PDA

View Full Version : A view from the otherside (NRA Questioners, please read)

hoffmang
07-28-2007, 6:54 AM
All,

Here is Rep McCarthy having to offer the same defense of the NICS improvement bill to the other side.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-carolyn-mccarthy/a-response-to-josh-sugarm_b_58113.html

Read the whole thing, but here is a very telling two paragraphs:

The author must also consider the political realities of Washington. Despite the efforts of Mr. Sugarmann and many others, the National Rifle Association still wields tremendous influence in the halls of Congress and their blessing is required for any bill that enforces or creates gun laws. This bill is the only vehicle that could have passed the House and ensured that hundreds of thousands of convicted felons, spousal abusers, and mentally ill individuals would be unable to purchase a gun legally. Will a few existing disqualified individuals slip through the cracks? Unfortunately, yes, but once this measure becomes law, fewer and fewer new offenders will be able to buy guns because of a NICS loophole.

In listing the three anti-gun violence organizations that have reservations about my bill, Mr. Sugarmann inadvertently addresses why the NRA has such power while the efforts of organizations working to prevent gun violence have been futile for close to a decade. The NRA is consolidated into a single cohesive unit, but the groups working for common sense gun laws are many and each possess their own agenda and points of view. Only when these groups join forces for common legislative goals will we be able to prevail not only in the halls of Congress, but in state legislatures and city halls across the country as well.

Do you notice that the reason they don't think the anti's are effective is because they're splintered? I'm not saying you need to agree with NRA, but I am saying that you need to understand how important being united is when faced with challenges from the other side. Better to publicly support NRA and privately work within NRA to challenge things you don't like.

-Gene

chris
07-28-2007, 7:52 AM
very good aritcle gene. as i have said many times here we need to work together or we are screwed. it will take alot if time and alot of telling lots of california gun owners to work together. only when we do that will we win over the legislature here. we a fairly united here but we can do better there are lots of members here we need to mobolize the ones that are not frequent posters to call and e-mail the legislature when needed. when we do that we will be unstoppable.

we can do it.

aileron
07-28-2007, 10:07 AM
I also think its just an excuse and misses the bigger point.

The NRA is not an evil empire, the NRA IS, the will of the people through a group that are saying, "we don't want our guns taken away because of those people that somehow think guns are evil."

Or maybe its just.

"We will not go quietly into the night." ;)

Every gun owner should be a member of the NRA, even when they lose, you shouldn't quit because of it, fight back harder.

tankerman
07-28-2007, 11:42 AM
It's impossible to be united without a legitimate stance. Too many folks wanting to have their version of the lie propagated.

hoffmang
07-28-2007, 4:35 PM
It does help us that there is no real grassroots support for the anti-gun stance.

I expect as the boomers age, that will only continue as a trend. Younger generations are either pro-gun or don't care.

-Gene

carsonwales
07-28-2007, 6:20 PM
All,

Here is Rep McCarthy having to offer the same defense of the NICS improvement bill to the other side.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-carolyn-mccarthy/a-response-to-josh-sugarm_b_58113.html

Read the whole thing, but here is a very telling two paragraphs:

Do you notice that the reason they don't think the anti's are effective is because they're splintered? I'm not saying you need to agree with NRA, but I am saying that you need to understand how important being united is when faced with challenges from the other side. Better to publicly support NRA and privately work within NRA to challenge things you don't like.

-Gene

Well the NRA just pissed a poker chip down the crapper...thats how I see it.

Their endorsement should have come at a price....LESS REGULATION on ownership/aquisition/use/CCW for Americans who are not part of the aforementioned unsavory lot....

CCWFacts
07-28-2007, 7:16 PM
I'm not saying you need to agree with NRA, but I am saying that you need to understand how important being united is when faced with challenges from the other side. Better to publicly support NRA and privately work within NRA to challenge things you don't like.

Good post there. I don't agree with the NRA on many things. Many many things. And I'm a member and will continue to be a member, for as long as gun rights are threatened in the US (ie, forever).

hoffmang
07-28-2007, 7:33 PM
Well the NRA just pissed a poker chip down the crapper...thats how I see it.

Their endorsement should have come at a price....LESS REGULATION on ownership/aquisition/use/CCW for Americans who are not part of the aforementioned unsavory lot....

I'm glad you're not one of the Vets on the NICS no purchase list with no way to get off then. I'm also glad you've never or will never get on the NICS denial list because without this bill there is no way to get off.

Other than those things the NRA got nothing... :rolleyes:

-Gene

CalNRA
07-28-2007, 11:23 PM
It does help us that there is no real grassroots support for the anti-gun stance.

:confused:

I expect as the boomers age, that will only continue as a trend. Younger generations are either pro-gun or don't care.

-Gene

that's what scares me, when they don't care.

hoffmang
07-29-2007, 3:24 PM
CalNRA,

You ever heard of an anti-shoot-n-q? Brady and LCAV have a hard time getting real supporters to call. They have to resort to paying professional callers.

And don't care beats against most days.

-Gene

M. Sage
07-29-2007, 4:13 PM
You ever heard of an anti-shoot-n-q?

Hmm, they wouldn't call it that, though. Probably a "hug-n-graze." :p

Dont Tread on Me
07-29-2007, 8:33 PM
Very good post. The gun grabbers love to play divide and conquer and it has worked very well for them.

I have some concerns with the NRA but I choose to work on the inside to fix them. After all, the NRA really is what its members want it to be.

Some interesting intel. I joined the Brady campaign and guess how many activists they have in the Bay Area. 45 including me and I suspect a few other as calgunners:-) But, they are connected. The CA Brady chair works in the office of a SF supervisor....

PS: note that calnra is not affiliated with the NRA. I think that user should add a signature to that effect to prevent confusion.

oaklander
07-29-2007, 8:47 PM
Ca_brit - I keep trying to join Brady via email - but they never have gotten back to me - can you PM me the name of their recruiting person (and her contact info)?

I figure the more intel I/we can get about them - the better.

:D

Very good post. The gun grabbers love to play divide and conquer and it has worked very well for them.

I have some concerns with the NRA but I choose to work on the inside to fix them. After all, the NRA really is what its members want it to be.

Some interesting intel. I joined the Brady campaign and guess how many activists they have in the Bay Area. 45 including me and I suspect a few other as calgunners:-) But, they are connected. The CA Brady chair works in the office of a SF supervisor....

PS: note that calnra is not affiliated with the NRA. I think that user should add a signature to that effect to prevent confusion.