PDA

View Full Version : Frankenstein's Monster Garand Project

Paratus et Vigilans
07-25-2007, 9:28 AM
Okay, all you M1 Garand folks who are purists and would never do anything with a Garand other than restore it to its original glory, please turn your heads and don't read any further . . . you won't like this thread!

As for the rest of you . . . I have a question, but first a little background:

I impulse-bought a 7.62mm DGR re-barreled HRA Garand recevier (otherwise stripped) from Bongos last year, and have been trying ever since to decide what to do with it. I was, at first, thinking of building it into an NRA High Power service rifle, but I have since come to the conclusion that I would spend my time better and more wisely by working on improving my shooting skills with my WOA/Stag AR-15 service rifle rather than trying to learn to shoot the Garand in high power matches as well.

So, I recently saw that Midway USA had Ramline synthetic stocks for Garands on sale for $50, and that gave me the idea to build it up as a tactical/sniper rifle. I picked up all the rest of the "innards" for it at the last Del Mar Crossroads show, and ordered the stock from Midway USA, as well as a B Square scope mount and a Leatherwood M-1200 scope. I picked up a pivoting bi-pod and a swivel stud to mount it on from Turners last Sunday, and now I'm just waiting on a Smith muzzle brake from Fulton Armory and it will be done.

Here's my question - - any of you out there have any experience with sighting in an offset mounted scope? When mounted to the B Square mount, the center of the scope tube is offset 1.5" to the left of the bore of the barrel. Geometry being what it is, when the scope is zeroed, the POI and POA along the horizontal plane are only going to intersect at one given distance, and for shorter or longer distances it's going to take either clicks of adjustment or using the mil dots to hold left or right of the desired POI. What do you think would be the best distance at which to zero the scope on the horizontal plane? The scope's built in BDC mechanism calls for zeroing the scope for bullet drop at 300 meters, so I suppose I could set the horizontal zero at 300 meters as well, but since this rifle ought to be good out to 1000 meters, I'm wondering whether it might make more sense to set the horizontal zero further out, maybe around 600 meters.

Ideas, anyone? I mean, ideas other than "Don't do it in the first place!" :)

Thanks, gang!

rksimple
07-25-2007, 9:43 AM
Have you thought about something like this? This is from Fulton Armory.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/rksimple/M1Rail-300.jpg

Would work for a scout-type setup with a LER scope. At least that way you wouldn't have the geometry problems involved with a side mounted scope.

Paratus et Vigilans
07-25-2007, 9:49 AM
Yeah, I've considered using a scout scope mount with a LER scope, but the LER scope options are so limited I thought I'd give the side-mount a try first. If it proves too unwieldy, though, that's where I'm headed with this project, and I'll chalk the B Square mount up to experience and put the Leatherwood M-1200 to use on the POF .308 AR-10 build I'm working on - - picking up my POF lower for that tomorrow! :D

rksimple
07-25-2007, 9:57 AM
Yeah, I've considered using a scout scope mount with a LER scope, but the LER scope options are so limited I thought I'd give the side-mount a try first. If it proves too unwieldy, though, that's where I'm headed with this project, and I'll chalk the B Square mount up to experience and put the Leatherwood M-1200 to use on the POF .308 AR-10 build I'm working on - - picking up my POF lower for that tomorrow! :D

POF 308?...man I'm jealous. I want to see pics when its done!:D

For the Garand, I guess if you're shooting at known distances, you could get the dope you need for adjusting a side mounted scope. It would take some practice, but hey, plenty of guys did it on the M1C's and D's. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Paratus et Vigilans
07-25-2007, 10:05 AM
POF 308?...man I'm jealous. I want to see pics when its done!:D

For the Garand, I guess if you're shooting at known distances, you could get the dope you need for adjusting a side mounted scope. It would take some practice, but hey, plenty of guys did it on the M1C's and D's. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Yeah, the POF .308 is going to be something! I'll put up the pics when I get it done. BRD in advanced stages leads to EBR's in larger calibers! :D

I don't know how the Garand thing is going to work out, but it's fun to try something different! Thanks for the input!

Paratus et Vigilans
08-03-2007, 5:22 PM
Well, here it is - - haven't had it to the range yet to give her a spin - - not sure if I like it or not - - what do y'all think?

Is this too much of a insult to the mighty Garand, or just something fun to drill holes with at long range?

I think I'm going to call it an M1E Garand (following the M1C and M1D sniper versions of the Garand, and "E" for Evil Black Garand :D)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x56/jmingram_md62/M1Garand308Sniper03.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x56/jmingram_md62/M1Garand308Sniper02.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x56/jmingram_md62/M1Garand308Sniper01.jpg

KUJO
08-03-2007, 5:44 PM
Very nice. I like the look of it. I just have one ? about it. Can you still use the Garand clips. The ones that load through the top, or do you have to load it one by one? Once again great looking rifle, I think it is fun to rebuild older rifle with new parts, in a way they normally wont look. Good job

Paratus et Vigilans
08-03-2007, 5:59 PM
Very nice. I like the look of it. I just have one ? about it. Can you still use the Garand clips. The ones that load through the top, or do you have to load it one by one? Once again great looking rifle, I think it is fun to rebuild older rifle with new parts, in a way they normally wont look. Good job

Thanks!

Yeah, it loads with the eight round en bloc clips just like a regular Garand does. You have to take the cover off the windage turret on the scope for them to have a completely clear pathway into and out of the receiver, but you'd have the cover off anyway to access the windage turret when in use, so that's not a big deal.

I'm looking forward to shooting it to see what it'll do. I'll post a range report afterwards . . .

supersonic
08-03-2007, 6:04 PM
where'd you get that stock???????
S.S.:43:

dfletcher
08-03-2007, 6:08 PM
I have a 1943 Springfield M1 that was converted to 7.62 - great little rifle. I almost always use a Merit peep & globe front, but for once in a while use I did buy an S & K M1 mount after trying the BSquare & not liking it. Used an old steel tubed Weaver & rings for a bit of a period look.

I shoot left handed and don't really have any problem dealing with the offset.

Couple of suggestions.

First, sight in at 25 yards if you're winging it or doing any sort of visual bore sighting. It saves time, ammo & the RSO won't come to your bench and tell you that all that swearing is bothering the other shooters.

Second, you'll have to rotate your scope turrets to the left so you can use your en bloc clip. Then remember - right is up, left is down/up is left, down is right.

And don't forget what I said about the swearing ..... :taz:

Paratus et Vigilans
08-03-2007, 6:11 PM
where'd you get that stock???????
S.S.:43:

Midway USA. It's a RamLine synthetic. They had them on sale for $50 a couple of weeks ago. That's what got me started on this in the first place. This .308/7.62mm barreled M1 Garand receiver was going to be for a NM high power rifle build, but I decided that I'd probably never get serious about shooting a Garand in high power matches, so it's been gathering dust in the back of my safe . . until the stocks went on sale . . . :D

I'm also toying with the idea of dropping in into one of those Sage Industries stocks at some point in time. But first I want to see how this build goes!

Paratus et Vigilans
08-03-2007, 6:20 PM
I have a 1943 Springfield M1 that was converted to 7.62 - great little rifle. I almost always use a Merit peep & globe front, but for once in a while use I did buy an S & K M1 mount after trying the BSquare & not liking it. Used an old steel tubed Weaver & rings for a bit of a period look.

I shoot left handed and don't really have any problem dealing with the offset.

Couple of suggestions.

First, sight in at 25 yards if you're winging it or doing any sort of visual bore sighting. It saves time, ammo & the RSO won't come to your bench and tell you that all that swearing is bothering the other shooters.

Second, you'll have to rotate your scope turrets to the left so you can use your en bloc clip. Then remember - right is up, left is down/up is left, down is right.

And don't forget what I said about the swearing ..... :taz:

I'm a lefty shooter too, and feel the same way about the left offset - no big deal.

I used a laser bore sighter to get the scope set for 100 yards, so I'll at least be on the paper when I set out to zero it with live fire.

As for rotating the scope turrets, I can't do it with this scope. It's a Leatherwood M-1200, and it employs a mechanical cam mechanism to calculate and compensate for bullet drop and it has to stay fixed in its rings to do that. It comes in the mount you see in the pics already in the rings, which are set in a proprietary carriage that attaches with hand-tightening knobs to a Weaver rail. I mounted it far enough forward on the Weaver rail for the empty clips to clear the windage turret.

As for the swearing - - I'll try to do that under my breath! :D

Thanks for the tips!