PDA

View Full Version : nov 17 appleseed

tulogmantika
11-13-2012, 10:54 PM
hi this is my 1st time attending appleseed! anybody planning on staying overnight at the premises? any tip/advice? what're you guys using? im taking my 10/22 target and an AR (5.56 and 22lr conversion) as a backup... lookin forward to the event!

Rock6.3
11-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Which Nov 17 Appleseed are you attending?

I'll be at Red Bluff.

tulogmantika
11-14-2012, 10:34 AM
sac valley i believe

Rock6.3
11-14-2012, 10:48 AM
At Sac Valley none of the staff will be onsite overnight, but self contained trailers are permitted overnight. Those arrangements must be made directly with the office staff at Sac Valley Shooting Center. Ask about the very important rules regarding what time the gate gets locked so you don't end up on the wrong side of it.

If you have an easy up, BRING IT.
Bring a shooting mat or tarp + carpet to lay upon since the shooting line is dirt/gravel and showers are expected, our program continues even if it rains so be prepared.
Bring a chair.

Bring your lunch, the program continues right thru lunch.

Rifles: expect to see a bunch of Ruger 10/22's and a few AR-15's.
For the 10/22 you will want to install Tech Sights or a low power scope to get away from the very poor factory sights.
A front sling mount with a 1.25" USGI web sling will become your best friend at Appleseed.

PurplePeople
11-14-2012, 9:27 PM
Which Nov 17 Appleseed are you attending?

I'll be at Red Bluff.

See you there!

tulogmantika
11-14-2012, 10:03 PM
will a 3-9x powered scope work? thanks rock!

BonnieB
11-15-2012, 1:05 AM
Got a rifle, got a 3-9x scope, but scope is not installed. Will this be a serious problem? I can't do the install myself and have no time to take it to a gunsmith.

Rock6.3
11-15-2012, 7:34 AM
Got a rifle, got a 3-9x scope, but scope is not installed. Will this be a serious problem? I can't do the install myself and have no time to take it to a gunsmith.

On a Ruger 10/22 (if you have all the parts) a scope install takes just a few minutes.

Quinc
11-15-2012, 9:02 AM
I will be at the Red Bluff one Saturday! Will it still happen if it is raining?

Rock6.3
11-15-2012, 9:19 AM
Appleseeds run in the rain, snow, sleet, or shine :)

At Red Bluff we have a covered shooting line and a building with a wood stove for the lunchtime instruction.

Dress appropriately since the walk to the targets and back is not covered.

tiller
11-15-2012, 12:00 PM

You cant install the scope?

BonnieB
11-15-2012, 4:11 PM
You cant install the scope?

It's one of those things that is easy if you've ever done it. But I'm going to have a go at it. YouTube is a wonderful thing....

I have lots of tools and motivation. What I don't have is a gun vise, or any reasonable substitute to brace the rifle in, while working on it. Not even padded bricks!

I can install the mount for sure. And maybe even get the scope on it, after watching YouTube. God knows if it will be remotely on target without being able to brace the rifle while twiddling knobs. Maybe they'll help out at the Gun Range on Friday night.

('m hoping they'll take pity on me at Appleseed and help me get it zero'd.

Rock6.3
11-15-2012, 4:43 PM
Do not worry about getting the scope sighted in.

Just get it attached and gently snug the rings around the tube.

We will be working on sight adjustments early on Saturday as part of the normal course of fire.

elfstone
11-15-2012, 7:58 PM
3x9 scope works great.
Lots of ammo of the same kind/ batch. CCI mini-mags is at walmart right now and is consistent.
You need that army "M1" sling. If you don't have one, bring the sling you have but a better option is a 1 1/4" or 1" webling/lashing that can be adjusted.

Have fun. I'll be at Corona.

BonnieB
11-15-2012, 8:32 PM
Do not worry about getting the scope sighted in.

Just get it attached and gently snug the rings around the tube.

We will be working on sight adjustments early on Saturday as part of the normal course of fire.

Cool! I can do that !

Doncha just love a woman who owns her own socket wrench set :cool2:?

Quinc
11-16-2012, 2:34 PM
I am thinking the rain is ok, and the 25mph wind is ok, but both together sounds like a pretty crappy day. :(

Lazyme
11-16-2012, 4:26 PM
Red coats don't care if its raining when they attack...

I wish I could shoot in the rain this weekend but I have to go to the Big Reno Show and play in the snow.

Learning how to sight in your rifle and learning about minute of angle is a great thing that happens at these events. I was worried my first time but once the paper full of squares comes out everything got cleared up real quick.

BonnieB
11-18-2012, 1:53 AM
What? You're supposed to see the squares? I was using intuition!.

Rock6.3
11-18-2012, 8:54 PM
The Red Bluff Appleseed turned out to be awesome.

Sure it was wet on Saturday, but not a problem with the covered lines that Tehama Shooters Association has built on this range.

And Sunday was cool and dry. Perfect shooting weather.

tulogmantika
11-19-2012, 7:40 AM
we got rained on this saturday... soaking wet and cold we braved the elements and still got my rifleman patch! boo-yah!

pennys dad
11-21-2012, 5:20 PM
Bonnie, how did you do?
How did the shoot go?

Where :-0 are the stories?

BuckleNose
11-21-2012, 7:45 PM
we got rained on this saturday... soaking wet and cold we braved the elements and still got my rifleman patch! boo-yah!

Congrats! Another Rifleman, good job.

BuckleNose
11-21-2012, 7:52 PM
3x9 scope works great.
Lots of ammo of the same kind/ batch. CCI mini-mags is at walmart right now and is consistent.
You need that army "M1" sling. If you don't have one, bring the sling you have but a better option is a 1 1/4" or 1" webling/lashing that can be adjusted.

Have fun. I'll be at Corona.

Were you a shooter at Corona or part of the staff?

elfstone
11-21-2012, 8:04 PM
Were you a shooter at Corona or part of the staff?

I was a participant on Sun. at Corona. Are you Jeff by any chance?