PDA

View Full Version : Smith 22A Owners Here!!

PAKALO
11-14-2012, 3:11 PM
So I just ordered the 22A 5.5 bull barrel
wondering who out there also owns one and what you think?? its a Smith so im expecting quality here.. fits just like the 22/45 ruger but less expensive? why?
what kinds of ammo do yall run thru as well??
thanks brothers

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/107426_01_lg.jpg

Darth_Finger
11-14-2012, 4:32 PM
How come this over an M&P?

shooterbill
11-14-2012, 4:39 PM
Your gun will come with 2 extra bushings that go on the end of the recoil spring. When your gun starts to misfire, that's what it is. I have had a 22A from the custom shop for 6 years and its great. Other than the bushings I haven't had any problems.

odslim
11-14-2012, 4:48 PM
IMO..Cause its way cheaper vs. the MP.22 lr pistol cost about 379.99 (on sale) and the 22A runs about 239.99. I wanted the MP ever since smith introduced it, but its kinda too rich for my blood right now. So this 22A might be a sub for right now. Plus I think Magazines for the MP.22 right now is like $30, damn more expensive than my MP.45 magazines.

odslim
11-14-2012, 4:57 PM
Your gun will come with 2 extra bushings that go on the end of the recoil spring. When your gun starts to misfire, that's what it is. I have had a 22A from the custom shop for 6 years and its great. Other than the bushings I haven't had any problems.

hey shooterbill, can you just install the bushing right away to avoid any misfire at all, or do you absolutley have to wait til it does misfires, is it some type of break in procedure? Other than that, how has yoour 22A been treating you, does it act up with certain brand bullets or can you feed it anything?

As you may have read, Iv been wanting a full size 22lr that will fit my large hands, hence..why Iv been wanting the MP.22lr pistol, but price of that as I had mention is out of my budget. To me I absolutly need to consider extra magazines and its cost, especially for a .22....

BigJ
11-14-2012, 5:09 PM
A good bud of mine has one and I've had the pleasure of shooting it a few times. Sweet, sweet gun for sure.

If I had to knit pick though I'd say the slide release and safety lever seemed undersized to me, to the point of being unnatural to operate (coming from a target tuned 1911 here, so keep that in mind). Also, the trigger break took some getting used to.

Having said all that, yup she's a winner. One tip I've read is that on the new productions you might want to lightly polish the feed ramp. Apparently that helps her keep fed when she starts getting dirty.

Enjoy!

shooterbill
11-14-2012, 6:19 PM
Hey odslim, mine eats everything. But the bulk stuff is not that good. It will still shoot it. The 22A's I have seen have been very accurate. The recoil buffer just wears out and gets a curve in the bottom section where it sits on the slide. S&W sells them for $0.58 each so I buy a bunch when I order. I wish I would have had one years ago. Very fun to shoot.

Izzy43
11-14-2012, 6:23 PM
hey shooterbill, can you just install the bushing right away to avoid any misfire at all, or do you absolutley have to wait til it does misfires, is it some type of break in procedure? Other than that, how has yoour 22A been treating you, does it act up with certain brand bullets or can you feed it anything?

There is already a bushing (actually a recoil buffer) install behind the bolt for buffering the recoil of the bolt. Mine shoots everything I have fed it. Federal bulk, Winchester bulk, Rem Target, American Eagle 38 and 40gr, Federal Lightning, Eley Sport, Aguila Pistol Match, Wolf MT, well you get the picture, its not picky about ammo. I would advise against using any Hyper-Velocity ammo. Hard on the buffer and hard on the slide and bolt.

PAKALO
11-14-2012, 7:37 PM
How come this over an M&P?

the M&P is lighter and you can really feel that in its construction. felt more like a kids toy kinda like the sr 22..
the MKIII has some hefty weight as well any 1911 22s (and thats my preferable fit)

PAKALO
11-14-2012, 7:40 PM

ive heard this takes some time like at least a year or so depending uses. let me ask you about how many rounds if you had to estimate???

shooterbill
11-15-2012, 11:07 AM
My gun starts to have issues at about 2000 rounds. Just an estimate. If you don't shoot that much the buffer will last a long time. They are easy and cheap to replace. No tools.

angrytroll
11-16-2012, 10:47 PM
I have had mine for about a year shot it tons of times . I am really happy with it . My 12 year old daughter has started shooting it and is easy for her to handle.

donw
11-17-2012, 7:23 AM
be sure to keep it clean and it should give you plenty of good shooting. (polishing the feed ramp, as mentioned earlier, helps, too)

be sure to follow the directions of the owners manual for assembly/dis-assembly...it can be frustrating if not followed...

DisturbedAle
11-17-2012, 8:31 AM
Great gun, love mine to death but I am getting rid of it so I can get a 1911-22 and get trigger time with the 1911 platform.

Viper49
11-17-2012, 9:19 AM
I got the old SW22A that I use for plinking. Good little pistol and the accuracy is pretty good too. I broke the firing pin at more then 10 thousand rounds. Called S&W regarding the broken firing pin. They send me a RMA ticket with return FedEx label and repair it for free. Still shooting that little 4" SW22A. After the firing pin fix from SW they recommand that to change out the rear brushing around 5 thousand rounds. Enjoy your 22A and they are a very good little plinking pistol :D

railroader
11-18-2012, 9:41 AM
I have the basic 22a. The front sight on mine is hard to see but it looks like you are getting the version with the fiber optic. My gun is super reliable but it shoots a couple of inches high at 20yards with the rear sight bottomed out. I just installed a thin shim under the rail in the front so that should solve that problem. I like the 22a but I prefer my buckmark.

ramathorn
11-18-2012, 9:47 AM
Mine shoots any ammo, mostly cheap stuff. No complaints.

villageidiot
11-18-2012, 9:59 AM
ive had no complaints with mine, though its only seen about 500 rounds thru it. i bought it specifically for the fact that it fits my super size hands extremely well.

i went to turners, "tried on" every .22lr pistol they had under 500 bucks, and this one fit the best. then i looked at the price tag, and it was on sale for $229.00, a no brainer for me

MA2
11-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Wow, replacement wood grips are pretty expensive (~$100).
Anything comparable but slightly cheaper?...

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/81/22205134.jpg

shooterbill
11-18-2012, 10:59 AM
MA2, the pic you posted is the model I have, but my grip is different. Mine is flared at the bottom and it's a different color. The S&W logo isn't on my grip also. I think I paid about $80.

gwanghoops
11-18-2012, 11:37 AM
My 22A had feeding problems until I switched to Federal Champion bulk pack. S&W customer service is awesome. I've gotten the grip screws and recoil spring sent to me for the price of a phone call. Not much choice for grips. Have to insert with decent force to ensure the magazine is seated 100% or you get FTF problems. The safety and slide release controls are way too small. The safety is horrible and should be deleted.

bill_k_lopez
11-18-2012, 12:23 PM
I have 4 of these (I couldn't say no when Turner's had them for $209, so I got one for every member of my family).

For two of mine I purchased the $100 laminate wood grips - there are some issues. The grips need to be fitted to your gun, the magazine release spring that runs down the front of the gun gets "squeezed" by the grip when you fire, thus causing the magazine to release after every couple shots, then causes a misfeed. I experienced this with both of my grips (two different styles) from S&W.

Agree with the need to clean often. I decided to run one of my guns dirty to see how long it would take before it would start giving me problems. Didn't take long. One outing and no cleaning caused misfire after misfire the next time out (I shoot every two weeks). I'm going to try polishing the feed ramp today (after that idea) to see if that will help.

I have tried a variety of ammo in these guns and what seems to work best for me were the Blazers - at least at first. I'm starting to have problems with them now, jamming on feed and getting the lead bent.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff509/bill_k_lopez/22a.jpg

I have red dots on two of them, they seem to shoot accurate enough - nothing like my High Standard Supermatic Trophy, or my buddy's S&W 41 - but you can't really compare $1000 + guns to $200 guns.

Wish mine would have been all black, but all Turner's offered were the two tone.

Webologist
11-19-2012, 3:14 AM
My 22a eats everything I've fed it but my other .22s like the Federal Champion bulk best, so that's what mine mostly eats.

I've had mine for 5 years and its been awesome. No issues. With the little plastic recoil buffer, just replace it when inspection during cleaning shows that it's getting noticeably flattened.

My gun is amazingly accurate when I do my part. Shooting groups as tight as a .22 rifle at 25 yards isn't uncommon.

Nits are few. The mag release is on on the front under the trigger guard. The safety works well, but seems cheaply made. The sights are black and are hard to see in indoor ranges with poor lighting. Especially against black targets. The finish is painted instead of blued. It still looks new, but it's no showpiece.

Overall, great gun.

PAKALO
11-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Oh man finally went in to shop today to Jail my 22a. SO SO happy. the looks and feel of it are far better than I remember and the front optic gives my bad eyes something to see finally. obviously have not gotten chance to fire this one yet but could not be any happier. I ordered mine from galleryofguns.com super good $$
ive seen the two tones and others but the BB on this and the fiber optic sight is just amazing quality for the $$
theres not a lot of them left as they are discontinuing this model to make way for there new hifi looks...get this if you can calgunners

PAKALO
12-05-2012, 2:29 PM
UPDATE:
went out to range today and shot 500 rounds (bone fresh factory greased) Probably got a FTE three times.. I was very impressed by this.. All the factory frosting and it was super accurate and crisp.. Obviously im going to clean it today just to get all that crap out of there.. seriously seriously happy...
Anyone have suggestions on the ammo they prefer?? I used nothing but federal bulk pack..(no cheap Winchesters)
thanks yall

Timbob55
12-05-2012, 3:09 PM
I've had one for years, and it worked great until last year when a part of the rail broke off. I don't have a drawing on hand or I could show exactly what broke.

To their credit, S&W fixed no charge.