PDA

View Full Version : What do my uncle and I need to do in order for him to leave me a shotgun

TheKommissar
11-20-2012, 11:42 AM
I believe it is a O/U shotgun. He lives out of state and is working on his will and wants to give me this shotgun now. What do we need to do to ensure that I can safely and legally have the gun transferred to me? I am old enough and already own a couple rifles.

paul0660
11-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Call around to firearm dealers, explain it, and they will tell you how to do it. a reasonable fee would be $100 total, a great deal $50 total...........total being an important word. The state gets $35 which should be part of that.

TheKommissar
11-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Call around to firearm dealers, explain it, and they will tell you how to do it. a reasonable fee would be $100 total, a great deal $50 total...........total being an important word. The state gets $35 which should be part of that.

I just found the Calguns wiki (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Inheriting_firearms,_both_within_California_and_In terstate) (I should have noticed it before posting) but it sounds like on the bottom that we don't need to go through a FFL for a shotgun that is legal.

Dr Rockso
11-20-2012, 12:05 PM
I just found the Calguns wiki (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Inheriting_firearms,_both_within_California_and_In terstate) (I should have noticed it before posting) but it sounds like on the bottom that we don't need to go through a FFL for a shotgun that is legal.
While bequest is an exemption to the federal requirement of FFL involvement for interstate transfers, it's not bequest if he's still alive. If he wants to give you the shotgun now you'll have to treat it like any other interstate transfer.

TheKommissar
11-20-2012, 12:10 PM
While bequest is an exemption to the federal requirement of FFL involvement for interstate transfers, it's not bequest if he's still alive. If he wants to give you the shotgun now you'll have to treat it like any other interstate transfer.

I found out more info from my mom even though it was supposed to be a secret but while he does have a O/U to give me at some point, what wants to send me now is my great grandpas double barrel shotgun that he restored so it would be C&R. I called Turner's and the guy told me that all he would have to do is mail it from himself to himself at my address. FFL is a pain in the *** for me because I just moved temporarily so I'm not going to bother with updating my drivers license.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Going through an FFL is a pain, but it is required by federal law while your uncle is still alive.

aklover_91
11-20-2012, 12:54 PM
I found out more info from my mom even though it was supposed to be a secret but while he does have a O/U to give me at some point, what wants to send me now is my great grandpas double barrel shotgun that he restored so it would be C&R. I called Turner's and the guy told me that all he would have to do is mail it from himself to himself at my address. FFL is a pain in the *** for me because I just moved temporarily so I'm not going to bother with updating my drivers license.

It's legal for him to do that.

It's a federal felony for you to open the box and take possession.

Interstate transfers among private parties are a no go.

It needs to be sent to a dealer to be transferred (for a fee) to you, where you'll receiver it after starting your DROS and waiting 10 days.

paul0660
11-20-2012, 1:05 PM
Didn't have a clue but talked to mom..........wait for it...........then talked to Turner's............wait for it.........driver's license.

Librarian
11-20-2012, 1:06 PM
You seem to have misread the wiki somewhat.

Interstate transfer - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transferring_firearms_Interstate

Inheritance - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Inheriting_firearms,_both_within_California_and_In terstate

Inheritance means the giver has passed on, and left the property to you in a will, or that the property is distributed to you 'by law' if there is no will.

G-forceJunkie
11-20-2012, 3:28 PM
The fact he is your uncle means nothing. In the eyes of the law, he is a total stranger, from another state, who wants to give you a gun. He has to send it to a CA FFL who then does the paperwork, 10 day wait, then you can pick it up. That is the only legal way untill he dies and could leave it to you in his will.

Fellblade
11-20-2012, 4:14 PM

To the OP: You list North County San Diego as your location.
For what it's worth, Wiser Owl says they do transfers for $35 including DROS. They're just north of MAS Miramar off of Miramar Road. I'm not sure what the other FFLs closer to you charge.

CSACANNONEER
11-20-2012, 4:19 PM
The state only gets $25 per transfer.

If the gun was manufactured prior to 1898, it isn't even a C&R. He can just mail (USPS) it directly to you. If it's a C&R and you do not have an 03FFL, it will have to be transfered through a CA FFL per federal law.