PDA

View Full Version : RAW change of address?

gunsandrockets
11-17-2012, 12:29 PM
No doubt this question has been raised before, but I couldn't find it with a quick search of the forum. My apologies for raising it again, but...

If a person has registered California "assault-weapons", is anything necessary if that person changes his California residence after the initial registration?

Just being careful. In this damnable state, it pays to be careful.

Sniper3142
11-17-2012, 12:49 PM
I believe a change of address notification is requested but not required by CA DOJ when a RAW owner moves.

Quiet
11-17-2012, 2:47 PM
If it's a RAW, then change of address is not required.

If it's a Dangerous Weapons Permit for an Assault Weapon, then change of address is mandatory. Along with registration of all the places the assault weapon will be stored and registration of all the vehicles that will transport the assault weapon.

HiveDR.
11-17-2012, 9:38 PM
I asked this question almost 20 years ago for what it's worth now(?) while attending an LEO conference. The DOJ rep. indicated it was tied to your CDL (?). So according to the rep. I spoke with when you change your CDL address it will ( in theory ) update the reg. information. For internal political reasons (in the early/mid 90s) my Dept. checked on those with RAWs from the 89 reg. and some showed old address some new address.

gunsandrockets
11-18-2012, 3:38 PM
Thanks to all of you for the tips!

Nick Justice
11-19-2012, 2:47 PM
There is no requirement to update your address. I don't think it's even mentioned in the penal code.

Nick Justice
11-19-2012, 2:56 PM
A quick check of the penal code shows no requirement to update RAW owner's address.

greybeard
11-19-2012, 2:59 PM
Well I left the state for 8 years after registering some, moved back registered some more with the new law, my new letter they sent me had the old ones and new ones. They know where you are.

Nick Justice
11-19-2012, 3:33 PM
A check of the case law related to the AWB show nothing about any requirement to update your address. As stated above, it looks like they already know where you are.