PDA

View Full Version : Taft, Calif.Pistol Packing Pastor Nabs Theft Suspect

Steyr_223
07-27-2007, 3:01 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/07/27/national/a152515D79.DTL&tsp=1

bwiese
07-27-2007, 3:02 PM
Sheesh, and our very own Wes @ TenPercent Firearms could well have sold him the gun or ammo!

Rob P.
07-27-2007, 3:31 PM
Lets see, a pastor who is a former PD officer drives around to try to find a car thief and when he does he "tackles" him and handcuffs him.

WHY the mention of the gun?

Paratus et Vigilans
07-27-2007, 3:48 PM
I guess word got around that Wes was out of town, and lawlessness broke out in Taft! :eek:

When El Rojo's away, the bad guys will play???:)

Jicko
07-27-2007, 4:51 PM
he is just a normal joe now not law enforcment

According to the article, I don't even think he drew his weapon....

He did NOTHING wrong.... he didn't even use "deadly force".... he just "tackle" the guy and "detained" the guy with handcuffs....

CRTguns
07-27-2007, 8:13 PM
Looks like God's work....

Mugwump
07-27-2007, 8:47 PM
"i agree with what the pastor did i have to say he should have been arrested also" :rolleyes:

Are you serious?

LAK Supply
07-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Pastor should have been arrested my ***..... I've never been able to understand the sentiment that LE is there to hold our hands.

CRT is right... God's work. This guy deserves acclaim, not handcuffs.

dfletcher
07-27-2007, 10:59 PM
I remember when Dad's 1972 Vista Cruiser was stolen in our fairly small town of Plaistow, NH - he rounded up his duck hunting pals & tracked down the thieves in about 2 hours. They were sitting in the stolen car loaded & woke up to the site of about a half dozen New England bankers in suits wielding their side by side 12 gauges & Browning Auto 5s.

FreedomIsNotFree
07-27-2007, 11:46 PM
The pastor was completely within his rights to place the felony car thief under citizen's arrest.

It may be a surprise to some, but you can use a loaded firearm to affect such an arrest. Its in the Penal Code.

837. A private person may arrest another:
1. For a public offense committed or attempted in his presence.
2. When the person arrested has committed a felony, although not
in his presence.
3. When a felony has been in fact committed, and he has reasonable
cause for believing the person arrested to have committed it.

There is an exception in the penal code protecting folks that use a loaded firearm while making a lawful arrest...

CA Penal Code 12031 subsection (k) reads....

(k) Nothing in this section is intended to preclude the carrying
of a loaded firearm by any person while engaged in the act of making
or attempting to make a lawful arrest.

I'd commend the pastor if I ever met him.

CalNRA
07-28-2007, 12:23 AM
Lets see, a pastor who is a former PD officer drives around to try to find a car thief and when he does he "tackles" him and handcuffs him.

WHY the mention of the gun?

because it gives Latte-drinking SF social leeches a good story to talk about tomorrow in the Cafe.

Leech 1: hey, did you read about that guy from Taft with a gun?

Leech 2: yeah, where is Taft?

Leech 1: somewhere in the central valley, that's why he has guns.

Leech 2: aha. I'm so glad the City tried to ban handguns, they are nothing but trouble. He should let the police deal with the criminals. He could have shot other people carrying a gun around. Isn't carrying a gun in public illegal?

Leech 1: I agree. I hope the police will find out if what he did was illegal. Want to go to the pot club later?

Leech 2: sure. let me go to my Range Rover first, I need to get my Master Card.

I heard a similar conversation there once. So based loosely on actual events.