PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Acronyms

full.monte
11-13-2012, 3:36 AM
I like reading the threads in the forum but often get befuddled by the many acronyms used. Is there a place here where they are defined? Thanks!

fouber
11-13-2012, 4:11 AM
Welcome aboard.

I use google to find the meanings, after a while, you can pretty much guess or you can always ask what Something means.

troysland
11-13-2012, 5:11 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=78606

Wicked Pete
11-13-2012, 6:51 AM
Welcome. Sometimes they are "ad-lib". ITBL is "in before the bolt lock". Rifle reference. After the bolt lock (thread deleted), there ain't no more posting.

Some will make up IBFP = "in before fighter pilot". Fighter Pilot is famous for his post count. So many posts in such a short time.

fouber
11-13-2012, 6:54 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=78606

Thanks

Atlantaboi2012
11-13-2012, 7:42 AM
Old school military and law enforcement types love using acronyms. I dont.. It only takes a fraction of a second or two to type the whole word out. My rational is because too many acronyms are alike but share different meanings. For example Bullet button (BP) British Petroleum (BP) Blind People (BP) Technically, if they wanted to reach a vast audience on a forum such as this they should type it as such just as they do in Standard Operating Procedures(SOP)..so this way everyone can understand what is being said. After all this is a friendly recreational forum, not a mission brief. Make Sense? (MS)

jonc
11-13-2012, 7:47 AM
welcome!!!!!!!!!

fighterpilot562
11-13-2012, 9:08 AM
Welcome

ke6guj
11-13-2012, 4:30 PM
Old school military and law enforcement types love using acronyms. I dont.

acronyms are usually forum/hobby/industry-specific. it isn't just .mil and LE-types that use them, all types of people use them. I see them on fish tank forums, on R/C car forums all the time.

It only takes a fraction of a second or two to type the whole word out. My rational is because too many acronyms are alike but share different meaning[/B]s. For example Bullet button (BP) British Petroleum (BP) Blind People (BP) Technically, if they wanted to reach a vast audience on a forum such as this they should type it as such just as they do in Standard Operating Procedures(SOP)..so this way everyone can understand what is being said. After all this is a friendly recreational forum, not a mission brief. Make Sense? (MS)

no, it doesn't make sense. I am not going to type out Registered Assault Weapon (RAW), National Firearms Act (NFA), Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), Any Other Weapon (AOW), Special Occupational Taxypayer (SOT), etc, every time I need to mention those items. I am going to use the acronym instead. Those are commonly known acronyms in the firearms world. We even have a thread that list most of them.

xXx Sir Sik xXx
11-13-2012, 4:47 PM
Welcome

JeremyKX
11-13-2012, 5:25 PM
Welcome. Sometimes they are "ad-lib". ITBL is "in before the bolt lock". Rifle reference. After the bolt lock (thread deleted), there ain't no more posting.

Some will make up IBFP = "in before fighter pilot". Fighter Pilot is famous for his post count. So many posts in such a short time.

It's IBTL, not ITBL, and it's just "in before the lock". not bolt lock

GMG
11-13-2012, 5:50 PM
Welcome aboard !

bsg
11-13-2012, 6:04 PM
welcome to the forum.

zod
11-13-2012, 6:36 PM
Welcome aboard.

full.monte
11-14-2012, 3:05 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. The Acronym thread is already a help. I've been wondering about what an OLL is for two weeks now.

BlackTydeTactical
11-14-2012, 6:57 PM
Welcome aboard!

h0use
11-15-2012, 8:58 AM
Welcome