lpi is sharper than others.

The TRP is a great pistol. Not many of us really need a Pro. But they're nice to have if you can afford one and have the opportunity to get one without a wait.