PDA

View Full Version : Savage Mark II dilema

Javi
11-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Not a bad problem to have but I need help between two variants :)

My plans for the rifle: It will be chambered in .22lr to keep things cheap and since I already have the ammo for it. I want to use this for 100 yard shooting and maybe out to 150yd. Will want to get a bipod for it to shoot prone and might do some off-hand shooting if it's not too awkward to do. A good scope is a must as it doesn't come with iron sights.

Mark II TR(MSRP $515):

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/610/jvS4TwevG_CjQG1MUJg.png

Mark II FV-SR(MSRP-$260):

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/900/y368Zlzsj_1fzw1fMb3.png

I just found out about that FV-SR variant and I love the price and that it also has that over-sized bolt handle(Big reason I like the TR). I think a good sale price for the TR is in the low $400's. I will try to find both in store to handle but I've never held a rifle with that type of stock like the TR before. Is it designed with bench/prone in mind only? That rifle is also 2 lbs. heavier with a 22" barrel vs 16.5" @ 5.5lbs.

shortyforty
11-19-2012, 11:45 PM
I was eyeballing the Mark II FV-SR. My LGS can get this one for $204. I personally like the look of the target stock and the longer barrel on the other model though. I'm with ya on the tactical bolt handle. Looks cool! If money isn't a problem I'd go for the TR:D

Javi
11-19-2012, 11:55 PM
I was eyeballing the Mark II FV-SR. My LGS can get this one for $204. I personally like the look of the target stock and the longer barrel on the other model though. I'm with ya on the tactical bolt handle. Looks cool! If money isn't a problem I'd go for the TR:D

Damn, very nice price. Who is your local shop? I really like both but it would take a little longer to get the "TR" as it is a $200-300 difference.

shortyforty
11-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Just did a price check on the TR...$401. Man .....you see what you started..LOL The TR is my fav for sure!

shortyforty
11-20-2012, 12:07 AM
Damn, very nice price. Who is your local shop? I really like both but it would take a little longer to get the "TR" as it is a $200-300 difference.
The pic I saw on "Davidsons" shows the TR w/out the tactical bolt handle. Maybe the pick is outdated. That bolt is a selling point for me. Definitely.

shortyforty
11-20-2012, 12:11 AM

I use the dealer locator on the Davidson's gallery of guns web-site. The price I quoted was from Mike's Gun Broker in Hesperia. You may have a dealer closer to you that has a price similar to theirs.

Javi
11-20-2012, 12:15 AM
I use the dealer locator on the Davidson's gallery of guns web-site. The price I quoted was from Mike's Gun Broker in Hesperia. You may have a dealer closer to you that has a price similar to theirs.

Oh, okay. Yes, I was also using Gallery of Guns for quotes on both rifles.

shortyforty
11-20-2012, 12:19 AM
If you are in Chino, the best price I see on the SR is $224 at Central jewelry and loan, Ontario. 47 available. Next best is Ammo bros in Ontario. They are @ $237.

Excaliburr
11-20-2012, 6:50 AM
Lets see, I don't think you were talking of price, so lets instead look at practicality. I am sure you know how to shop for price once you have decided on which one you want to get. It boils down to use and what you get for the extra $. I mean a bigger bolt knob is something you can change if you want later. A friend of mine on these forums has a thread on installing a tear drop bolt knob on various guns..so no big deal. I can tell you that 2 extra pounds is a big deal if you actually want to hunt with the gun (that is a big deal to me). What is the point of the larger barrel...to dissapate heat. In the case of my bull barrel guns, they always find a bipod & that is extra weight too! The stocks are more of a preference issue and what feels good to you. So, you really need to handle both. In the case of 22LR, the length of barrel is not too important, as both are proven shooters and the scope is more important to accuracy. If you had a larger caliber centerfire, then length of barrel is more important to the speed of the projectile because the longer length allows for more powder burn and thus higher velocity. I know personally, if I were looking for a good bolt action new, I would go with a CZ or a Savage 93 depending on my budget, but again that is simply opinion. Also for me, I am not into all the looks and fluff. What is important to me is how competant the rifle is as well as the optics. The less expensive one can save you $ and you can allocate those $ to the optics and you will be GTG. For just straight up putting lots of lead downrange, the bull barrels are better, but I wouldn't want one on a day of hunting where I intend to shoot just a few shots to bring home dinner.

Javi
11-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Lets see, I don't think you were talking of price, so lets instead look at practicality. I am sure you know how to shop for price once you have decided on which one you want to get. It boils down to use and what you get for the extra $. I mean a bigger bolt knob is something you can change if you want later. A friend of mine on these forums has a thread on installing a tear drop bolt knob on various guns..so no big deal. I can tell you that 2 extra pounds is a big deal if you actually want to hunt with the gun (that is a big deal to me). What is the point of the larger barrel...to dissapate heat. In the case of my bull barrel guns, they always find a bipod & that is extra weight too! The stocks are more of a preference issue and what feels good to you. So, you really need to handle both. In the case of 22LR, the length of barrel is not too important, as both are proven shooters and the scope is more important to accuracy. If you had a larger caliber centerfire, then length of barrel is more important to the speed of the projectile because the longer length allows for more powder burn and thus higher velocity. I know personally, if I were looking for a good bolt action new, I would go with a CZ or a Savage 93 depending on my budget, but again that is simply opinion. Also for me, I am not into all the looks and fluff. What is important to me is how competant the rifle is as well as the optics. The less expensive one can save you $ and you can allocate those $ to the optics and you will be GTG. For just straight up putting lots of lead downrange, the bull barrels are better, but I wouldn't want one on a day of hunting where I intend to shoot just a few shots to bring home dinner.
Thanks for the reply! I live in the suburbs so there's no varmints to take out. This is purely for recreation. If I were, the FV-SR would be the clear choice as it's lighter and easier to handle in thick brush. I don't think I will be lugging it very much out in the desert. Just taking it out of the trunk and plopping it on the ground. I'm trying to research a new bolt handle for the Savage and I don't think the handle itself can be taken out without being cut or having a .new bolt assembly all together. The FV-SR looks to be base model pricing. Ahh there we go. I wasn't sure if the longer barrel helped a ton or not. I might try further than 150 yards for fun & if I get good enough to touch steel out there :) Ah, I'd like to get a .22 chambered in magnum but I want to keep the plinking/target shooting cheap since I already have .22lr. Don't know why but the 'tactical' models just look like a lot of fun to shoot. I've handled a Savage .17hmr with a regular bolt and manipulating it was fine but the over-sized just seems easier to work with.

0351USMC
11-20-2012, 10:55 AM
I have FV-SR in Jail now, paid $275 OTD from gallery of guns to my FFL.

shortyforty
11-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Congrats on your new rifle! Post a range report when you get it so dreamers like me can see what she can do...LOL:D

Javi
11-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Any TR owners wan to chime in?

JNunez23
11-20-2012, 11:41 AM
I'd jump in for $204..that's a steal for that rifle.

SilentPea
11-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Barrel length/threading and stock type are the only real differences.

You can get the TR stock from Boyd's for about $95, but you will HAVE to buy a trigger guard and possibly magazine plate which is another $20-30.

Then you can choose the shorter threaded barrel or the longer non-threaded barrel. If you run a scope you likely won't see much accuracy difference.

I run iron sights on my rifles, so I would choose the TR for extended sight radius immediately. If you run a scope, either one works.

Stoopy
11-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Any TR owners wan to chime in?

I like my tr. the stock is pretty good. I cleaned up the bolt a little so it cycles easier, worked over the trigger, installed DIP bottom metal and 25 moa base. It shoots pretty well with wolf match.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/21/pejagebe.jpg

Javi
11-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Really wish most of Savage's rifles came with irons. I know they have a few mk ii's with em but I'm set on the tacticool savage rifles. How expensive is it for a smith to install some? I wondr if that rail on top of the FV is removeable. Do plan on buying a scope up to $200 to slap on. I'm going to Turners after work to fondle.

Stoopy
11-20-2012, 3:40 PM
The rail should just unscrew.

mjmagee67
11-20-2012, 6:03 PM
I would just get a Mark II FV shoot it for a while, then if you want to throw a bunch of money at it you can. I have a 12 FV and love it, I thought of getting a target/tactical stock for it, but after shooting it a while I started to like the stock stock! Now I just shoot it! Spend my money on ammo, reloading supplies, and shooting supplies!

Javi
11-20-2012, 6:25 PM
I would just get a Mark II FV shoot it for a while, then if you want to throw a bunch of money at it you can. I have a 12 FV and love it, I thought of getting a target/tactical stock for it, but after shooting it a while I started to like the stock stock! Now I just shoot it! Spend my money on ammo, reloading supplies, and shooting supplies!
I think I will go that route. The TR is freakin' awesome looking with that stock & long barrel but I could get a sweet setup for the same price of a TR with no optic or bipod. Turners was very busy tonight but I didn't see either of these rifles on the rack =/

mjmagee67
11-20-2012, 8:29 PM
I think I will go that route. The TR is freakin' awesome looking with that stock & long barrel but I could get a sweet setup for the same price of a TR with no optic or bipod. Turners was very busy tonight but I didn't see either of these rifles on the rack =/

TR has a 16.5 inch Barrel and the FV has a 21 inch barrel!

mjmagee67
11-20-2012, 8:29 PM

Well I guess the TRR-SR has a 22 inch barrel!

Javi
11-20-2012, 8:50 PM

Well I guess the TRR-SR has a 22 inch barrel!

The Savage site says TR: 22", FV-SR: 16.5".