PDA

View Full Version : Entering CA with Firearms

mythfit
11-19-2012, 7:51 AM
I will be entering CA soon to visit my children and grand children. I plan to stay 10-14 days. I will be carrying ten firearms of various types and the ammo for them. I am an Arizona resident but RV full time so I do not have a location outside of CA to store my firearms. Three of my firearms are semi-auto rifles two of which I have installed CA compliant maglocks. The other, a highpoint 995, I could not figure out a way to easily install a maglock so I disassembled the rifle and store it in seperate locked containers. All firearms will be unloaded in locked hard plastic containers including one pellet rifle. All firearms will also be lock in my fifth wheel.

So my questions are these:

1. Can you find anything wrong with the above info for legally entering CA for a visit.

2. Since I will be carrying AZ tags I am assuming I may become a target of CA LE. If asked if I have any firearms do I declare them or just say "no, I would not carry any such evil device" :)

3. Do I have to consent to a search of my RV if asked? I know that even though it is my home, once hooked up to my truck, it becomes a vehicle in the state of CA.

Thanks all.

corcoraj2002
11-19-2012, 8:00 AM
Whilst attached to your truck you need to keep them locked up with no loaded magazines in the mag well or rounds in the chamber.

You are also restricted to 10 round mag capacity. Follow the flow chart in the centerfire rifle section and as long as your weapons pass that you are good to go.

mythfit
11-19-2012, 8:35 AM
All +10 magazine's have been disassembled and stored in "kit" form.

D Harry
11-19-2012, 8:37 AM
Only thing they will ask "do you have any produce. fruit, vegatables...." and if you do, they will want to look.
If asked about firearms, you say.. "no sir, I don't have anything like that."
RV is your home, you are allowed to have weapons in your home.
It's not THAT bad here...but 10 weapons in CA is an arsenal!
If you are hispanic or latin looking they will wave you on through......!

Psykoasn
11-19-2012, 9:45 AM
Only thing they will ask "do you have any produce. fruit, vegatables...." and if you do, they will want to look.
If asked about firearms, you say.. "no sir, I don't have anything like that."
RV is your home, you are allowed to have weapons in your home.
It's not THAT bad here...but 10 weapons in CA is an arsenal!
If you are hispanic or latin looking they will wave you on through......!

my understanding about RV's is when they are on the road moving, they are considered vehicles so the pistols have to unloaded in a locked container for transport, and when it's parked it is considered a home

CSACANNONEER
11-19-2012, 9:53 AM
Sounds like you have it covered if your semi auto rifles are not listed by name AWs. If you possessed +10 round mags in CA prior to 1-1-00, you can always bring them back to CA.

motorhead
11-20-2012, 12:54 AM
enjoy your stay. and remember the state motto, "come on vacation, leave on probation".

Chaos47
11-20-2012, 1:33 AM
Random things to think about:

Magazines can not be reassembled in state in 10+ config (don't think you plan to)

Semi Auto Centerfires must be 30 inches in length (measured from the shortest fire-able config) (Different then NFA limit of 26 inches and measures from longest config)

Check that firearms are not "Banned by name"

Make sure that pistols do not have threaded barrels

Make sure pistols do not have magazine wells outside pistol grip

It could be said that your highpoint is just a broken AW when dissembled. (an idea purposed by bwiese)
You could look into featureless builds (Put a grip wrap on it and have no other features, see the link in my sig)

Technically rifles do not need to be locked in hard cases in CA but its not a bad idea for many reasons.

Carnivore
11-20-2012, 3:49 AM
When asked to search always so no. Remember if they can search they won't ask you if they can.

If asked if you have firearms it is your choice to play the game or not. The game is "I have nothing illegal in the vehicle, no you may not search". Repeat to nausium if need be. When driving on the road your home is a vehicle and if you say yes I have weapons they can "E" check (to see if weapons are loaded) if you admit you have them. Once stopped your vehicle becomes a home. The game keeps you from lying but lying to the cops isn't illegal though so your call. If stopped by customs/border patrol they are feds, don't lie to them.

Travel through this country shouldn't be this complicated or encumbered PERIOD. Welcome to California.

Quiet
11-20-2012, 6:38 AM
my understanding about RV's is when they are on the road moving, they are considered vehicles so the pistols have to unloaded in a locked container for transport, and when it's parked it is considered a home

Parked and hooked up in a designated area, in order to be considered a residence.

It is still considered a vehicle if it is parked on the street or in a parking lot.

Vladimir
11-20-2012, 9:23 AM
You are now entering the demilitarized zone of the Peeples Roopooblik of Commeifornia!

Business IS NOT welcome!