PDA

View Full Version : Powder burns on .45 casing

inky0ct0pus
11-19-2012, 1:44 PM
Shooting a Glock 21 today I noticed that on every casing, there were significant powder burns on one side. The burns go down to a little over half-way.
I shot three different brands.
Federal 230gr fmj - all casings were burned
Winchester 230gr fmj - all casings were burned
Federal Hydro-shok 165 gr hollow point - less burned, but still some visible.

The gun functioned 100%.
Is this something to be worried about?
Here's a picture of one of the federal casings. They all pretty much looked like this.
http://s11.postimage.org/f3nym98cf/photo.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/f3nym98cf/)

Thanks

shooting4life
11-19-2012, 1:48 PM
Nothing to worry about. It happens when the cartridge doesn't seal very well with the chamber. This in part do to a low pressure cartridge and a large chamber (which is intentional to help with reliability).

inky0ct0pus
11-19-2012, 2:11 PM
Thank you for the help! I wouldn't have even noticed, but a gentleman at the range picking up brass for reloads said he hadn't seen it before.

Oceanbob
11-19-2012, 2:54 PM
Glock chambers are about .008 oversize so they will feed garbage ammo you find on a dead United Nations Trespasser* who thinks the world-wide-gun-ban applys to the citizens of the United States. :D

Your ammo looks normal. Have fun. The Glock 21 is a fantastic weapon.

*Yes I know he will probably have 9MM on him ;)

OH...and Welcome to Cal Guns....! Plenty of nice people here.

Dibs on the Blue Helmet......

Gary13
11-19-2012, 3:13 PM
I get this with my Glock 21 Gen 4.

ZEALOT
11-20-2012, 1:39 AM
Glock chambers are about .008 oversize so they will feed garbage ammo you find on a dead United Nations Trespasser* who thinks the world-wide-gun-ban applys to the citizens of the United States. :D

Your ammo looks normal. Have fun. The Glock 21 is a fantastic weapon.

*Yes I know he will probably have 9MM on him ;)

OH...and Welcome to Cal Guns....! Plenty of nice people here.

Dibs on the Blue Helmet......

wow interesting i never heard about this

source?

Oceanbob
11-20-2012, 5:17 AM
wow interesting i never heard about this

source?

Well, to be honest nothing concrete has surfaced BUT (putting on my Tin Foil Hat) the UN GLOBAL GUN BAN TREATY was on the table. :TFH:

Google UN Gun BAN. etc.

And yes, UN troops wear blue helmets...;) and carry 9MM HK P2000s....

Time for coffee

Horton Fenty
11-20-2012, 5:53 AM
Thank you for the help! I wouldn't have even noticed, but a gentleman at the range picking up brass for reloads said he hadn't seen it before. Talking to the shop I purchased it, they suggested I try different ammo.

Weird. I think I'd be more shocked to see a perfectly clean piece of brass. Yours looks totally normal.

Hurstolds
11-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Good to know