PDA

View Full Version : Parallax Adjustment

Lexington-1
11-11-2012, 5:25 PM
Gents

I've seen some scope for rimfire rifle that have Parallax Adjustment dials that can go as close as 10 ft. Have any of you used such scope and if so do you find them beneficial for shooting targets at 100 yards or less?

Thanks

Anti-Hero
11-11-2012, 5:29 PM
At 100 yards or less parallax isn't really an issue, unless you have REALLY bad glass.

Izzy43
11-11-2012, 6:08 PM
Gents

I've seen some scope for rimfire rifle that have Parallax Adjustment dials that can go as close as 10 ft. Have any of you used such scope and if so do you find them beneficial for shooting targets at 100 yards or less?

Thanks

Depends on what accuracy you need. If you are hunting the Adjustable Objective (adjusts parallax) is really not that beneficial as +/- 1/2" is probably good enough. If you are shooting for precision, 5 shot 1/2" groups at 50yds, then the AO is actually a must. For example a scope that is parallax free @ 50yds will have some parallax errors at longer or shorter ranges but will still get that squirrel but won't shoot small groups.

A scope with an AO will allow you to focus on the target at different ranges while a fixed parallax scope will not.

Lexington-1
11-11-2012, 6:25 PM
I was looking at putting this on a 10/22 takedown but I think a 44mm is a bit too big.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-accushot-3-12x44mm-illumination-enhancing-mil-dot-rifle-s.html

Another scope I was looking at was this
http://www.fire-field.com/content/1-6x24-1st-focal-plane-illuminated-riflescope-ff13022

I'm planning on using it for pest control but you never know when you want that fine shot.

Lexington-1
11-11-2012, 8:44 PM
Thanks Izzy43. Good info for making a decision. I think I'll get a scope with one.

ar15barrels
11-11-2012, 8:53 PM
Parallax error at the distance you are shooting at directly adds to group size.

So, if you have 3/4 moa of parallax error, your gun is capable of 1 moa and a shooter capable of 1/2 moa, you can expect 2 1/4 moa groups.
All factors add together...
So reduce the ones that you can as much as possible!
Dial that parallax in perfectly.
Don't expect the markings on the parallax adjustment to be accurate.

Read my stickied "how to use your scope" thread in the ca precision rifles subforum for full details on parallax and correcting for it...

Lexington-1
11-12-2012, 7:15 AM
Thanks for this info AR15. I never thought of adding the shooter into the Mao equation. I'll take a look at your other post.