View Full Version : Umarex MP5 A5 22LR Suppressor

11-13-2012, 7:18 PM
I love my umarex mp5 but i wanted to ask members, is there any fake suppressors out there that i can replace the original one that comes with the rifle?? Its just to heavy and i would like to replace it with either a plastic fake suppressor or a lighter aluminum one?

11-13-2012, 8:20 PM
i think that can is part of the barrel, to remove it you have to cut off the barrel (big no no).

11-15-2012, 8:48 AM
i think that can is part of the barrel, to remove it you have to cut off the barrel (big no no).

Well yes and no. The can isn't actually part of the barrel. It can be removed to expose a long, inner barrel. But according to what the OP said, sounds like he wants to directly replace the barrel shroud which would require him to chop the barrel.

At OP, if you want to replace the barrel shroud with a suppressor, you will either have to settle for a ridiculously long barrel (around 21") or chop your barrel. If you want to chop your barrel, it will have to be registered with the BATFE as an SBR.

IMO, it's not worth the trouble to put on a suppressor especially for a .22. If you want ultra quiet shooting, then you may just want to try subsonic ammo. No it won't cycle the MP5 but it's better than going through the hassle of registering and getting a compatible silencer.

11-15-2012, 10:51 AM
I just wanted to replace the fake suppressor/compensator with a lighter after market one. The original is in about 14.5 ounces.

I found this replacement but under specifications, it weight is 12.5 ounces.

This is a nice replacement if anyone is interested but out of my budget.

I'm looking for one that is 5-6 ounces.

11-16-2012, 8:33 PM
The last time I had the comp off of my MP5, I could have sworn I remembered there being a press-fit sleeve inside of it to slip over that pseudo-barrel-sleeve covering the pencil-barrel. I'm wondering if you're able to pop that out, and if so, if you can remove whatever media was loaded into the compensator as a weight. (seeing as in theory a hollow-metal shell and a plastic press-fit tube should weigh mere ounces, not darn near a pound)

A curiosity did come to mind; should you find an alternative, and if the alternative does not extend past the end of the barrel itself, would you be at risk of creating a SBR? The manufacturer lists the barrel as 16.1", but that comp sticks forward of the barrel a good 3/16" or so. I have no idea whether they measured with it attached or not.

Another idea may simply be a bushing that threads into the end of the barrel and keeps it rigid with the pseudo-barrel-sleeve on the weapon; that may maintain accuracy while removing almost all of the forward weight. It may look a little silly, unless you can manage some kind of a flash-hider appearance to it, but it might suit your needs.

On the above note, I decided to do a quick search, and turned up this product: http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-Umarex-416-Colt-MP5-22-Barrel-Adapter-238p1845.htm Seems that would do exactly what I was describing, and is only $40. Worth a shot perhaps?

11-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Gatotsu77, I was thinking of looking into the fake suppressor to see if there is anything in there that is putting in weight. ill check this coming weekend.

I would love to sbr but not worth going to jail!!!! ive seen the barrel adapter and that would work great getting the hk 416 pistol barrel and making a sbr but to put on with the skinny barrel as is would look to funny for me.