PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove flashhider from AR style rifle?

Calguns2000
07-27-2007, 11:21 AM
I have a 16" barreled stripped upper and I'd like to replace the flashhider with a thread protector. Any tips or tricks on removing these without using a barrel vise, I've got one that I can't seem to remove.

hossb7
07-27-2007, 11:24 AM
this may be a silly question, but your barrel is longer than 16" right?

C.G.
07-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Any tips or tricks on removing these without using a barrel vise, I've got one that I can't seem to remove.

Barrel vise is the best thing, because it may take a bit of muscle. I suppose if you were to wrap it in tape and rags and put it in a regular vise it may work; I wouldn't recommend it, however, as it may slip and mar the finish.

m1match
07-27-2007, 12:22 PM
If you have already clamped your barrel in a vise and you can't get the flash suppressor loose, yours may have been installed with red loctite. I just pulled mine off and I could not get it loose. I used a heat gun to heat up the flash suppressor, which softened the red loctite and it came loose. You couldn't tell it had been installed with loctite until you exposed the threads. Red loctite requires the application of heat to soften it up enough to loosen. I used a regular vise with a set of aluminum vise jaws so the barrel wouldn't get marred.

ar15barrels
07-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Get a piece of the thickest leather you can find.
Wrap this around the front sight base.
Clamp that in a regular vise.

ghost
07-27-2007, 12:45 PM
take the rifle,put the buttstock on the floor and straddle the rifle between your legs.take an open end wrench and go counter clockwise,it should comes off with no problems:D

Q
07-27-2007, 12:52 PM
take the rifle,put the buttstock on the floor and straddle the rifle between your legs.take an open end wrench and go counter clockwise,it should comes off with no problems:D

Don't forget to put some masking tape or something on it so you don't scratch the finish. :D

Technical Ted
07-27-2007, 1:12 PM
A technique that I've heard works well (recommended by Randal Rausch AKA AR15Barrels) is to wrao the front sight base in a piece of leather and clamp the FSB in a vise.

If Loctite has been used to hold the flash suppressor in place, you'll need to apply heat to soften it: either a good heat gun or judicious use of a propane torch.

Fjold
07-27-2007, 1:19 PM
Take the entire gun and wrap it in a towel and place it on a wooden chair. Then sit on it and unscrew the flash hider with a long wrench.

proraptor
07-27-2007, 1:40 PM
I just put the rifle between my legs, took a torch to the flashhider, and it came right off with an adjustable wrench

ar15barrels
07-27-2007, 2:31 PM
I just put the rifle between my legs, took a torch to the flashhider, and it came right off with an adjustable wrench

I hope you have a long barrel, or a nomex cup.

fairfaxjim
07-27-2007, 2:32 PM
I get the impression a lot of you guys are into do it yourself watch repair too.

PIRATE14
07-27-2007, 2:43 PM
My .02 is that there is too much use of LOCTITE these days.....a properly torqued FS w/ a crushwasher shouldn't move........

arfan66
07-27-2007, 3:14 PM
I used two short pieces of wood (2X4 cut in half) in a regular vice. I crushed the wood alot just get it where the barrel didn't spin and then used a large adjustable wrench. Didn't take too much effort to get the A2 flash hider off.

Good Luck!

ar15barrels
07-27-2007, 3:20 PM
My .02 is that there is too much use of LOCTITE these days.....

I have a picture of what that looks like.

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/too-much-loctite.jpg

Technical Ted
07-27-2007, 3:53 PM
My .02 is that there is too much use of LOCTITE these days.....a properly torqued FS w/ a crushwasher shouldn't move........
+1 to that. No loctite should be necessary.

The Army tech manual calls for 15-20 ft/lbs which is easily attainable with an open end or adjustable wrench and a new crush washer.

The AMU recommends "hand tight" to prevent stressing the rifling.

For my rifles with PRI QC brakes I often remove the muzzle brake for cleaning. I time them using a stack of PRI timing (?) washers that come in .01, .02, .03, .05 and .10 thicknesses (They come with the brakes).

To keep it from shooting loose until I want to remove it, I'll wrap a little teflon thread tape around the muzzle threads. No mess and no waiting for loctite to set up.

creampuff
07-27-2007, 4:14 PM
I used two short pieces of wood (2X4 cut in half) in a regular vice. I crushed the wood alot just get it where the barrel didn't spin and then used a large adjustable wrench. Didn't take too much effort to get the A2 flash hider off.

Good Luck!

Sometimes it helps to clamp the two pieces together, and drill a small hole with a spade bit right down the middle. Make sure the diameter you are drilling is significantly smaller than diameter of the barrel, or else the barrel will spin loose when you are applying torque.