PDA

View Full Version : 50BMG storage question and .510DTC

Unregistered
07-26-2007, 7:34 PM
My dad's got a 50BMG bolt action upper that he wants to give me, but I don't know if I can legally store it in my safe.

I only have an OLL .308 and his upper doesn't fit mines, so that's not even an issue.

I've also been wanting to build a .510 DTC, any opinions on these?

bwiese
07-26-2007, 7:46 PM
There is no 'constructive possession' for 50BMG rifles.

You're welcome to have the upper. I would keep it separated from any mating lower and certainly not in the same safe if you had a matching lower.

adamsreeftank
07-26-2007, 7:58 PM
While Bill is correct that it is probably legal to store the upper in your safe, the 50 BMG ban makes it illegal for you to have an un-registered 50 BMG rifle, so you will never be able to build this into a rifle in CA. In truth, even having the upper may put you at risk from an over zealous DA who feels it is prosecutable as a rifle. Likewise, if you father didn't register the upper, he could be in the same gray-area type of risk. I would advise you to sell the upper out of state and buy a Serbu in .510 DTC

blkA4alb
07-26-2007, 8:00 PM
While Bill is correct that it is probably legal to store the upper in your safe, the 50 BMG ban makes it illegal for you to have an un-registered 50 BMG rifle, so you will never be able to build this into a rifle in CA. In truth, even having the upper may put you at risk from an over zealous DA who feels it is prosecutable as a rifle. Likewise, if you father didn't register the upper, he could be in the same gray-area type of risk. I would advise you to sell the upper out of state and buy a Serbu in .510 DTC

The upper is not a rifle. How many people here have had AR-15 uppers shipped to their door? It is not a firearm, it is not serialized, it is a part just the same as a buttstock is.

Prince50
07-26-2007, 8:05 PM
Hey Unregistered,

Want to sell that upper????? I have a reciever registered as a .50BMG I'd love to swap uppers on. What is that one???

Anything but Watsons would be interesting.

Darin

Unregistered
07-26-2007, 8:07 PM
Thanks everyone, I am going to tell my dad to sell it, I don't want any problems if I ever do decide to build an AR15, I doubt I ever will build one though.

Serbu looks very nice!

Unregistered
07-26-2007, 8:07 PM
Hey Unregistered,

Want to sell that upper????? I have a reciever registered as a .50BMG I'd love to swap uppers on. What is that one???

Anything but Watsons would be interesting.

Darin

I don't remember exactly, but I do believe it was a watson IIRC

shooterx10
07-27-2007, 3:08 PM
I don't remember exactly, but I do believe it was a watson IIRC

Hey Unregistered,

Does it look something like this?

http://www.watsonsweapons.com/mediac/400_0/media/Upper$20w$20Lower$20and$20new$20brake$20good.JPG

Yeah, if so, heed bweise's advice and sell or junk the thing.

If you're interested in a bolt action upper in .510DTC:

www.50bmg.net (also available in 50ALS)
www.ferret50.com
www.bohicaarms.com
www.ultramag50.com

Blue
07-27-2007, 4:23 PM
I'm interested in buying it if he's looking to sell it. I don't care what brand it is :D

Unregistered
07-27-2007, 5:03 PM
If you're interested in a bolt action upper in .510DTC:

www.50bmg.net (also available in 50ALS)
www.ferret50.com
www.bohicaarms.com
www.ultramag50.com

WOW - 50ALS is a year out :eek:

CSACANNONEER
07-27-2007, 5:17 PM
50ALS is similar to .510DTC in that they are both wildcats based on the 50BMG cartirage. It is a shortened 50BMG but the walls are still tapered. If you are really interested in a 50, you should contact ALS and get all the info on his uppers. All I can say about my ALS is "WOW, it can shoot." I've only shot one match with it and I took 5th place in BOTH agg. group size and score! I shot several 50 1X and 50 2Xs with it! I even had the pleasure of touring the ALS facilities last week!

Unregistered
07-27-2007, 5:23 PM
How long did you have to wait for yours? Sorry but I'm not waiting a year.

CSACANNONEER
07-27-2007, 5:29 PM
I waited almost two years. I was waiting for a lefty but, Darran never got around to making any. It wasn't a problem for me to wait since I already had my AR50 to shoot. I will say that ALS uppers are worth the wait!

Unregistered
07-27-2007, 5:57 PM
Any opinion on the Bohica?

CSACANNONEER
07-27-2007, 6:34 PM
I'm hoping to see/fire a Bohica in the next couple of weeks. But, I would still rather invest in a proven design such as ALS or Ferret.

Prince50
07-27-2007, 8:39 PM
+1 on the uppers from ALS. Mine is chambered in .50BMG, and is top notch quality and accuracy. Unaware of their own chambering called"ALS", would be dissapointed if it were true. FCSA members are having enough difficulty with the variation between .510DTC and .510DTC-EDM. We do not need another .50BMG wildcat.

Darin.

Nefarious
07-28-2007, 8:06 AM
Any opinion on the Bohica?

I let you know when mine arrives - there are a handfull of us picking one up. Youll see some range reports soon enough