View Full Version : Never mind.

11-19-2012, 2:37 PM
Had a question about factory replacement of handgun that I thought was off list. I was wrong!

I'm good to go now.

11-19-2012, 2:55 PM
Ooh. This is not good.

You may even get the wrong answer from DOJ. It appears sometimes DOJ staff will give a wrong answer
because they like to sometimes give 'happy' answers when ridiculous situations come into play - perhaps
for a bit of political mitigation.

Problem is, replacement of the gun or frame makes it 'new gun' that requires DROS/4473 fees - and, of
course, being Rostered.

There is a handwaving chance that the DOJ could somehow regard the frame as a replacement part getting
returned and do some sort of override on re-DROS but I really doubt it. If they did that for this sitaution
there are many other situations they'd have to do it for as well....

It is highly unlikely [though theoretically possible] that the replacement would be a Rostered handgun. So you
could be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

1. see if you can get the gun fixed using orig frame; OR

2. see if you can get the gun fixed with a *replacement* identical frame that has identical serial# - mfgr
will have to update his mfg books and destroy old frame first. Mfgr. should not add any prefix or suffix to
serial# or model - should be identical make/model/serial# and he has to adjust his Fed books properly;
any "remanufactured" markings should be separate marks independent of the above items.

3. otherwise you have to make arrangements with a CA FFL that will handle single-shot-exempt pistol transfers.
This may cost some $$ given cost for necessary long barrel...