PDA

View Full Version : The NRA and Elmo

jdberger
07-28-2007, 11:26 AM
The Gun Guys are at it again. In mock outrage, they are insisting that Sesame Street has partnered up with the NRA. They've gone as far as mocking up an Elmo doll with a Beretta 92.

As we noted earlier this week, CeaseFire NJ has brought attention to the National Rifle Association’s fundraising strategy that is offering discounted tickets to Sesame Place and other kid-friendly theme parks - in return for donations to the NRA’s political arm, the Institute for Legislative Action (ILA).

Well, CeaseFire NJ is not letting up with their campaign, “Put the gun down, Elmo!” — which is sure to cause some headaches. The group is calling on Americans to send a letter to Sesame Workshop CEO Gary Knell.

You gotta click on this link just to see the great graphic of Elmo holding a gun. (http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/1483/t/197/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=1939&t=)

PR nightmare for Sesame Place? I’d say so. For a children’s educational company to partner with the NRA is simply perverse.

Stayed tuned for more updates.

http://www.handgunsanity.org/files/Drop-the-Gun-Elmo-1.jpg

Anyway, the link above takes you to a form letter for the COE of Sesame Street.

Gary E. Knell
President and CEO
Sesame Workshop
One Lincoln Plaza
New York, NY 10013

Reference: Sesame Workshop/Anheuser-Busch/NRA-ILA Unholy Alliance

Dear Mr. Knell:

I was shocked to learn that an organization to which I have trusted my children's education for so many years and which states that is devoted to children's education and safety has entered into a financial partnership with Anheuser-Busch, which has resulted in funding the National Rifle Association's virulent and extremist Institute for Legislative Action.

As you must know, NRA-ILA has long led the effort to protect gun industry profits by fighting any meaningful measure to reduce gun violence, the very scourge that kills and wounds so many of our young citizens. I deplore the NRA-ILA's radical and menacing agenda and, so, deplore Sesame Workshop's connection to it.

Mr. Knell, it doesn't take a genius to know that kids, guns and beer are a horrible mix. I, therefore, demand that Sesame Workshop end its relationship with NRA-ILA and its funder Anheuser-Busch immediately.

Sincerely

I changed it and sent this instead.

Gary E. Knell
President and CEO
Sesame Workshop
One Lincoln Plaza
New York, NY 10013

Reference: Sesame Workshop/Anheuser-Busch/NRA-ILA Co-operation

Dear Mr. Knell:

I was pleasantly suprised to learn that an organization to which I have trusted my children's education for so many years and which states that is devoted to children's education and safety has entered into a financial partnership with Anheuser-Busch, which has resulted in funding the National Rifle Association's well respected Institute for Legislative Action.

As you must know, NRA-ILA has long led the effort to protect individual Second Amendment rights, and by extension, our freedom. I sdmire and support the NRA-ILA's agenda and, so, applaud Sesame Workshop's connection to it.

Mr. Knell, it doesn't take a genius to know that people opposed to our unique American freedoms would threaten you. Thank you for supporting the NRA.

Sincerely,

Please do the same.

Nothing like using the enemy's resources against them. :D

Fjold
07-28-2007, 11:37 AM
It's a good idea.

I would recommend that you run your letter through a spelling and grammar checker to correct the spelling and punctuation errors.

Kestryll
07-28-2007, 1:08 PM
First I would find out who the letter shows as coming from
After one or two of these I'm sure they stop reading them and just count how many letters come in from that source.
You may just be padding the anti's total.

Get the email address, write up a letter and post both so people can simply cut, paste and send. Then it's coming from many different email addresses and they are far more likely to read them and count them for what they are.

Osprey
07-28-2007, 2:21 PM
That was my concern too, so I changed the subject to "Thank you for supporting the NRA-ILA!" or something to that effect.

crunchy2k
07-28-2007, 2:48 PM
First I would find out who the letter shows as coming from
After one or two of these I'm sure they stop reading them and just count how many letters come in from that source.
You may just be padding the anti's total.

Get the email address, write up a letter and post both so people can simply cut, paste and send. Then it's coming from many different email addresses and they are far more likely to read them and count them for what they are.

The emails come from here...you get a free 15 day test drive. http://www.wiredforchange.com/services/testdrive.php

I bet some soccer mom thought she was being real smart using that site instead of creating her own email server. LOL

I went ahead and sent my letter from all my throwaway accounts. Here's a list of email addys at Seame Workshop. http://www.sesameworkshop.org/aboutus/inside_management.php

Gary E. Knell
President and CEO
Sesame Workshop
One Lincoln Plaza
New York, NY 10013

Reference: Sesame Workshop/Anheuser-Busch/NRA-ILA fantastic promotional Alliance

Dear Mr. Knell:

I was amazed to learn that an extremist organization to which I wouldn't trust my dog's education and which states that it is devoted to children's education and safety has entered into a financial partnership with the Brady anti-self protection group, which has resulted in attacking the National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action, Anheuser-Busch, and Sesame Workshop.

As you must know, NRA-ILA has long led the effort to protect hunting, the shooting sports and self defense by fighting any irrational anti-firearm measures, the very scourge that keeps food off the table, kills and wounds so many of our citizens. The NRA has a child's gun safety program called 'Eddy Eagle.' How many of the Brady bunch created verbally violent extremist groups have a firearm safety program? Zero! I support the NRA-ILA's sense-able and directed agenda.

Mr. Knell, Sesame Workshop/Anheuser-Busch/NRA-ILA advertising alliance makes sense to me. All three promote child safety.

Sincerely,

jdberger
07-31-2007, 6:47 PM
Posted today on the Gun Guys (http://www.gunguys.com/?p=2360)!!! Yes, they really DO read our forum!!

Elmo’s In Bed With the NRA! (http://www.gunguys.com/?p=2360)

Gun Guys.com received this email that apparently some pro-gun forum posted and started circulating regarding the “Put the Gun Down Elmo!” campaign.

(If you’re just joining the conversation you can check out our first post “Sesame Place’s PR Nightmare” and our update “Send a Message to Sesame Workshop CEO” which prompted the gun guys retort below).

Apparently, in some gun “chat rooms” here is a letter to Gary E. Knell, President and CEO of Sesame Workshop being sent around:

Gary E. Knell
President and CEO
Sesame Workshop
One Lincoln Plaza
New York, NY 10013

Reference: Sesame Workshop/Anheuser-Busch/NRA-ILA Alliance

Dear Mr. Knell:

I was happy to learn that an organization to which we have trusted our children’s education for so many years and which states that is devoted to children’s education and safety has entered into a financial partnership with Anheuser-Busch. Thank you for funding the National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action.

As you must know, NRA-ILA has long led the effort to protect our second amendment rights fighting any unreasonable measure to restrict gun ownership. The NRA supports the right that our constitution extends to many of our citizens. I support the NRA-ILA’s agenda and, so, support Sesame Workshop’s connection to it.

Mr. Knell, it doesn’t take a genius to know that the press, and extremists are a horrible mix. I, therefore, I recommend that Sesame Workshop continue its relationship with NRA-ILA and its funder Anheuser-Busch indefinately. [sic]

Sincerely,

Guns, beer, and children’s educational programming?

Hmmm, sounds like Gary Knell has a bit of a “branding problem” if you ask us.

Guard your reputation with your life. It would be a shame to lose so much by supporting the NRA. Gary Knell should be asking himself: Is supporting the NRA really worth it?

If you want to let Gary Knell know how you feel about Sesame Place’s relationship with the NRA, here is the link.

Hello Mr. Schexnayder and Mr. Karlin! Nice to have you with us. Have you noticed, that despite your protestations to the contrary, we're not all white, middle aged and fat. We don't all live boring lives, and yes, some of us have even really been in combat.

Cherry-pick all you want, Sugar. Parker is on it's way to SCOTUS and when it is done, the Joyce Foundation is gonna roll up your funding and you'll have to get outraged about something else (may I suggest late library book returns - I hate that!).

Of course - It might not be you folks at Karlin & Associates....Alison? Is that you?

gazzavc
07-31-2007, 7:27 PM
Hey can we write to Anheuser-Busch and come up with a new campaign slogan........."Hey Elmo bring me another cold one"

Works for me.....

CCWFacts
07-31-2007, 7:50 PM
My letter:
Gary E. Knell
President and CEO, Sesame Workshop
One Lincoln Plaza
New York, NY 10013

Re: Marketing partnership with the NRA: Yes!

Dear Sir:

I saw a news report that Sesame Street has a marketing partnership with the NRA. I want to make sure that you hear from all sides of this issue. As someone who grew up watching Sesame Street, and is now a member of the NRA, I think that's cool! In a perfect world there would be no violence and no one would ever need to worry about self-defense. The real world will never be perfect. Adults are responsible for defending themselves and their families. Children need to grow up into adults and take on adult responsibilities, including self-defense. Children also need to know what to do if they ever find a gun, and the NRA has a good program for that, with a simple child-friendly message: don't touch, get out of the area, tell an adult. All in all, the NRA's youth programs are as important for child development as sex education, driver education, and health education. Those are all topics that children will need to be able to handle when they are adults and the time to start learning about them is when they are children.

Sincerely,

triggerhappy
07-31-2007, 8:01 PM
The Gun Guys are at it again. In mock outrage, they are insisting that Sesame Street has partnered up with the NRA. They've gone as far as mocking up an Elmo doll with a Beretta 92.

http://www.handgunsanity.org/files/Drop-the-Gun-Elmo-1.jpg

Anyway, the link above takes you to a form letter for the COE of Sesame Street.

I changed it and sent this instead.

Please do the same.

Nothing like using the enemy's resources against them. :D

LOL! THis is great!