PDA

View Full Version : Conversions and off roster pistols

thatsteveguy
11-19-2012, 2:01 PM
This is likely silly thinking but I was wondering if a person decided to buy an off roster pistol AND a rimfire conversion unit at the same time from an out of state seller, could he ask the seller to mount the rimfire conversion to the frame and send that to your FFL and mail the centerfire upper to you seperately? Could you then DROS the pistol as a rostered .22 cal pistol using the rimfire upper (for example a kimber rimfire upper on a Norinco frame) as the make and caliber since Kimber does make a rimfire 1911 pistol? :rolleyes:

NytWolf
11-19-2012, 2:08 PM
The frame is usually what's considered the serialized part.

Wiz-of-Awd
11-19-2012, 2:18 PM
Very interesting question actually.

A firearm may certainly have started life as one thing, but "things" change, and sometimes - so do calibers and such.

A.W.D.

This is likely silly thinking but I was wondering if a person decided to buy an off roster pistol AND a rimfire conversion unit at the same time from an out of state seller, could he ask the seller to mount the rimfire conversion to the frame and send that to your FFL and mail the centerfire upper to you seperately? Could you then DROS the pistol as a rostered .22 cal pistol using the rimfire upper (for example a kimber rimfire upper on a Norinco frame) as the make and caliber since Kimber does make a rimfire 1911 pistol? :rolleyes:

The frame is usually what's considered the serialized part.

bwiese
11-19-2012, 3:03 PM
Rimfire status does not garner any Roster exemption unless the rimfire version was
specifically Rostered, and the non-rimfire version was not.
The conjugal rimfire version would have to be IDENTICAL in parts and material and
*markings* to be indistinguishable from the actual official Rostered rimfire variant.

I'd bet this situation is probably unlikely; if this were true we'd perhaps have more
exploitable holes in the Roster. Lawd knows there's already enough problems with
name changes and SKU renumberings that have caused Roster mishaps.

Remember also:
- rimfire status only triggers AW exemption for off-list rifles;
- rimfire status DOES NOT trigger AW exemption for pistols.

thatsteveguy
11-19-2012, 7:22 PM
Thanks all for the replies, I'm now of the opinion that this idea is basically borrowing trouble. I'll go with SSE in the future if I can't find what I want through a PPT. ;)