PDA

View Full Version : .22lr Match ammo

janus408
11-13-2012, 7:21 PM
I bought a Savage MKII bolt .22lr to practice precision shooting at 100 yards, and from what I have read Wolf Match .22lr is the best, most accurate ammo I can use. I found a 500 round deal I am thinking about getting... Should I just snatch this up and not worry about ammo for a while (ever) or should I get a bunch of 50 round boxes and see how my rifle does with each...

I should say that this rifle is a ways out of actually being used. It gets to my FFL Wednesday, and I don't get it til next Friday. Boyds stock should be here before then. Still on the hunt for a scope... So it's not like I am really itching to order ammo just yet.

covingtonhouse
11-13-2012, 7:33 PM
Best bet is get a couple of boxes of asd many types as you can afford and do some testing. There is a link here somewhere to an in-depth test done on accurateshooter.com. The test involved at least 25 different brands/types of ammo. I have a MKII BV and used this test as inspiration for my own ammo test. I found that the top line stuff from Eley, Lapua and RWS all group extremely tight out of my rifle. the only problem is I can't afford to shoot $15.00/bx or more very often if at all. I also found that neither one of the Wolf Match offerings work very well out of my rifle. Others swear by it. However SK std+ which is the same as Wolf Match Target shoots very well out of my rifle. .22's are extremely finicky from one rifle to another as to what works for accuracy. After you find what works well vs. what you can afford, then buy a large amount of something you know will be accurate.

janus408
11-13-2012, 7:36 PM
Yeah I figured I should just dig in and do this... I also read that MKIIs can take ~200 rounds before they settle in and start performing better. I guess I will just plink some cheap ammo for the first day, then take it back and really test it.

shooterbill
11-13-2012, 7:39 PM
22's do really well if you measure rim thickness and match the rounds up. It's kind of a pain, but you can get great results from inexpensive ammo. You can get a selection of different brands and see what works for you. It all depends what kind of accuracy you want.

covingtonhouse
11-13-2012, 7:40 PM
mine took awhile to settle in. Something else to be aware of is the action screw torque. The bottom metal is kind of flimsy and tends to bow a bit when torque is applied. too much and you mash it up, too little and you get inconsistency. What model did you get??

Stoopy
11-13-2012, 7:51 PM
Look at dip products inc for better bottom metal.
http://www.diproductsinc.com/default.aspx?PAGE=Main%20Page
Wolf shoots well out of my TR. At the CAPRC rimfire competitions almost everyone shoots wolf ammo.

BSlacker
11-13-2012, 8:02 PM
practice precision shooting at 100 yardsWind and your bench setup will be more important than the ammo at 100 yards with a rimfire.
To find out what shoots good in your rifle try 50 yards. It is a common rimfire target distance and you will be able to compare groups better.
Wolf is ok to start and 500 rounds is nothing in rimfire will last about one two trips max. RWS Rifle Match is good. Google R50 rimfire that is the best money can buy.
If you want to do 100 yards get some cheap ammo to learn wind.
So wind flags and front rest along with a good rear rest maybe an elbow pad then look at some practice to get your eye and scope to work good together and then you find the mounts a little high or low and buy new.
A 3X9X40 scope is about normal for a rimfire. For precision you will want a target rectical. Scopes for precision at 100 yards start at 20X. If you can't see it you can't hit it. Rifle and ammo plus scope is just the beginning. :)

ar15barrels
11-13-2012, 9:43 PM
I bought a Savage MKII bolt .22lr to practice precision shooting at 100 yards, and from what I have read Wolf Match .22lr is the best, most accurate ammo I can use. I found a 500 round deal I am thinking about getting... Should I just snatch this up and not worry about ammo for a while (ever) or should I get a bunch of 50 round boxes and see how my rifle does with each...

if the gun won't shoot 10 rounds of wolf into a group the size of a dime at 50yds from a solid benchrest, something is wrong with it or the shooter.

Don't even bother testing a whole bunch of different kinds of ammo.
Just order 4 bricks of wolf match at a time...

jakuda
11-13-2012, 10:55 PM
It really depends how much money you want to spend.
Wolf Match is the exact same round as SK Jagd Standard. Many bullseye pistol shooters and international/olympic-style rifle shooters use those as practice rounds. Perfectly fine.

I use CCI Standard Velocity for bullseye. I find it no better or worse than the above two out of my firearms. targetsportsusa.com has a case of 500 for $275 including shipping.

Eley Team, Eley Match, and Eley Tenex, are among the most precise/consistent 22 rounds available. Olympic shooters usually shoot Tenex or the top of the line Lapua stuff for matches. Team, Match (black box) and Tenex actually come from the same machines, but after lot testing or demand, gets downgraded. Some lots of Team actually are the same as Tenex quality, so when shooters find those lots, they buy as much as they can find.

janus408
11-13-2012, 11:43 PM
The Rifle: Savage MKII FV SR. (http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR)

I am looking for an optic right now, trying to find a 4-14x or higher. I have a Boyds stock incoming, and I will be getting the thicker metal from dip.

I know Randall knows his stuff, just going to start with 500 of Wolf Match. I will try some others after I make it through that.

korny351
11-14-2012, 6:36 AM
targetsportsusa.com has a case of 500 for $275 including shipping.

Think you missed a 0. Should read " a case of 5000 for $275 including shipping."

Izzy43
11-14-2012, 7:11 AM
The Rifle: Savage MKII FV SR. (http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR)

I am looking for an optic right now, trying to find a 4-14x or higher. I have a Boyds stock incoming, and I will be getting the thicker metal from dip.

I know Randall knows his stuff, just going to start with 500 of Wolf Match. I will try some others after I make it through that.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from inexpensive Chinese made scopes. A cheap 6-24x scope will not perform as well as a Japanese or Philippine made 4-16x. Good glass and accurate turrets will trump cheap, high magnification scopes everytime. Been there, done that. I only shoot targets 25-100yds and my lowest power scope is a 4-16x. For 100yds, as another poster said, 20x is about the minumum for that range if you want to see where individual bullets are hitting.

My minimum recommendation is a Weaver 40/44 6.5-20x44mm AO scope made in the Philippines, $180. Then a Weaver V24, 6-24x AO scope made in Japan, $340. Another that I like is the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44mm Side Focus made in Japan, $280 available at cameralandny.com for a short time until sold out.

There are other fine scopes out there from Nikon, Leupold and many others. As you can see the ones I listed are not cheap but buy a good scope once and not be disappointed. Also buy quality rings such as Burris Signature Zee rings with offset inserts. Lastly do your research before purchasing.

SK Std+ and Wolf MT (same ammo) shoots very well out of my Savage BTVS, 3/8" to 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50 yds and also just happens to be the ammo my other .22 rifles like the best. While those two ammos are the same for some reason my Savage likes the SK a little better. I have found that Lapua Center-X is more accurate but at twice the price is not worth it to me. The CCI SV ammo does not shoot well from my Savage and I get quite a few failures to eject with it but might do well in yours, worth a try.

I get my Wolf/SK ammo from J&G in Prescott, AZ. If you purchase 10-50round boxes or more the price is $4.65/50. I generally order at least 1500 rounds as that seems to be the sweet spot for the best shipping cost.

ar15barrels
11-14-2012, 9:31 AM

I am looking for an optic right now, trying to find a 4-14x or higher.

I'll keep saying it...

Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40 side focus with mil-dot reticle.
It does not look as fancy as some of the cheaper Chinese scopes, but it's not made in china either. Optics are very good and most importantly, it has reliable mechanics. In precision rifle shooting, the mechanical reliability/repeatability of the scope is the most important attribute of a scope.

Also, don't get held up on having enough magnification in the scope to see the bullet holes.
That's what spotting scopes are for.
Sometimes, it's better NOT to see the impacts because when you see that 1/2 moa group forming at 100 yds, you will screw yourself and throw a shot.
I find I shoot tighter groups when I don't know how tight the group is DURING the group being fired.
As an example, here is 10 rounds on a 3/4" shoot-n-see at 88yds:

http://www.ar15barrels.com/gfx/wolf-match.jpg

Lastly, precision shooting is all about repeatability.
That means that as long as your hold on target is repeatable, the magnification does not matter.
Don't be fooled to think that more magnification makes it easier to be more repeatable either...

http://www.ar15barrels.com/gfx/22targets2.jpg

pennys dad
11-14-2012, 9:41 AM
Hard to argue with AR15B or Izzy on the optics choice.
It just so happens I have both recommendations and they are both consistent and in the accuracy game, consistency is key.

GJC
11-14-2012, 12:11 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/760482/nikon-buckmasters-rifle-scope-45-14x-40mm-side-focus-mil-dot-reticle-matte

khw9mm
11-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Think you missed a 0. Should read " a case of 5000 for $275 including shipping."

If a case of 5000 Wolf MT goes for $275 it is a freaking deal!!! But too bad it's not. It's $499.

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-3350-wolf-match-target-22-long-rifle-40-grain-lead-round-nose-ammunition.aspx

Here's a better price: http://www.championshooters.com/store/product.php?productid=478&cat=316&page=1

I feel very comfortable buying Wolf MT by the case. Very fun to shoot and practice and have not had any FTF or FTE. This is out of a Savage.

jakuda
11-14-2012, 9:49 PM
It's 275 for a case of CCI Standard Velocity

Spdjunkie
11-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Not sure if your local, but I have SK Jagd Std Plus for sale:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=633868

SK Jagd Standard Plus is the Same as Wolf Match Target, same Lapua Germany Owned plant.
* Matter of fact both Wolf Match Target & SK Jagd Std.+ came in the same Lapua marked case.

janus408
11-15-2012, 1:57 AM
Not sure if your local, but I have SK Jagd Std Plus for sale:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=633868

SK Jagd Standard Plus is the Same as Wolf Match Target, same Lapua Germany Owned plant.
* Matter of fact both Wolf Match Target & SK Jagd Std.+ came in the same Lapua marked case.

Im in the bay area :(