View Full Version : m&p 15-25-222 failure to feed!

11-10-2012, 3:45 PM
How the mighty have fallen!

After probably circa 8k trouble free rounds my 15-22 is acting up.

Two range trips ago is when I first noticed the problem.

When attempting to load a fresh mag while using the bolt release the round would only make it about half way out of the mag. The bullet itself would end up slightly bent in an upward direction from the case. In addition there was a scraped portion in a straight line on the bottom of the cartridge starting about half way up the case and ending about 1/4 up the bullet itself.

However, when I started with the bolt closed and used the charging handle to load everything worked fine and cycled accordingly etc etc

So I take her home, give her a proper cleaning and relube. After inspection I see nothing wrong.

So I take the gun out again, and it functions flawlessly in all regards.

Then yesterday not only did it start again, but same failure to feed even if I am using the charging handle.!

I isolate the three mags I own just to make sure it isnt related to one of them, and the issue was repeatable on all three (unless all 3 mags are bad??) outside of that no other new variables I could think of (same ammo I almost always use).

Im going to drop s&w a line first thing on monday, but Im wondering if any of you good folks here have any insight?

11-10-2012, 4:30 PM
Ours is close or at 10K and no probs.

Do you leave your mags loaded all the time?

Makes me wonder if the springs are weak in those?

Fwiw, we leave ours unloaded between use as the .22 isn't the 'go-to' rifle in the safe.

Haven't been following this board or the S&W site too closely, first time I've read about your issue. Hope it gets worked out ok. :)

11-10-2012, 4:33 PM
try mags or switch to CCI..

11-10-2012, 4:51 PM
I never leave my mags loaded and 90% of the time use CCI ammo!

I read about a similar issue, but apparently there was some something inherently wrong with the chamber of the gun from the factory.

I tend not to think this is the case with mine since it is a recent problem.

11-11-2012, 7:58 AM
I'm wonderring if it might be time for a recoil spring change.

11-11-2012, 2:48 PM
Worn spring crossed my mind, but I would think that the issue would show up when cycling from firing, but it does not.

11-13-2012, 12:51 AM
Went to the range today and I'm experiencing the same failure to feed issues. My MP15 22 has only 2-3k rounds max. Really puzzled what it could be. May go back to the range and try some cci rounds.