PDA

View Full Version : Good Multipurpose Hunting Rifle?

fireblast713
07-26-2007, 1:21 PM
So I'm looking to get into hunting. I just graduated from college so I don't really have a lot of free cash to buy say 3 or 4 rifles and I want a rifle which I can use for a wide variety of game. I've been looking into the Remington 700 series of rifles particularly in the .308 caliber and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Also I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between the Remington ADL and BDL actions and whether it's worth it to get one over the other?

Fjold
07-26-2007, 2:28 PM
ADL has a blind magazine (loads and unloads through the loading port), the BDL has bottom metal with a door that you can unload from. The BDL has better finish, etc. (It's a higher grade than the ADL) All the other parts, barrel, action, trigger etc are all the same.

The 308 will do anything that you want in California but it's a little large for varmint shooting and small game. I honestly feel that the 260 Remington is one of the best compromise dual purpose cartridges but most manufacturers have dropped the chambering though because people want specific use cartridges. The 7mm-08 will certainly fit the bill in a short action and I've taken alot of small and medium (deer size) game with the 243 also.

Take a look at the 25.06 as a good all around (CA) chambering in a long action also.

zefflyn
07-26-2007, 5:18 PM
Can't go wrong with any of those options. Also, check out Savage - they make some fine shooters at a lower price than Remington.

boro62
07-26-2007, 5:35 PM
Juss curious (im a super noobie when it comes to hunting) but what do you guys think of a lever action, mayb a marlin 336w in a 30-30. Or mayb one of marlins big bore lever actions like the model 1895 in a 45/70. They might be too big for varmint or small game though.

nhanson
07-26-2007, 8:12 PM
Take a look at the new Remington 700 SPS Varmint. It's comes in .308, .243, .223, .204 and .17. I just set up a .243 (I have a 7mm Sendero and it's a little much for varmints and small game) with some good optics and it is shooting 3/4" group at 100yards out of the box. .243 will tackle anything up to medium deer, it is a great varmint round (3900 fps on 62 grain Barnes varnmint grenades) and I'm getting 3100 fps on 95 grain Nosler Ballistic tips for bigger stuff. .243 is also the minimum caliber for larger game in many states so, a slight advantage over .223 for legal hunting and a big advantage for long range on small game (500+ yards) over .223 rem.

If it is your first, you may want to stick with .308, I chose a 7mm Ren Mag over the .308 but, that one is $1200 verses $550 for the varnmint rifle.

Find some you can shoot first if you can and see what you like.
The SPS line from remington is a great, inexpensive, and accurate rifle.

enjoy

HillBilly
07-31-2007, 6:43 PM
What are you wanting to hunt? If were talking deer for the most part, a 30-30 is a great choice for the mulies out here. It has probably taken more deer in it's lifetime that any other cartridge. The marlin 336 is a very solid gun. 45/70 is a butt kicker...recoil is pretty heavy. I say this cartridge is not the best choice for deer (although it will work just fine), but is perfect for bear and pig, and in fact, I would love to pick up a guide gun in 45/70 for bear hunting.

Between the .308 and .30-06, I would go .30-06 simply because it seems like more hunting load options exist. It is as versatile of a cartridge as you can get. Deer, pig, bear, elk, moose, etc. I have actually been to small stores that don't have any .308 loads with a decent bullet in them, but you can find 06's with some partitions just about anywhere in a pinch. For deer, I say get a used 336 or a BDL in .30-06, or a Winchester model 70 if you can find one. someone is always looking to trade up their hunting rifle.

Now...varmints too? .243. Great little round.

varmints only. .22-250 or 220 swift.

CSACANNONEER
07-31-2007, 6:49 PM
Have you considered a TC Contender or similar with multiple barrels in different calibers? You can even get shotgun and muzzleloading barrels for them.

ivanimal
08-01-2007, 12:06 PM
I am a big fan of the 30-06 for an all around gun. Get a 70 dollar 22 if you want to shoot squirell, I like more power tan less when it comes to killing game. I dont mind chasing the deer as much as I hate to see it suffer needlesly. The most popular rifle I saw on the east coast while hunting there was 257 Roberts. Gotta get me one of them. Good all around cartridge.

rksimple
08-01-2007, 12:58 PM
I think fjold has it right saying the 260 is one of the best all-around cartridges. If there were more factory offerings in rifles and ammo in this caliber, it would be a no-brainer what to get.

If you don't reload, it limits your choices. The 308 can be loaded for varmints, but its still a little on the heavy side for anything tiny. Same goes for most 30 cals. If you want a rifle for all types of hunting in CA, a 243 Win would be an great choice. That is, if your hunting is evenly divided between small and large game. If you plan on doing more big game action, any aforementioned caliber from 260 on up will be fine and a 700 BDL is an excellent rifle choice. Being limited to factory ammo, I would make my choice of caliber on what is more popular. Can't find 257 Roberts in Wal-Mart...

metalhead357
08-01-2007, 1:06 PM
Cant go wrong with the 700; and I do think the BDL is the better choice. As far as 308 goes- its personally one of my favs.....litterally cant go wrong with it for in any of the lower 48 states but especially for california. Will second the notion it is rather large for most varmit...... I litterally blew a coyote's back half away:eek: but for any of cali's Big game you cant go wrong with one.

ivanimal
08-01-2007, 2:01 PM
Can't find 257 Roberts in Wal-Mart...

This is so true, just to be sure I let you know I always recomend the 30-06 as all around because I feel it is a minimum for Elk. The caliber I own in most lever action's made in the 70's 80's and 90's is 308. I believe besides 22's I have more 308's than anything.

rksimple
08-01-2007, 3:04 PM
This is so true, just to be sure I let you know I always recomend the 30-06 as all around because I feel it is a minimum for Elk. The caliber I own in most lever action's made in the 70's 80's and 90's is 308. I believe besides 22's I have more 308's than anything.

I completely understand and that remark wasn't directed at you...just used it as an example. There are plenty of not-so-popular calibers that are fantastic for game. FWIW, I read in one of the hunting rags about a survey in Montana, Idaho, Colorado, and a few other states where they asked about the most popular Elk cartridge. The 308 was #3. It surprised me a bit.

timmyb21
08-01-2007, 6:49 PM
I'd say .270. I've killed everything from coyote to a 350lb. black bear with it. The only reason I don't have it anymore is that I gave it to my dad. It's lighter than the 7 mag that he used to have, that's now mine. He got old and whiney. ;)

Nahuatl
08-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Last year I bought a Tikka Lite .243 for under $500 w/DROS that came with both rings and swivels, shoots under an inch with most factory ammos, and weighs 7 pounds scoped. Extremely slick action w/detach mag. Since then it's killed a lot of stuff.

CaliTheKid
08-14-2007, 9:54 AM
x2 for the Tikka-- I have one in .308 and it is a very accurate rifle for the money-- it's a back up to my Sako. From what I understand the same factory turns Sako and Tikka out and it just depends what day of the week it is as to which barrels they are making (unconfirmed internet banter so treat it as such). Regardless the Tikka is a winner.

If you are not going to go for anything bigger than a boar the .243 would be a good choice as you could varmint with it.

If you are going to go boar on up then stick with the .308 or 30.06. I use the .308 becasue most of my other long guns are .308 and it's easier to keep that ammo around.