PDA

View Full Version : Another "hypothetical" threads

Carnivore
11-19-2012, 6:18 PM
Ok so let's say a friend has been working in AZ and applied for a AZ ID and got it. Now he has a California DL and has a house "residence" here but while in AZ he bought an AR-15. Now I say he can't legally bring it here to shoot it and then leave it at his house. He needs to take it back and leave it in AZ.

Am I right in assuming that he can't legally have it here (California) per ATF being that he bought it out of state from his resident state and took possession there? If so can he go through an FFL there, ship it to an FFL here wait the 10 days and retrieve it? If not anyone have a legal way for him to get it here or is he SOL?

Again totally hypothetical and didn't really happen because someone doesn't understand how gun laws work. Then again maybe I don't and he would be in the clear.

njineermike
11-19-2012, 6:25 PM
Ok so let's say a friend has been working in AZ and applied for a AZ ID and got it. Now he has a California DL and has a house "residence" here but while in AZ he bought an AR-15. Now I say he can't legally bring it here to shoot it and then leave it at his house. He needs to take it back and leave it in AZ.

Am I right in assuming that he can't legally have it here (California) per ATF being that he bought it out of state from his resident state and took possession there? If so can he go through an FFL there, ship it to an FFL here wait the 10 days and retrieve it? If not anyone have a legal way for him to get it here or is he SOL?

Again totally hypothetical and didn't really happen because someone doesn't understand how gun laws work. Then again maybe I don't and he would be in the clear.

Isn't state law once you get a job in said state, you are then required to change your residence to that state? If he did that (and it was a legal residence change), wouldn't what he bought be 100% legal, redardless of where he has a house? The only issue in that would be if the gun is "california compliant" meaning 10 rd mag and a BB.

diginit
11-19-2012, 6:41 PM
Bringing an AW from Az. Nv. Oregon, where ever.... across state lines into ca? Equals busted...
Put a BB on it... Even I know that much... Once a person enters any state, county or city. They are subject to their laws. LONG LIVE THE KING!

Librarian
11-19-2012, 7:56 PM
Residence is tricky, and generally requires more information than should be shared on the internet to make a good guess.

Your hypothetical doesn't give enough information to decide if the person in AZ would have been an AZ resident or a CA resident.

Since (a) there is not enough info and (b) 'enough info' is none of our business, hypothetical thread closed.