PDA

View Full Version : Give Up Your Gun Today, get $100-$200 gift cards

Steyr_223
07-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Don't forget today is the day to turn in your stolen/unwanted guns in San Francisco no questions asked!

I wonder how many guns used in murders or other criminal acts will turned in?

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/28/BAGAOR8Q0B1.DTL

ivanimal
07-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Buy a gun for 50 on the streets and sell it for 100!:D

I dont own any 100 dollar guns. These things always make me want to set up a booth 1 block away saying sell me your legal guns for 100-200 dollars cash. Have an FFL ther with me to do transfers.:cool:

wilit
07-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Hmmm... I do have a C&R license... Maybe I'll make my self ready for the next turn in.

Mosin M44's for $54 (http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1067)

Or maybe pick up a boat load of these: Nagant Revolvers for $80 (http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian_1895_7.62_Nagant_Revolver.html)

Socal858
07-28-2007, 12:17 PM
im going to fill my truck wtih those rusted out GEW88 receivers in anticipation for the next one in socal!!!

tiki
07-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Maybe when someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night, you can give them that $100 gift certificate to leave so that they don't kill you, rape your wife or take your jewelry and other stuff.

Why aren't there any $100 buybacks of those evil pistol grips?

thedrickel
07-28-2007, 12:24 PM
I just came back, turned in my rusted out Type 53 for a hundred $ Visa gift card (50$ profit). Cops seemed to like it. Luger on the table almost made me cry tho. :(

Talked to the NBC11 lady for a couple minutes, keep an eye out for me on the evening news.

wilit
07-28-2007, 12:28 PM
I just came back, turned in my rusted out Type 53 for a hundred $ Visa gift card (50$ profit). Cops seemed to like it. Luger on the table almost made me cry tho. :(

Talked to the NBC11 lady for a couple minutes, keep an eye out for me on the evening news.

Oh man, it's a Visa gift card? Oh, I'm so doing this next time to fund my 1919A4 project. :43:

code33
07-28-2007, 12:46 PM
What did you say to the media?

thedrickel
07-28-2007, 1:46 PM
Her main questions were:

What do you think of these events?
What did you bring and why?
What do you think of the SF laws that were passed last week?

I didn't say anything too inflammatory, mainly bashed the SF supes for wiping their *** with the constitution. She seemed like a nice lady, was somewhat interested in guns & shooting.

M. Sage
07-28-2007, 1:53 PM
Hmmm... I do have a C&R license... Maybe I'll make my self ready for the next turn in.

Mosin M44's for $54 (http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1067)

Or maybe pick up a boat load of these: Nagant Revolvers for $80 (http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian_1895_7.62_Nagant_Revolver.html)

Dude, no. They destroy these guns.

maxicon
07-28-2007, 3:22 PM
I passed this on to a buddy of mine after reading the other thread, and he went up there and scored bigtime!

He took a 16 gauge Ward's single shot barn-gun beater (same as a Stevens 94b) - value $40, an Iver Johnson top-break .38 S&W revolver - value $80, a Star Model A .22 semi-auto that's never worked well - value ? but a worthless gun, and a cheap trashed .22 revolver (RG, Rohm, one of those) - value $30. Total value of all the guns, maybe $200-250, if you could sell them - they wouldn't move well on this board, I can guarantee.

They gave him 4 $100 Visa cards and 3 $50 grocery store cards, plus one of the envelopes had 2 $100 cards in it, for a grand total of $650. Not a bad day's work - enough to buy a decent gun with!

The sad thing is that I turned down a chance to buy a couple of $25 Ravens a while back - even with the DROS, I'd have made a tidy profit on them.

He said there were about 20 cops and BAGs (Brothers Against Guns), and they thanked him profusely for giving up all this junk. No questions, no paperwork, no functionality testing, just assembling the shotgun (a take-down model), checking if the handguns were loaded, and zip-tying the actions. He got back the gunsock he'd borrowed from me for the shotty and his locks.

They said they had picked up about 75 guns. He hung out for a bit, and didn't see anyone else turn anything in.

If this is tax dollars at work, it's quite a waste. If it's anti-gun dollars at work, more power to them!

hoozaru
07-28-2007, 3:30 PM
BAGs (Brothers Against Guns),

WTF is that? friend of *AGs?

tiki
07-28-2007, 3:43 PM
Are you sure it wasn't Fathers Against Guns? ;)

So, 75 guns in a city of how many? I wish I had time to go down there. I would have taken a video camera and filmed the crowd all day to see how many gangbangers showed up.

I think next year I'll get a bunch of those real looking toy guns off of Ebay for $20 or $30 each and take them down there and sell them.

Fate
07-28-2007, 3:56 PM
Even taking in a worthless POS gun and PARTICIPATING in that dog and pony show is a bad thing. I wouldn't do it regardless of the bait.

383green
07-28-2007, 5:36 PM
Even taking in a worthless POS gun and PARTICIPATING in that dog and pony show is a bad thing. I wouldn't do it regardless of the bait.

I dunno... a few crates of crappy Nagant revolvers, which retail for $50, shoot $30 a box ammo, and have much worse double-action triggers than most cap guns, turned in for $100+ apiece which can then be re-invested in much better guns, sounds like a good way to let the antis buy us better guns! Imagine how much it'd cheese them if we used the proceeds to buy more EBRs (Evil Black Rifles)!

:44:

leelaw
07-28-2007, 5:53 PM
Luger on the table almost made me cry tho.

:( :mad:

rg_1111@yahoo.com
07-28-2007, 6:31 PM
Dang they just pasted a law today no more gun sales on state property in SF.
The Police broke the Law.

maxicon
07-28-2007, 6:32 PM
We all know these turn-in programs are completely ineffective, and their propaganda value isn't changed by +/- 4 guns. The chance to legally take the antis for a few bucks and get rid of a few worthless guns is a fine opportunity, IMO. 75 guns in a city of 750k with 2x the national murder rate? Meaningless noise in the statistics.

The only other option for some of these guns is to pound them with a hammer and throw them in the trash. What do you do with a $50 junk gun in this state? Nobody cares about buying it with the cost of DROS and 2 trips to the FFL.

It would be interesting to see the stats on what kind of guns get turned in, particularly how they'd correlate with the kinds of guns the antis are always trying to ban.

wilit
07-28-2007, 6:38 PM
Dude, no. They destroy these guns.

If Centerfire can sell Mosins for $50 and still make a profit, that should tell you what the value of those rifles are.

DRM6000
07-28-2007, 7:08 PM
If Centerfire can sell Mosins for $50 and still make a profit, that should tell you what the value of those rifles are.

i think he was thinking about the intrinsent (right adjective?) value.

dfletcher
07-28-2007, 8:17 PM
I stopped by on the way to the range today - DSA FAL & M1A with 30 rd mags, little do they know - and chatted with an SFPD aquaintance working the event. I don't know about the others there, but he acknowledges it as a waste & PR moment. And they're aware some folks are doing the "turn in my crap for $$$" thing. They don't care.

I heard someone say turning in one of the guns today could prevent a problem tomorrow. Nice theory not borne out by facts, and you can just as well say that having 20 cops standing around at this event instead of in the field - where they could stop a gun theft, a drug deal or DUI & save a life - is actually harmful.

One little tidbit - the timing of the event. It's set at the end of the month because the folks who depend on some sort of check from "Uncle Sam" are low on funds and more motivated to respond.

My contribution? After the range I went to Contra Costa Collectibles & bought a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine. For $325.00 how can you go wrong?

Steyr_223
07-29-2007, 12:56 PM
"Talked to the NBC11 lady for a couple minutes, keep an eye out for me on the evening news."

Did they broadcast your interview?

thedrickel
07-29-2007, 4:35 PM
No idea. I don't think it would've made it on the evening news, maybe at 11pm? I was out, missed it. Can't find anything about it on their website.

rhunter
07-29-2007, 9:19 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/07/29/ba_wb_giftsforguns_0022.jpg

looks like two bolt actions and 2 pot metal pistols.

:sleeping:

oaklander
07-29-2007, 9:41 PM
LOL - if only they knew that people were turning in guns . . . to get money to buy more guns!!!

:D

Steyr_223
07-30-2007, 11:12 AM
They should give more warning on the next buy back program, i know some folks with Mosins and Mausers with rusted out bores..They can turn in their rifles and get "new" ones at Big 5..

CALI-gula
07-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Dang. I wish they would do that down in the Southern California area. I have an old scratched-up chrome Davis Derringer .22LR with missing grips, which looks like it had been living under a car seat for 10 years. It was transferred to me at no cost to myself years ago, as a joke by the seller, because the gun I was buying was an exceptionally rare and fine item. He MADE me take it as a memento - a token of his appreciation - and weird sense of humor.

I save it, and point to it as the worst possible thing in my collection, or maybe anyone's collection. If it was worth more than $5.00, I would doubt the appraiser's credibility and thusly have him hanged until dead. But really, I sort of keep it as a charm to draw away all the bad spirits, bugs, gremlins, rust demons, and other pitfalls that could do harm to the guns in my collection. It doesn't ward off evil - it absorbs it.

But for this, I would let it go. I would take that gift card, sell it for cash on Craigslist, then go buy 1 or 2 Off-List receivers.

turinreza
07-30-2007, 12:01 PM
it would be funny if they found out all the visa gift cards where
used to buy guns or ammo and the grocery gift cards where used
to buy alcohol...

heh.

they got guns off the streets!.. er. i mean closets...

RudyN
07-30-2007, 12:29 PM
I should have taken in my H&R .22cal frame and cylinder that is sitting in a drawer out in the garage. Only thing it is good for is keeping some papers from blowing around. Have had it for over 30 years. Use the gift card for buying ammunition for my OLL AR

oaklander
07-30-2007, 1:09 PM
Using the cards to buy more guns, would actually be a great news story - if anyone is interested in leaking it to the press. (I'm not).

It just illustrates how stupid the idea is.

thedrickel
07-30-2007, 5:41 PM
I haven't been able to corroborate this, but my brother's coworker says he caught a glimpse of me on the NBC11 late news on Saturday. Anybody else catch it? I'm more interested in how they portrayed the event than seeing myself on TV (again). Still can't find anything on their website.

turinreza
08-15-2007, 4:12 AM
Using the cards to buy more guns, would actually be a great news story - if anyone is interested in leaking it to the press. (I'm not).

This could actually the first perpetual motion machine..
but a new gun for $100 with the gift card..
exchange it next year for another $100 and a get a new $100 gun..

repeat...

perpetual motion of stupidity..

ARRRR-15
08-15-2007, 8:40 AM

Make sure to go buy 2 more guns with it. :43: I hope they can find out how the money gets spent. That would be a kick in the face. :D

dfletcher
08-15-2007, 8:43 AM
Make sure to go buy 2 more guns with it. :43: I hope they can find out how the money gets spent. That would be a kick in the face. :D

I'd imagine much of it is being spent on 6th & Mission or the 300 block of Turk. Wouldn't it be a riot of one of the cops at the buy back busted someone doing a deal using the $$$ from the buyback.

NRAhighpowershooter
08-15-2007, 8:52 AM
HHHmmm.. I'm going to stock up on some cheap M44's and make some $$$$ on the next buy back!!!... only problem is.. ATF might take a dim view using my C&R to do this.... what say you legal eagles and C&R holders?? :D

gn3hz3ku1*
08-15-2007, 9:02 AM
how will ATF know? afterall your not selling them your giving them away :)

DRM6000
08-15-2007, 12:01 PM
how will ATF know? afterall your not selling them your giving them away :)

you still have to log them into your boundbook.

emc002
08-15-2007, 12:08 PM
Damn I missed that! I could've got rid of my 1893 Iver Johnson Suicide Special!

Don't forget today is the day to turn in your stolen/unwanted guns in San Francisco no questions asked!

I wonder how many guns used in murders or other criminal acts will turned in?

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/28/BAGAOR8Q0B1.DTL

50 Freak
08-15-2007, 1:37 PM
What time is this over??? I have a few non-functional pistols that are not even good for parts I'd like to "trade in" for a some Visa gift cards.

Man, if they gave out ammo for guns, they'd get more guns in.

wilit
08-15-2007, 6:06 PM

Actually, my GF (editor for ANG) suggested I do it to feed my addiction. She loved the irony of it all.

dustoff31
08-15-2007, 6:24 PM
HHHmmm.. I'm going to stock up on some cheap M44's and make some $$$$ on the next buy back!!!... only problem is.. ATF might take a dim view using my C&R to do this.... what say you legal eagles and C&R holders?? :D

You're just selling some items in order to enhance your personal collection. That is, buy more/other C & Rs.

Now this could be a hoot, put the gun grabbers name and address in the disposition section of your bound book. Wouldn't they crap themselves if the ATF came to see them and said, Hey, you received these guns on this date. Where are they?

icormba
08-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Now this could be a hoot, put the gun grabbers name and address in the disposition section of your bound book. Wouldn't they crap themselves if the ATF came to see them and said, Hey, you received these guns on this date. Where are they?

I was thinking the same thing. :D