PDA

View Full Version : Edited to Protect Privacy

KWalkerM
11-16-2012, 7:57 PM
Edited to Protect Privacy

NickTheGreek
11-16-2012, 9:12 PM
I marinate my ducks whole in milk for a day, then change out for red wine, sometimes with crushed garlic cloves, for another day.

I then coat in extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle on salt, cracked pepper, and some italian seasoning. The rest of the spices I usually wing it from bird to bird. Sometimes paprika, sometimes cayenne pepper, sometimes ground mustard seed.

I then put a tablespoon or two of the red wine marinade, the fattest parts of a couple strips of thick butcher's cut bacon, and some butter in the bottom of the pan. I then "snip" the the skin 10-15 times with kitchen shears (careful not to go into the meat itself) all around the bird, especially on the fattest parts of the duck to allow the fat to render out into the bottom of the pan.

Crank up the heat to 425-450ºF, and cook 13-17 minutes depending on the size of the bird. It should be rare in the middle with juices running red like blood. Serve with the drippings from the pan for dipping the meat in. Last time I put a couple thin (1/8 - 1/2" thick) lemon slices in the pan and it gave a bit of tangy flavor which was a nice change.

Always serve with red potatoes sliced into wedges, coated with garlic infused olive oil (or plain olive oil and some garlic powder) and covered with fresh grated parmesan cheese and a bit of salt. Cook for ~35 minutes at 375ºF or until soft and creamy texture inside, and crispy on the outside.

Fresh green beans (no canned ****!) with garlic and homemade bacon bits is always a nice side dish.

KWalkerM
11-17-2012, 12:57 AM
I marinate my ducks whole in milk for a day, then change out for red wine, sometimes with crushed garlic cloves, for another day.

I then coat in extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle on salt, cracked pepper, and some italian seasoning. The rest of the spices I usually wing it from bird to bird. Sometimes paprika, sometimes cayenne pepper, sometimes ground mustard seed.

I then put a tablespoon or two of the red wine marinade, the fattest parts of a couple strips of thick butcher's cut bacon, and some butter in the bottom of the pan. I then "snip" the the skin 10-15 times with kitchen shears (careful not to go into the meat itself) all around the bird, especially on the fattest parts of the duck to allow the fat to render out into the bottom of the pan.

Crank up the heat to 425-450ºF, and cook 13-17 minutes depending on the size of the bird. It should be rare in the middle with juices running red like blood. Serve with the drippings from the pan for dipping the meat in. Last time I put a couple thin (1/8 - 1/2" thick) lemon slices in the pan and it gave a bit of tangy flavor which was a nice change.

Always serve with red potatoes sliced into wedges, coated with garlic infused olive oil (or plain olive oil and some garlic powder) and covered with fresh grated parmesan cheese and a bit of salt. Cook for ~35 minutes at 375ºF or until soft and creamy texture inside, and crispy on the outside.

Fresh green beans (no canned ****!) with garlic and homemade bacon bits is always a nice side dish.

but the canned stuff is awesome! my boss back when i worked in a white table cloth restaurant did a similar marinade and squeezed 3 lemons and 4 oranges into my wild turkey breast for the rest of the staff with bacon and mashed buttermilk potatoes with bacon fat gravy

choprzrul
11-17-2012, 1:15 AM
Soak it and smoke it.

lewdogg21
11-17-2012, 6:55 AM
I'm a lazy white man who usually thinks about what to make for dinner about the time when I get hungry. :p What that means is really don't do prep (soaking, etc.).

I like to chop an onion, apple, maybe carrot and stuff the carcass, then pour some OJ concentrate inside the carcass, wrap in foil and before closing up the foil pour OJ concentrate over the breast. Place on BBQ, drink beer and wait till done.

I did some teal last weekend and just stuffed em with the above and put them on the bbq with no foil and they came out great but you have to be super vigilant b/c if they come off the grill or oven with no pink it's overdone and can be dry.

If you like the taste of duck and shoot good ducks it doesn't take much to enjoy them. If they are of iffy variety or come out of the bay (mud flats, etc.) vs. rice you may need to soak and brine to get the yuck out.

KWalkerM
11-17-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm a lazy white man who usually thinks about what to make for dinner about the time when I get hungry. :p What that means is really don't do prep (soaking, etc.).

I like to chop an onion, apple, maybe carrot and stuff the carcass, then pour some OJ concentrate inside the carcass, wrap in foil and before closing up the foil pour OJ concentrate over the breast. Place on BBQ, drink beer and wait till done.

I did some teal last weekend and just stuffed em with the above and put them on the bbq with no foil and they came out great but you have to be super vigilant b/c if they come off the grill or oven with no pink it's overdone and can be dry.

If you like the taste of duck and shoot good ducks it doesn't take much to enjoy them. If they are of iffy variety or come out of the bay (mud flats, etc.) vs. rice you may need to soak and brine to get the yuck out.

i like the idea of an apple in the bird, ill be trying that in the oven for the next bird i shoot. lol on iffy ducks. heck no on buffleheads, ruddies, coots and plate breakers, i try for only mallards, much better flavor. though i do know a guy who shoots coots

NickTheGreek
11-17-2012, 12:18 PM
i like the idea of an apple in the bird, ill be trying that in the oven for the next bird i shoot. lol on iffy ducks. heck no on buffleheads, ruddies, coots and plate breakers, i try for only mallards, much better flavor. though i do know a guy who shoots coots

There is nothing wrong with Ruddies. They have a bad reputation but they are delicious.

Butterball baby!
http://i.imgur.com/mN5ie.jpg

KWalkerM
11-17-2012, 12:54 PM
There is nothing wrong with Ruddies. They have a bad reputation but they are delicious.

Butterball baby!
http://i.imgur.com/mN5ie.jpg

they are just so small! im not a fan of cleaning the little birds

NickTheGreek
11-17-2012, 12:58 PM
they are just so small! im not a fan of cleaning the little birds

Just breast 'em out. Not much meat anywhere else anyways.

KWalkerM
11-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Just breast 'em out. Not much meat anywhere else anyways.

its just not worth it for me lol