PDA

View Full Version : Manufacturer replaced my receiver out of state, CA DOJ info needed please!

THEJAPINO
11-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Happy holidays! I visited my folks out of state and took the opportunity to bring my defective handgun receiver to the manufacturer (same town) to get warranty work done. They decided to replace the receiver with a new one plus a new serial number. The sales person said that there is nothing wrong with the owner of the firearm personally bringing his firearm to the original manufacturer for warranty work that may result in replacing the numbered receiver. I asked if he knew what I needed to do to keep the CA DOJ happy and he wasn't sure of my state laws.

What else would I need to do to keep myself legal as far as handgun registration, crossing state lines, and the CA DOJ? I don't wanna meet Bubba on the inside...

Thanks everyone and have a safe holiday!!

Ron-Solo
11-19-2012, 10:12 PM
I would submit a VolReg form and be done with it.

THEJAPINO
11-19-2012, 10:17 PM
That's what I was thinking. I believe it's a form I can print out and send to them +$18, correct? Would that be ok with a SSE pistol?

SMR510
11-19-2012, 10:37 PM
I could be wrong but I believe since they consider the frame the firearm it would need to be re-DROSed...

NSR500
11-19-2012, 10:40 PM
My friend had a defective Glock that was sent back. Glock just replaced the whole gun and my buddy had to re-dros.

THEJAPINO
11-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Hmmm, I never shipped the receiver anywhere. I transported it with me across state lines. The manufacturer replaced it within 5 minutes and I never left the shop. If I were to bring it back into CA, would I be committing a felony because the firearm didn't go through an FFL while crossing state lines?

I'm gonna give the CA DOJ a call and see what they say. Does anyone else have any ideas or experience with this? Thanks again Calgunners!

Red Devil
11-19-2012, 11:01 PM
The frame/receiver is the gun.

New frame/receiver... new SN... new DROS.

Skeeeeroood.

You already own it. You should have the usual time to register it. I assume like a PPT to yourself. (bizarro LeftCoastastan)

THEJAPINO
11-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Okay, makes sense. New question: Will it be ok for me to bring it with me into CA and hand deliver it to my FFL? I know it is ok in the case of an interstate intrafamilial transfer where the father/son brings the handgun into the state acting as the deliverer. Still legal?

Red Devil
11-20-2012, 6:51 AM
This is getting into "the Librarian" territory, as I try to spend as little time as possible in the Soviet Province of LeftCostastan... of dealin' w/ their Apparatchik agencies and Draconian Laws.

That said, you own it. If it is legal to possess w/in the Province, you should be OK.

It will, however, cause noise/carbon/lead pollution as well as contribute to AGW. It will also scare sh*tless Libtards who consider them unleashed pit-bulls w/ a mind and will of their own...

...so tread lightly. (while they stomp the crap out of your Unalienable Constitutional Rights)

ke6guj
11-20-2012, 7:03 AM
Okay, makes sense. New question: Will it be ok for me to bring it with me into CA and hand deliver it to my FFL? if it is a crime to import it yourself, it doesn't matter if you are importing it to bring it to an FFL.

I know it is ok in the case of an interstate intrafamilial transfer where the father/son brings the handgun into the state acting as the deliverer. Still legal?it is only ok for the transferor to bring it to the instate FFL, not for the transferee.

federal law allows for you to send a firearm to an FFL for repair or replacement, so I think that no federal law was violated in this case. And since you were not in CA at the time, you didn't violate CA law. at this point, you might be considered a personal handgun importer, so the personal handgun importer form might be the best one to use. Oh, and I'd fill out an NLIP form on the old gun to get your AFS records updated to show that you reported that you no longer have that handgun.

smittty
11-20-2012, 2:38 PM
gawd you guys are beating this to death with your guessing. call doj for instructions.

You did not commit a crime by having your gun repaired and bringing it back with you even if it has a new receiver.

the doj isn't there to make a criminal out of you.

readysetgo
11-20-2012, 2:43 PM
gawd you guys are beating this to death with your guessing. call doj for instructions.

You did not commit a crime by having your gun repaired and bringing it back with you even if it has a new receiver.

What exactly are they there for then? To help?

LBDamned
11-20-2012, 2:45 PM

what's the fun in that?... then the keyboard calegalites would get bored.

bohoki
11-20-2012, 2:49 PM
you need to fill out the personal handgun importer form basically the volreg

i cant think of any law you broke it would have been nice if the company gave you an identical serial but it is required to be on an identical frame so if say you have a gen 1 glock and get a gen 2 they cant mark it identical

CSACANNONEER
11-20-2012, 2:56 PM
Jus make sure to call DOJ 3 seperate time and ask the exact same questions each time. When you're done, you will probably have 4 different answers which all conflict with each other. Personally, I'm done calling DOJ to ask about any laws. The only DOJ employee who I would believe is the custodian. Those answering the phone don't have a clue and what they tell you is not binding. If they give you bad advise over the phone and you follow it, you might break a law and be prosecuted for it. Their phone advise does not hold any legal weight.

Czsp-01-9mm
11-20-2012, 3:11 PM
Or wait for librarian to chime in, he should know

Red Devil
11-20-2012, 3:38 PM
...the doj isn't there to make a criminal out of you.

Even if that is Exactly what they do do. (dodo...)

http://cdn.ammoland.com/files/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/2nd-amendment-is-my-permit.jpg

The road to Hell is paved by Liberals... w/ your Liberties.

Librarian
11-20-2012, 4:39 PM
Happy holidays! I visited my folks out of state and took the opportunity to bring my defective handgun receiver to the manufacturer (same town) to get warranty work done. They decided to replace the receiver with a new one plus a new serial number. The sales person said that there is nothing wrong with the owner of the firearm personally bringing his firearm to the original manufacturer for warranty work that may result in replacing the numbered receiver. I asked if he knew what I needed to do to keep the CA DOJ happy and he wasn't sure of my state laws.

What else would I need to do to keep myself legal as far as handgun registration, crossing state lines, and the CA DOJ? I don't wanna meet Bubba on the inside...

Thanks everyone and have a safe holiday!!

Jus make sure to call DOJ 3 seperate time and ask the exact same questions each time. When you're done, you will probably have 4 different answers which all conflict with each other. ...

I'm going to do what DOJ seldom does - say I don't know.

I think - think, mind you - that new SN means new gun means new DROS. I've read anecdotes where the repairing manufacturer has stamped the same SN on the replacement.

But where are we now, and how do we dot the i's and cross the t's?

The laws are written with an eye to the Hardened Criminal, not the Guy Who Innocently Screwed Up. There's no obvious 'blessed' way to recover.

I fully recognize that's not very helpful.

In a rational world, if such an event were detected, a prosecutor would 'no bill' the thing; the OP certainly had no intention of committing a crime, and the manufacturer committed no crime and the OP is not, one presumes, a 'prohibited person', and the OP still has just the same number and same kind of guns he had to start with, so 'no harm, no foul'.

California is not a rational world. It's very difficult to argue 'low risk, rely on a sane prosecutor's office' in California. (Again, anecdotes suggest there are some sane prosecutor's offices, but relying on being in one of those jurisdictions is not a Legal Strategy.)

SMR510
11-20-2012, 6:43 PM
I would ship it to your FFL and redros it, tell the manufacture that they should pay for shipping and your DROS fees.

smittty
11-21-2012, 9:20 PM
I would ship it to your FFL and redros it, tell the manufacture that they should pay for shipping and your DROS fees.

I wouldn't redros it but I would keep record of the repair.

norcalsig
11-21-2012, 9:28 PM
Wait, you said you were visiting your folks from put of state, right? Are you sure your mother or father didn't gift you this new gun? If they did, you can just send in the volreg form. And the other form to notify them of your destroyed previous handgun.....

Ron-Solo
11-21-2012, 10:52 PM
Wait, you said you were visiting your folks from put of state, right? Are you sure your mother or father didn't gift you this new gun? If they did, you can just send in the volreg form. And the other form to notify them of your destroyed previous handgun.....

No, because Intrafamilial transfers from residents of two different states must go thru an FFL.

It was not illegal for the manufacturer to replace the gun because he brought it directly to the manufacturer in person. Since it has a new serial number, the VolReg will handle the DROS issue. The manufacturer can also ship a replacement directly to the customer per federal law.

The VolReg form is simple, and takes care of DROS information. The desire of the state is to get the gun into the system. It isn't necessary to make this harder than it should be.

The personal importer form is for someone moving into CA from another state.