PDA

View Full Version : JailBroken M&P Shield

DriftinG Z32
11-19-2012, 5:30 PM
Finally took her home today... Range report later this week.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/solryda/FireArms/image.jpg

kf6tac
11-19-2012, 5:41 PM
Sweet looking little gun. SSE, or are you roster-exempt? How long was the wait?

jyo
11-19-2012, 5:44 PM
Very cool---enjoy---don't forget to report back!

bsg
11-19-2012, 6:12 PM
congrats.

mijo45
11-19-2012, 6:20 PM
Sweet looking little gun. SSE, or are you roster-exempt? How long was the wait?

these guns are on the ca approved list

kf6tac
11-19-2012, 6:26 PM
these guns are on the ca approved list

As far as I know, the CA-approved version is not being shipped to stores yet. OP didn't include a picture of the top of the slide, but I'm guessing his is the non-CA version without the ugly orange loaded chamber indicator.

unamused
11-19-2012, 6:43 PM
As far as I know, the CA-approved version is not being shipped to stores yet. OP didn't include a picture of the top of the slide, but I'm guessing his is the non-CA version without the ugly orange loaded chamber indicator.

my LGS has already had a couple shipments of the CA approved versions. They have just sold out very quickly.

That said, I believe the non CA version has writing on the slide that says "this gun can fire without a magazine inserted" or something to that extent because it does not have the mag safety.

I am SSE'ing a shield 40, pick it up on the 27th. I didnt want a silly LCI and mag safety!

kf6tac
11-19-2012, 6:51 PM
my LGS has already had a couple shipments of the CA approved versions. They have just sold out very quickly.

Oh, interesting. I wonder if any shops out in my area have gotten the CA versions yet. The last I'd seen (in a post around here on CG, somewhere) was that shops were being told by S&W that the CA version was being pushed to December.

mijo45
11-19-2012, 7:04 PM
that sucks! i want one of these but hate waiting! lol will see if i can talk to wife into it for christmas

GunDog
11-19-2012, 7:31 PM
The M&P Shield is S W E E T. I want one B A D, but it's gotta be a non-Calif, un-neutured model. Looks like a great candidate for concealed carry. I'm calling PRK in Fresno tomorrow; hope they're doing SSEs on the Shield.

Legasat
11-19-2012, 7:52 PM
Keep hoping mine will come in SOON!

Congrats!

kf6tac
11-19-2012, 9:00 PM
Keep hoping mine will come in SOON!

Congrats!

How long have you been waiting?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DriftinG Z32
11-19-2012, 9:18 PM
Thanks! It's a Non-Ca neutered model. I'm not sure when the Ca model will ship. I've been told by a S&W rep that December is the target month, but who knows. If all goes well at the range, this will replace my S&W 340PD.

skosh69
11-19-2012, 9:55 PM
Congrats, hope you love yours as much as the rest of us love ours!

unamused
11-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Oh, interesting. I wonder if any shops out in my area have gotten the CA versions yet. The last I'd seen (in a post around here on CG, somewhere) was that shops were being told by S&W that the CA version was being pushed to December.

yeah, I heard that they are bumping back their availability date, makes no sense to me though since some have already made it out. I also read they are upping the msrp.

unamused
11-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Thanks! It's a Non-Ca neutered model. I'm not sure when the Ca model will ship. I've been told by a S&W rep that December is the target month, but who knows. If all goes well at the range, this will replace my S&W 340PD.

sweet!! yes, the NON-CA version is DEFINITELY the way to go!!

I think I will end up picking up the 9mm version as well.... im going to reorg my ccw and im thinking shield 9,40, and something in .45...

DriftinG Z32
11-20-2012, 1:24 AM
sweet!! yes, the NON-CA version is DEFINITELY the way to go!!

I think I will end up picking up the 9mm version as well.... im going to reorg my ccw and im thinking shield 9,40, and something in .45...

The Springfield XDs .45 is next on my list

PsychGuy274
11-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Finally took her home today... Range report later this week.

How ON EARTH did you get one?! I've been to just about every shop out here in Colorado and when I ask for one they just laugh at me! :D

Anxiously waiting the range report!

Legasat
11-20-2012, 11:13 AM
How long have you been waiting?

Since the day they went on the roster.

LBDamned
11-20-2012, 11:18 AM
How ON EARTH did you get one?! I've been to just about every shop out here in Colorado and when I ask for one they just laugh at me! :D

Anxiously waiting the range report!

keep an eye on GunBroker... .40 come up often, 9mm occasionally... Or hit up:

Brent Jenkins
JST Outfitters LLC
www.jstoutfittersllc.com

he had a great price on 9mm listed on GB (and might be able to get more)...

Great little gun.

Maplewood
11-20-2012, 3:22 PM
M & P Shield? Never heard of it, sounds made up to me

pdq_wizzard
11-20-2012, 3:29 PM

I know you can disable the mag disconnect but can you disable the LCI ?

LBDamned
11-20-2012, 3:35 PM
I know you can disable the mag disconnect but can you disable the LCI ?

it's built into the top of the slide - if removed, it would have a gap... I'm not sure if there's a way to disable it and still have it in the slide (just not popping up)...

Easier to just get the non-neutered version.

As for disabling mag disconnect... I haven't seen the CA version - I presume it's the same as the full size, but a lot less room and much smaller parts... probably a bit of a pita (if you hate tedious trifling crap like I do)

pdq_wizzard
11-20-2012, 4:15 PM
it's built into the top of the slide - if removed, it would have a gap... I'm not sure if there's a way to disable it and still have it in the slide (just not popping up)...

Easier to just get the non-neutered version.

As for disabling mag disconnect... I haven't seen the CA version - I presume it's the same as the full size, but a lot less room and much smaller parts... probably a bit of a pita (if you hate tedious trifling crap like I do)

all true, I will look to get one SSE :D

now 40 or 9mm is the question :TFH:

LBDamned
11-20-2012, 4:24 PM
all true, I will look to get one SSE :D

now 40 or 9mm is the question :TFH:

it's so small and so light, imo .40 would be too snappy... I have a UPSc in .40, love the gun but I wouldn't want the smaller shield in .40

I have one in 9mm, great gun - light recoil = quick follow-up shots and one extra round... but then again, how many thousands of posts regarding caliber choice are there :rolleyes:

If you are in a hurry, I think you'll find a .40 faster... if you wait and are diligent, you'll find a 9mm (at a decent price).

kf6tac
11-20-2012, 4:58 PM
Since the day they went on the roster.

Ah, you're referring to the rostered version. Gotcha now. I thought you were waiting on a non-roster one to ship in for SSE.

rdubya
11-20-2012, 6:20 PM
OP you stated it might take the place of your 340. I carry a 340 because of the size and of course the weight, whats the difference between the two?

ElDub1950
11-20-2012, 6:30 PM
S&W Finally is listing the .40 on their web site showing availability as "Spring 2013".

The 9mm still showing availability as Dec.

Dreaded Claymore
11-20-2012, 6:35 PM
The control thing near the back of the gun is the thumb safety, right? It seems like other M&Ps, including the ones pictured on the S&W web site, have a 1911-ish thumb safety that looks different.

Whatisthis?
11-20-2012, 6:53 PM
^^^^ I think most M&Ps can be had with safeties like you see on their website... but why would you want something like that on a gun that you are going to be carrying? You're adding at least .2" to the thickness and it'll probably be adding more. So they build it to where it won't add anything to thickness and won't snag when unholstering.

cwin
11-20-2012, 7:18 PM
Congrats!

LBDamned
11-20-2012, 7:42 PM
The control thing near the back of the gun is the thumb safety, right? It seems like other M&Ps, including the ones pictured on the S&W web site, have a 1911-ish thumb safety that looks different.

yes, it's a thumb safety - very low profile, nothing like the regular M&P - completely unobtrusive and actually quite stiff (so if you chose not to engage it, it's very unlikely to happen by mistake).

When carried, you don't feel it at all - it's so flush its not noticeable.

Dreaded Claymore
11-20-2012, 9:49 PM
yes, it's a thumb safety - very low profile, nothing like the regular M&P - completely unobtrusive and actually quite stiff (so if you chose not to engage it, it's very unlikely to happen by mistake).

When carried, you don't feel it at all - it's so flush its not noticeable.

From what I have seen in the M&P Pictures thread in the Handguns Gallery, newer full-size and compact M&Ps also have that style of thumb safety now. That's a very good thing in my opinion. My active imagination misled me, the manual safety has not changed.

Fatgunman
11-20-2012, 9:52 PM
That's one sweet gun

LBDamned
11-20-2012, 9:54 PM
From what I have seen in the M&P Pictures thread in the Handguns Gallery, newer full-size and compact M&Ps also have that style of thumb safety now. That's a very good thing in my opinion.

hmmm, I didn't realize they changed it on the full size... yes, that is a good thing.

I have the original and not real fond of the safety design (but I do prefer thumb safety in general, so I kept it on but shaved the right side). I must admit, I'm now jealous of the new version (I actually like the safety on the Shield and wish I had it on my .45).

*Edit: wait, are you sure?... I just went to S&W website and the full size with thumb safety are the same as before...

BajaJames83
11-20-2012, 9:55 PM
I need one of these...

DriftinG Z32
11-20-2012, 10:11 PM
OP you stated it might take the place of your 340. I carry a 340 because of the size and of course the weight, whats the difference between the two?

Overall, the Shield is slightly bigger and heavier (loaded) than the 340. But that was to be expected prior to purchase. Even though the Shield is slightly bigger overall, I feel it is compact enough to be carried all day and dissapear on me like the 340. Give me a solid week of carrying (IWB) the Shield and I'll report back to you with my honest thoughts.

Dreaded Claymore
11-20-2012, 11:26 PM
hmmm, I didn't realize they changed it on the full size... yes, that is a good thing.

I have the original and not real fond of the safety design (but I do prefer thumb safety in general, so I kept it on but shaved the right side). I must admit, I'm now jealous of the new version (I actually like the safety on the Shield and wish I had it on my .45).

*Edit: wait, are you sure?... I just went to S&W website and the full size with thumb safety are the same as before...

Having checked the pictures I thought I saw it in, it looks like I'm WRONG. My imagination was fooling me. They have NOT changed the safety design. Sorry about that, I'm not sure how I did that.

They probably should change it though. Get on it, Smith and Wesson!