PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Ruger Mark III Competition

SmallShark
11-11-2012, 3:12 AM
I just bought a Ruger Mark III Competition, my first pistol with adjustable rear sight.

my question is, do i have to adjust it myself before i shoot it?

evolution1974
11-11-2012, 7:25 AM
Congrats on the purchase. The Ruger MK III pistols are great guns. Please see the link for some basic info on sight adjustment. With a pistol you would normally sight it in at the range. You will have to shoot at the target to see where your groups are hitting and go from there. If you are new to shooting pistols then I would just shoot it for a while before making any adjustments.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_sight#section_4

The general rule is the rear sight is moved in the SAME direction you wish to move the point of impact. For example, if the point of impact is LEFT and BELOW the target, and you wish to move the point of impact to the center, then move the rear sight RIGHT and UP. The front sight moves the opposite direction, so it would move LEFT and DOWN.

Detailed instructions for adjusting the sights:

To move the line of sight DOWN (the shot hit BELOW the point of aim) the REAR sight is RAISED or the FRONT sight is LOWERED.

To move the line of sight UP (the shot hit ABOVE the point of aim) the REAR sight is LOWERED or the FRONT sight is RAISED.

To move the line of sight LEFT (the shot hit LEFT of the point of aim) the REAR sight is moved RIGHT, or the FRONT sight is moved LEFT.

To move the line of sight RIGHT (the shot hit RIGHT of the point of aim) the REAR sight is moved LEFT, or the FRONT sight is moved RIGHT.

Bigtwin
11-11-2012, 3:32 PM
I just bought a Ruger Mark III Competition, my first pistol with adjustable rear sight.

my question is, do i have to adjust it myself before i shoot it?

No, do not adjust until you shoot it quite a bit, like evolution said!
My target model MkIII 22/45 was dead on from the factory. I am not 100% certian but have been told many times the factory gets the sights realy close(or dead on) by either shooting or a bore sight. I have never had to move the sites on any new pistol I have purchased.

SmallShark
11-12-2012, 2:49 AM
Thanks guys. I bought 500 CCI blazer at the gun show yesterday, will shoot them all.