PDA

View Full Version : Does my AR lower need a BB if I am running a .22LR Upper?

Mossy Man
11-12-2012, 6:50 PM
what about with just a drop-in conversion kit like a CMMG?

G-forceJunkie
11-12-2012, 9:01 PM
Dedicated .22lr= no. Conversion kit...grey area. Technically, it cannot fire .223 with a conversion kit in there, but one could argue is it still a centerfire upper. Its just broken or dissasembled, but still a centerfire.

stix213
11-13-2012, 2:57 AM
In another thread Mr Bwiese has advised against running an AR with a CMMG conversion where if a centerfire bolt was inserted it would be an illegal AW. If you remove the conversion kit, even to just lube it, you could accidentally manufacture a "broken" illegal AW, a potential felony. I think he had more reasoning in his post as well.

NorCalDustin
11-13-2012, 7:11 AM
In another thread Mr Bwiese has advised against running an AR with a CMMG conversion where if a centerfire bolt was inserted it would be an illegal AW. If you remove the conversion kit, even to just lube it, you could accidentally manufacture a "broken" illegal AW, a potential felony. I think he had more reasoning in his post as well.Right...

JackRydden224
11-13-2012, 8:09 AM
I think it comes down to this single question, does a conversion kit turn your center fire AR into a rimfire weapon?

pennys dad
11-13-2012, 8:47 AM
I would suggest that a conversion kit does not turn your centerfire into a rimfire and instead exposes you. You can argue the 1/7 or 8 or 9 or 10 twist is ok for rimfire, but the more notable "true rimfire" rifles (10/22, 795, CMMG 22lr Upper) are all 1/16 or close (S&W 15-22 and Colt/Umerex I think are 1/15 3/4 - but they are dedicated rimfire). All a conversion kit does it give your centerfire the option to change a caliber and in this case it just so happens to be a 22lr caliber.

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq46/jacobrascon/11-13-20129-40-27AM.jpg

LMTluvr
11-13-2012, 9:15 AM
This question should qualify for a sticky , no?

Dakine_surf
11-13-2012, 9:49 AM
I have a 10/22 with a 1/9 twist it was made to spin the heavy 60 grain aguilla SSS rounds ... I cant see twist having anything to do with it.

pennys dad
11-13-2012, 9:57 AM
Ok, then removing twist rate as a qualifier, still following flowchart "is the rifle chambered in the rimfire cartridge", so is the centerfire rifle chambered in a rimfire cartridge.

very cool btw, I didnt know ruger made a 10/22 specific for a 60 grn bullet.

ojisan
11-13-2012, 10:28 AM
^ 1-9 twist is a aftermarket barrel, Ruger does not make these.

I'll go with B.Wiese's answer.
Safest by far is to use a dedicated .22LR upper to beat the bullet button.
An installed .22LR conversion kit is not enough, unless permanently installed (welded in place).
Remember that your confiscated gun may go to the LE gun inspectors who find out if it is full auto or otherwise illegal...and they might try to make the gun illegal even if it is not. Don't make it easy on them to make it hard on you.

pennys dad
11-13-2012, 10:41 AM
I agree, and it is what I was leading to. If you ever have to stand before a judge and explain, I would rather have very clear distinctive 22lr points to fall back on and not something to leaves room for opinion.

^ 1-9 twist is a aftermarket barrel, Ruger does not make these.

I'll go with B.Wiese's answer.
Safest by far is to use a dedicated .22LR upper to beat the bullet button.
An installed .22LR conversion kit is not enough, unless permanently installed (welded in place).
Remember that your confiscated gun may go to the LE gun inspectors who find out if it is full auto or otherwise illegal...and they might try to make the gun illegal even if it is not. Don't make it easy on them to make it hard on you.

Dakine_surf
11-13-2012, 3:01 PM
I agree, and it is what I was leading to. If you ever have to stand before a judge and explain, I would rather have very clear distinctive 22lr points to fall back on and not something to leaves room for opinion.

Yeah that's why I run a radlock on my lower that i use with a .22 upper, even though it is a dedicated upper and lower has never seen duty on a .223... While transporting the rifle, I turn it to the locked position... when I get to the range I turn it to unlocked... simple, effective and if I were to get questioned or pulled over it shouldn't raise any questions.

Oh yeah the 1/9 isn't a ruger part... I think mine was made by green mountain, it is super heavy and 20" but really effective with those Aguilla SSS rounds.

Tjfearl
11-13-2012, 3:06 PM
Just to avoid the trouble I built up an 80% with a CMMG dedicated 1/16 twist barrel with no bullet button. No worries

NorCalDustin
11-13-2012, 3:45 PM
Ok, then removing twist rate as a qualifier, still following flowchart "is the rifle chambered in the rimfire cartridge", so is the centerfire rifle chambered in a rimfire cartridge.

very cool btw, I didnt know ruger made a 10/22 specific for a 60 grn bullet.
Well... With the conversion bolts, they "change" the camber by adding the barrel/bolt collar...

Though, generally... I more or less agree with you. Its just an area that hasn't really been explored yet, and no real determination has been made as to if the rifle is then a rimfire with the kit installed.

Personally, I'd rather run a dedicated. Theres no risk, its clear what it is, a LEO cant convert it back to a centerfire without time & tools, and I can never accidentally manufacture an AW.