PDA

View Full Version : I think I am sold on a MKIII 22/45.

INFAMOUS762X39
11-13-2012, 7:56 PM
I've finally decided I want a Ruger MKIII 22/45, I am well overdue. I was looking at the Hunter 22/45 since it is on the roster. But after doing research on fluting, I have semi decided on the standard 5.5" Barrel.

-Besides Ammo and Magazines, any aftermarket parts you recommend? Such Magazine Disconnect, sights, trigger etc.

-Any cleaning tips? I plan to leave as is and not take her down because I know they are a pain to put back together.

I may wait for a Turner Ruger sale, or just jump the gun and buy one this week.

Thanks for your time!

Distro
11-13-2012, 8:07 PM
This one goes on sale the 23rd at Turners

Ruger Mark III Target .22LR
Adjustable Target Sights
5 1/2" Bull Barrel
Includes Weaver Style Scope base
Blued Steel Frame
Two 10rd Magazines
$359.98

Carsgunsandchics
11-13-2012, 8:19 PM
To ease the take down pains. And eliminates mag lock safety. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/243182/majestic-arms-32-speed-strip-kit-ruger-mark-i-ii-iii-22-45

Stardude82
11-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Get an Ultimate Clip<sic> Loader.

Also think about the grips. Unless you are conformable with shaving plastic off the frame, you are stuck with it. I haven't heard of any after market solutions that work. Maybe think about a regular Mk. III. (What makes a regular Mk. III a whole $90 more than a 22/45?)

You get use to the field strip. After going through a couple bulk boxes, the action and trigger feels quite a bit gritty.

I assume you mean "bull barrel" because I don't think the 22/45 comes in a "standard" Luger-ish one.

Wicked K5
11-14-2012, 12:26 PM
OP,
These are great pistols for sure. My P512MKIII is my most fun gun. It's accurate, eats everything, and best of all inexpensive to purchase and shoot. But then again, you can get very carried away with aftermarket addons.
Thus far I have:
-Ultimate Clip Loader
-TacSol/Black Dog holster
-HiViz fiberoptic front sight
-Sam's bushing to eliminate mag disco
-Gravity slingshot mod
-two extra mags

Still waiting to get:
-Volq grip frame if/when they make one
-Volq sear
-Volq trigger
-Volq disconnector
-remove LCI
-LCI filler
-extended mag baseplates

As far as disassembly and reassembly, it's much easier than most people make it out to be. SERIOUSLY! It's not that difficult. I can field strip mine in about two minutes. Detail strip in about 8-10 minutes. And I'm sure there's many people that can do it quicker than I. There's many resources on disassembly and reassembly. This is my favorite video for field stripping and reassembly procedure.

4fIYIWK0boo

Get an Ultimate Clip<sic> Loader.
^This!
Also think about the grips. Unless you are conformable with shaving plastic off the frame, you are stuck with it. I haven't heard of any after market solutions that work. Maybe think about a regular Mk. III. (What makes a regular Mk. III a whole $90 more than a 22/45?)
I'm guessing the metal frame. Many people have done the mod themselves or paid "Dominic" from RFC to do it so they can accept 1911 grips. I'm waiting for Volq to do a 22/45 frame :)

spetsnaz
11-14-2012, 12:30 PM
highly recommend a great shooter. pain to clean but its worth it. there's also a lot of aftermarket upgrades ava.

onegtalon
11-14-2012, 12:44 PM
This is the one gun I always take to the range. This is what I did to mine.... so far. ;)

Hi viz front sight, painted the rear
Sam's bushing for mag disconnect
Slingshot mod (free)
Volq rail + Burris fastfire III red dot
extra mags (get at least 3)
HKS speedloader

Have fun cleaning that thing. :p

ChrisZ
11-14-2012, 12:48 PM
You should be sold on one. They are great pistol. I had mine for 3-4 month now, and I've already been thru 1500 rounds.

I got a hammer bushing from Sam (sg552.2@gmail), and no more mag disconnect.
Just strip it down a few times, it will get easier. The pin on mine had to be tapped out at first. Now its loose enough to remove by hand.

Get one and you will be glad :)

Fherot
11-14-2012, 5:19 PM
Once you fart around with the Ruger Mk III pistols enough the disassembly and reassembly gets easy - just get the MkII hammer bushing from Volquartsen on Midwayusa.

mxadam579
11-14-2012, 6:23 PM
i got the markIII hunter and love it

SoCal Bob
11-14-2012, 6:42 PM
I have a 22/45 and I recommend:

The ultimate cliploader - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=ultimate%20clip%20loader&_sop=15

A VQ extractor - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/363360/volquartsen-exact-edge-extractor-ruger-10-22-10-22-magnum-mark-ii-mark-iii-22-45

A TK magazine disconnect bushing- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-Mark-III-22-45-Magazine-Disconnect-Hammer-Bushing-/330805136107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0585caeb