PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a .22 handgun...

jsipe007
11-20-2012, 8:37 AM
Hey guys Im sure this has been discussed a few times but I am looking to purchase a nice .22 handgun for my girlfriend. I'd like to keep it in the 250-350 dollar range if possible.

The guns I am looking at are:
ruger mkIII
Smith and Wesson 22A
Sig Mosquito
Ruger sr22

The gf loves the look of the mosquito and sr22. She isnt a huge fan of the mkIII but likes them better than the mkII and mkI. Ive heard that the sr22 is a really reliable gun but some aspects worry me such as the plastic guide rod. How accurate and reliable are these guns? The smith and wesson m&p22 is also a possibility.

What are your guys thoughts and why?

TMC
11-20-2012, 8:51 AM
Buy a 22 because it shoots well not for how it looks. I've shot every 22 out there from S&W to conversions on 1911 and Gock frames and the most reliable one I've found is the Browning Buckmark. Nothing is more frustrating than going to shoot and have the thing continually manfunction no matter how cool it looks. I know its not on your list but you should give it a look. They make lots of different models and there are aftermarket grips and barrels if you want to add color and make it flashy.

bobgengeskahn
11-20-2012, 8:59 AM
2nd on the Buckmark. I learned on my dads Mk.II and I now have a Buckmark URX and love it. IMHO its much more comfortable and user friendly than the Mk.II was.

BigJ
11-20-2012, 9:04 AM
I understand where the guys above are coming from, but I also think its a bit silly to ignore how a gun makes you feel when you look at it or hold it. You've just gotta like the thing; any car will get you where you need to go, but there's something all kinds of different about the experience when driving a car you love to drive...

I have heard great things about the SR22. Its on my short list in fact. That would be my choice.

Do a YouTube search on it and see what folks have to say. Lots of good thorough reviews out there.

jsipe007
11-20-2012, 9:39 AM
The browning buckmark definitely is on my list, thanks for pointing that out. I neglected to mention it earlier. I understand where you guys are coming from, I really do. This will be her first gun and I just want to make sure I do my research and get her something she will love and be able to have for a long time. I just was trying to hear what some of my options are and what people recommend.

I'll have her try a browning buckmark and see how it feels. She really likes the look of the buckmark, so we may have found a winner! I just hope its not too heavy on the pocketbook! LOL oh well it'll definitely be worth it

spetsnaz
11-20-2012, 9:42 AM
ruger mk ii/iii

BitterOldMan
11-20-2012, 9:44 AM
Read the reviews on the Sig Mosquito before purchasing one. The gun is very picky on ammo, with CCI MiniMags recommended. I purchased one before reading the reviews. The gun is made of cheap pot metal. The range officer at Jackson Arms showed me a Mosquito that had blown-up barrel.

I also own Ruger Mk II and Mk I, which are super reliable guns. One year I shot 5,000 round through the Mk II and finally the extractor fell off. But even without an extractor, the cartridges came out with the gun's blowback action. When the cartridges hit me in the head, I realized the extractor broke off. The Mk II and Mk I are difficult to clean for newbies. Mk II and Mk I are not on the roster, so you will have to PPT one.

tbhracing
11-20-2012, 9:52 AM
Tagged. I too like the look of the Sig, but the Browning seems to be a favorite.

Vacaville
11-20-2012, 9:57 AM
My wife has adopted my Ruger 22/45 as her own. Can't go wrong with a 22/45.

mxadam579
11-20-2012, 10:01 AM
RUGER MARKIII HUNTER

shortyforty
11-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Hey guys, I own the Sig mosquito. Its a piece of junk. Its been sitting for more than a year now because the last time I shot it the entire safety mechanism broke and went all over the ground at the range. Sig wants $55 for a shipping label. The gun would never function properly with bulk ammo and has frustrated me since day 1. My advice....almost anything would be better than the sig. You will spend more time clearing malfunctions than shooting the gun. I wish I was exagerating. :mad:

jsipe007
11-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Well I'm glad I didn't do anything rash like purchase a sig mosquito! I had heard they were finicky on ammo but that doesn't sound too promising.

Thankfully Im in Reno, NV so roster isn't an issue... I hear the MK series are great but hard to clean.

What have people heard about the M&P 22? Theres one for sale here locally at a great price.

My coworker has a browning and absolutely loves it. It has been completely reliable for him. Maybe I'll convince him to take myself and my girlfriend out so she can shoot it...

dpop24
11-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Depends if she wants accuracy or just plain fun. I spent a mint making a dedicated .22lr version of my HD gun (Beretta Vertec 96) just so I can cheaply practice with the same platform as I'll be protecting my family with. Believe it or not, the .40 version is more accurate than the .22lr version, but it is FUUUUNN to shoot. My groups with the .22 Beretta Vertec are all over the place. On the other hand, I can shoot incredibly tight groups with my brother's MKIII which he got for just a little over half of what my Beretta cost me.

It all depends on what she considers fun - throwing lead downrange or shooting tight groups.

wc12
11-20-2012, 1:32 PM
Mosquito is an excellent gun! It taught my son how to clear jams. Who knows when this knowledge will come to good use. Seriously, I'm lucky my mosquito is eating the CCI blazer with very few malfunctions. I use federal bulk if I want to train newbies on how to clear jams.

fmunk
11-20-2012, 1:45 PM
Take the Mosquito off your list and replace it with M&P 22. Add GSG 1911/22.

TheDeej
11-20-2012, 2:07 PM
Another vote for a Buckmark.

My wife doesn't like the sights on mine but that's an easy fix. Accurate, reliable (for a .22LR), and comfortable.
If you are used to handling 1911's the Buckmark or Ruger 22/45 will feel right at home.

glock_this
11-20-2012, 2:21 PM
Walther P22.. love it

AR22
11-20-2012, 3:37 PM
My wife really likes her SR22. Has been a reliable little Handgun and shoots the cheapest .22 ammo out there..

HK Chef
11-20-2012, 3:48 PM
Wife loves her Walther P22 as do I. Hell they even have a Pink Camo one if shes into that kinda thing.

OIF0708
11-20-2012, 3:59 PM
My wife really likes her SR22. Has been a reliable little Handgun and shoots the cheapest .22 ammo out there..

Same here, my wife "liked" shooting with me before but I didn't own a .22 rifle or handgun. The last time I asked her to go she didn't really want to. I had purchased a Ruger SR22 and a S&W 15-22 and now she keeps asking me, when are we going shooting again. Now I'm looking at getting another .22 of some sort, maybe a M&P 22 and a Ruger 10/22.

TMC
11-20-2012, 4:30 PM
I understand where the guys above are coming from, but I also think its a bit silly to ignore how a gun makes you feel when you look at it or hold it. You've just gotta like the thing; any car will get you where you need to go, but there's something all kinds of different about the experience when driving a car you love to drive...

That's all well and good but if every other time you pull the trigger it malfunctions she will not like going shooting. She will get frustrated and think there's something wrong with her or the gun or think that's how all shooting is.

I have a Walther P22 and its a cool looking little gun but I've only had it out a couple times becuase its unreliable. I still have it because it looks cool but I don't shoot it anymore. I've also got one of the sexiest looking 10/22 you've ever seen with lots of cool parts but it doesn't go bang everytime. Rather than keep tinkering with it I just take out my bone stock 10/22 becuase it never fails. After the shine wears off the new gun its all about shooting and hitting what you aim at. When that doesn't go well it gets pretty depressing.

orangeusa
11-20-2012, 4:39 PM
I pondered the Ruger Mark family vs. a 92FS 22LR and ended up getting a Ciener 22LR (two of them) for my 92's. It's more accurate than any gun I have. I've torn a 2" hole with few flyers with 50 rounds and my buddies have tried it and love it also. And surprisingly it's as reliable as the 22LR rounds are. I had a Ruger OM Single Six, which has to be the cleanest strike on a 22LR, and STILL had 1% FTF. Which is about where the Ciener kit is.

I've not tried the 'official' Beretta 22LR kit. The Ciener (if you can find them) run $200 to $250. I bought both of mine used and it's hard to tell either has had a round through them. The Beretta kits are about 50-75% more.

Yes, somebody will post that Ciener is out of business. Not true.

Depends if she wants accuracy or just plain fun. I spent a mint making a dedicated .22lr version of my HD gun (Beretta Vertec 96) just so I can cheaply practice with the same platform as I'll be protecting my family with. Believe it or not, the .40 version is more accurate than the .22lr version, but it is FUUUUNN to shoot. My groups with the .22 Beretta Vertec are all over the place. On the other hand, I can shoot incredibly tight groups with my brother's MKIII which he got for just a little over half of what my Beretta cost me.

It all depends on what she considers fun - throwing lead downrange or shooting tight groups.

This kit makes no financial sense unless you already have a 92 or 96.. :)

And a buddy of mine has a Mosquito, which he can ONLY run CCI's through it. Gack. Who wants that? I've run a LOT of Federal 525/550 pack ammo through the Ciener...

Socalman
11-21-2012, 9:06 AM
My vote for Ruger 22/45. Eats any and all ammo I have given it.

I would advise staying away from the Sig Mosquito. This gun is also known as the Jam-O-Matic, though I understand the newer ones are better.

Tarn_Helm
11-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Hey guys Im sure this has been discussed a few times but I am looking to purchase a nice .22 handgun for my girlfriend. I'd like to keep it in the 250-350 dollar range if possible.

ruger mkIII
Smith and Wesson 22A
Sig Mosquito
Ruger sr22

The gf loves the look of the mosquito and sr22. She isnt a huge fan of the mkIII but likes them better than the mkII and mkI. Ive heard that the sr22 is a really reliable gun but some aspects worry me such as the plastic guide rod. How accurate and reliable are these guns? The smith and wesson m&p22 is also a possibility.

Consider the Browning 1911-22 A1 (http://www.gunblast.com/Browning-1911-22.htm).

Easier to field strip.

Good ergonomics.

Resembles a 1911.

What's not to like?
:D

Mesa Tactical
11-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Smith & Wesson Model 617, 10 shots, 6" barrel, full length ejector shroud.

eyeruh
11-21-2012, 3:12 PM

Ditto. SR22 for my wife, fits her smaller hands too.

Mulie
11-22-2012, 10:29 PM
I have a Ruger MKII Target all tricked out and my son has a box stock Buckmark Camper and I like shooting the Buckmark better than my much more expensive Ruger. The Buckmark just feels right and is scary accurate.

Sosoomi
11-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Just make sure you factor in an optic...red dot probably....

The other thing to factor in is your ego...she'll prolly kick your butt after the first one or two outings....funny about women that way.... I had to re adjust my GF's RD to have a chance against her... We shoot steel mostly...

Ron-Solo
11-22-2012, 11:30 PM
I have a Ruger MKIII with the 5.5" bull barrel that is amazingly accurate and fun to shoot. It eats anything I feed it. I just got an SR22P and have put about 100 rounds thru it without complaint.

For revolvers, you can't beat any S&W .22 revolver or the Ruger Single Six. Both are great.

I love .22 handguns. Just plain fun.

OUTLAWZ
11-23-2012, 2:15 AM
Ruger SR22. Great all around gun for every level of shooter with lots of features. (Single action/Double action/Ambidexterous Thumb Safety & Decocking Lever/Trigger Safety/Fixed Front & Adjustable Rear Sight/Picatinny Rail) Not ammo picky. Easy to break down for cleaning. Lastly, it's very affordable. I picked mine up from Reed's in Santa Clara for $420.00 OTD (Tax & DROS included). Comes with 2 magazines, 2 different size grips (Keep the small one that comes on the gun if this is for a female shooter. Changing them out requires some muscling but necessary if you need a bigger grip.), lock and carrying case. You can not go wrong with it, Hope this helps.

Leon

HogKiller
11-23-2012, 9:07 PM
I have a Ruger MKIII with the 5.5" bull barrel that is amazingly accurate and fun to shoot. It eats anything I feed it. I just got an SR22P and have put about 100 rounds thru it without complaint.

For revolvers, you can't beat any S&W .22 revolver or the Ruger Single Six. Both are great.

I love .22 handguns. Just plain fun.

+1 on the MkIII, of course if the factory was off on their assembly it's a ***** to get back together, like mine is. I could send it back but I'm too lazy, prefer to ***** about it. I've got 7 days before my SR22 comes home for my wife to use.

Goop
11-23-2012, 9:37 PM
I'm not a big fan of tactical combat looking 22lr pistols like the Sig Mosquito or Walther P22. Its a small game and plinking round, not a combat round. The firearm should reflect that.

Anyway i would lean towards the Buckmark or the Mark III.

925topher
11-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I vote the M&P 22, it is accurate and very reliable.

loose_electron
11-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Mosquito is an excellent gun! It taught my son how to clear jams. Who knows when this knowledge will come to good use. Seriously, I'm lucky my mosquito is eating the CCI blazer with very few malfunctions. I use federal bulk if I want to train newbies on how to clear jams.

The Mosquito requires a little internal smoothing of contact surfaces and then it becomes a whole lot more reliable.

With CCI minimags 100% jam free, with bulk ammo, some jamming due to inconsistent ammo in my opinion.

What about the S&W 22A? That eats bulk ammo without fail all day long.

Tjfearl
11-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Another for the Buck Mark. It has been around for ages and keeps going. I will be getting a new one in February.

0321jarhead
11-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Ruger MKIII. I still shoot my 1981 Ruger MKI in Matches and it still gets me 1st place now and then. Gotta love'em.

sarabellum
11-24-2012, 1:07 PM

ruger mkIII
Smith and Wesson 22A
Sig Mosquito
Ruger sr22

All of the .22s on your proposed list are so very different. I wonder what some of your interests are.

Outdoors
Smith & Wesson Model 41, target: precise and fun target shooting.
Smith & Wesson Model 622: emulates a combat handgun for practice and fun taget shooting.
Colt woodsman and all clones including Norinco: target, precise, and good for the outdoors.

Concealed carry
the Daewoo DP52: concealed carry PP clone.
Seecamp 22: concealed carry PP clone.
Bersa Thunder 22: concealed carry PP clone.
HK 4: concealed carry Mauser clone.
Phoenix 22: concealed carry PP clone, affordable.

DA/SA revolvers
Revolvers are too under rated in general. Some revolvers come with 10+ shot cylinders. Too cool.

Polymer
I wish more .22s came with a polymer frame like the Kel-tec PMR 30. You can bang up a polymer while camping without suffering from blued metal heebie jeebies.

The keys to any pistol purchase are purpose, comfort, price, and mags, mags, mags. Heck, you have lots of purposes in your proposed list; good for you. Test fire as many .22s as you and your loved ones can until you find the ones most comfortable for you...reloading...cycling...cleaning, etc! My mom has arthritic hands and she cannot operate a semi-auto slide.

I am budget conscious; I refuse to pay over $300 for any handgun. Throw rocks at me all you want but that's how I roll. You can buy a lot of handgun for $300 (Walter P1) or $150 (phoenix) or $100 (Nagant revolver) for that matter if you are persistent and hold out for what you want.

You could buy the coolest handgun around like the Walter P88 but not be able to do what it is intended to do- shoot like hell- because the mags are $50 each (damn! Does each mag come with a complimentary dinner for 4?).

Maybe, Calguns could have a theme shoot at a range near you called "Pushing pins." That has to be the glory of the .22- it is pin point accurate. Enjoy your exploration!

cebuvfr
11-24-2012, 1:36 PM
Ruger mk3 target or an Sr22.

drifter2be
11-24-2012, 1:59 PM
Ruger SR22. Close second for me would be the Walther P22

I had both, kept the SR22. My P22 took a little effort to make into a gun that would eat any brand 22 ammo, but was slightly more accurate than the SR22. I kept the SR22 because it was more reliable out of the box than the P22 was and because I wasn't a huge fan of the mag release paddle that walther uses on their polymer guns. That said my SR22 eats any ammo, delivers reasonable plinking groups shooting offhand with bulk ammo, even the notorious Remington Golden Bullets, and delivers more than satisfactory groups with "good" ammo like CCI Mini-mags.

If you want accuracy, Ruger MKIII, if it is just a plinking toy, which is what I wanted, you will be really happy with an SR22

Gem1950
11-24-2012, 9:40 PM
SR22

OutlawStar
11-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Its a little high on your price scale but consider the M&P22. I got mine for $400 out the door after taxes and dros. It feels like a full size M&P, very accurate and I'm mostly shocked in that it has gone through a box of Federal bulk, Remington Subsonics, and a couple boxes of CCI minimags while cycling without hesitation.

The only thing it hasn't cycled were CCI quiet and CCI shotshells.

I got the M&P22 over the SR22 because the Ruger just felt too small in my hands. If your girlfriend likes the feel of the SR22 I've been hearing good things about it. The sales guy said the SR22 feels like it has more recoil or is "snappier" likely because its smaller and lighter.

If you're in ventura come to the calguns shoot and you guys can shoot as much ammo from my M&P as you want.