PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 barrel threaded VS factory mounting

fourtraxmc
11-10-2012, 5:31 PM
I was looking at 10/22 barrels and receivers today. I was looking at tactical Inc. receiver and they recommend a threaded barrel. Is one much better than the other for a run of the mill plinker with upgraded barrel and stock? I did try to search and not much came up.

noob_tube
11-10-2012, 6:07 PM
A threaded barrel will allow you to attach a muzzle brake or compensator. Not really needed for .22lr. For run-of-the-mill plinking, the factory barrel will be more than enough and is plenty accurate.

fourtraxmc
11-10-2012, 7:08 PM
Sorry probably wasn't clear enough. The barrel being threaded where it goes into the receiver rather than the dove tail w/clamp set-up to retain the barrel.

noob_tube
11-11-2012, 5:59 AM
Hmmm, I don't think I've ever seen one of those. I'll have to look into it

50BMGBOB
11-11-2012, 10:52 AM
The ideal is for better bedding and the only one I have ever seen in person shot well. I have seen many more that shoot just as good with the standard wegde. I won't say I would rule out the treading if I where going to buy an aftermarket receiver for a custom build, but I don't think that it is a must have either. I won't do it to a standard Ruger receiver and no way for just a plinker.

couch
11-12-2012, 10:18 AM
The TakeDown setup is also another way to attach without the dovetail. Even if the TD feature isn't something you're interested in, some say it improves accuracy.

BSlacker
11-12-2012, 4:22 PM
Threading the receiver is to eliminate droop and tighten up the fit. It is good but you may limit your range of barrel suppliers and cost will be higher than normal V-Block barrels due to the extra work. A good snug fit is all that is required for most uses. :)

Peter.Steele
11-12-2012, 5:26 PM
Your V-block barrels can't be R&R'd without changing point of impact for a scope ... torque on those allen screws matters a LOT. There's a reason that Ruger factory barrels have both front and rear sights mounted on the barrel.

fourtraxmc
11-13-2012, 3:20 PM
Thanks for the input. Standard barrel mounting it is.