PDA

View Full Version : Pretty cool range session today

psriley
07-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Started to see some accuracy potential from my newly-cobbled-together AR today. I put together some heavier 69 gr SMK rounds over the weekend and had at it today. This was my best 5-round group at 100 yds

http://www.benstreet.com/carbine/group1b.jpg

Probably isn't going to land me a gig with Special Forces, but I'm pretty happy with it. I think if I had a slightly longer optic and a higher-contrast target I could maybe do a little better even.

Here's the gun. I posted pics of it before, but have since changed the FF tube and added a cheapo bipod.

http://www.benstreet.com/carbine/carbine5B.jpg

Acog is a 4x. Barrel is a 16" 1/7 White Oak mid-length drilled.

Cheers!

aplinker
07-24-2007, 1:53 AM
I think if I had a slightly longer optic and a higher-contrast target I could maybe do a little better even.

Just a suggestion, but something I found helps my precision shooting when I'm not using highly magnified scopes or shooting with irons. Don't focus on minutiae, but rather put the cross hairs or scope in the precise same location using overall shape. When I first started I kept trying to align the teeny tiny to the teeny tiny. I found I did infinitely better when I focused instead on putting, for example, the cross hairs squared with a target circle.

Looks like a PRS, YHM ultralight FF, SS 16" barrel. Your mag cries out for a ranger floor plate. ;) You have a pretty rifle and you're havin fun. What else could you ask for?

jumbopanda
07-24-2007, 2:00 AM
Something about the Magpul stock and PSG-1 style grip just looks so awesome. I think a larger scope would look more at home, but otherwise that rifle looks great.

xenophobe
07-24-2007, 8:37 AM
I think anyone would agree, that's a very respectable group for a 4x ACOG.

PistolPete75
07-24-2007, 9:21 AM
yes good grouping for a 4x acog.

hybridatsun350
07-24-2007, 9:25 AM
Looks like a good group to me! Lets just say I wouldn't be complaining. Especially if I was shooting a rifle as bada*s as yours! Oh, and I like the lefty upper. Good stuff. :)

ar15barrels
07-24-2007, 9:47 AM
Everyone always shows their best group, but what really matters is your average groups.
How big are those?

psriley
07-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Just a suggestion, but something I found helps my precision shooting when I'm not using highly magnified scopes or shooting with irons. Don't focus on minutiae, but rather put the cross hairs or scope in the precise same location using overall shape. When I first started I kept trying to align the teeny tiny to the teeny tiny. I found I did infinitely better when I focused instead on putting, for example, the cross hairs squared with a target circle.

Looks like a PRS, YHM ultralight FF, SS 16" barrel. Your mag cries out for a ranger floor plate. ;) You have a pretty rifle and you're havin fun. What else could you ask for?

Yep, you nailed it. I've been thinking about those floorplates, too.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try next time I'm out. I'm enjoying the challenge of longer-range shooting with a low-mag optic. I'll may actually get a set of irons for it too. At some point I'll probably bump the scope up to a 10x or maybe a little higher. With handguns, I've always followed the old adage "aim small, miss small", and that seems to help me improve. Maybe be the same will be true for long guns.

Cheers!

psriley
07-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks all for the kind remarks!

Randall - most of the 5-shot groups are comparable, but a little more dispersed. They'd all fit in the inner ring if they were centered. I think the rifle can probably do much better...it's the shooter I need to work on now. :D

Cheers!

ar15barrels
07-24-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm enjoying the challenge of longer-range shooting with a low-mag optic.

I reliably hit LaRue sniper targets out to 400yds with my TA01NSN ACOG.
Having something to rest on is a HUGE help.