PDA

View Full Version : santa ynez hunting ban

jrr
11-13-2012, 9:17 PM
I read that there is a ban on hunting in the lower santa ynez area of the los padres forest in the Santa Barbara ranger district along Paradise rd. However, the ban states it is in effect through March 2012.

I cant find any indication that it has been extended, but also no firm confirmation that its expired. Does anyone know if the area is open again to hunters?

If all else fails ill call the rangers office, but its sometimes hard to get good info where guns are concerned. Thamks!

ckhb
11-13-2012, 11:01 PM
I went out for a hunting trip there I think in August and there is hunting but only in specified areas outside the campgrounds and away from the river. The Rangers weren't very helpful on information. Drop by the ranger station or the campgrounds and check with the campground hosts. The host at Paradise campground had flyers with the hunting areas marked and such.

ckhb
11-13-2012, 11:04 PM
I just found the flyer in my closet if you want me to scan it later and send it to you just let me know

jrr
11-14-2012, 2:11 PM
Hey, thanks for the info. I will be going camping up there soon, so I will talk with the camp host. I have found the map showing closed areas per the 2011 order, so it will be interesting to see if the off limits areas are the same. If so, then they are still enforcing an expired order....

If you get a chance, maybe you could post it for all to compare? Hopefully its just a map of the campgrounds, private property, and river areas that are off limits to discharge of a firearm.

Thanks!

littlebear44
11-14-2012, 3:29 PM
I called the ranger district this afternoon, a female employee told me there is still no hunting in the rec area. Basically you have to hike a ways to hunt. I guess if you dont mind walking its not a bad thing because it keeps many others out of there. Basically She told me because it has become so popular with your average joe they didnt want people hunting near campgrounds, swimming holes, etc. Im taking the gf hiking up there,:D scouting for me :D, and ill report back. Going up monday morning coming back wed. Not sure if were gonna camp there or near the beach.