PDA

View Full Version : To OLL or not?

Elbowtko
07-23-2007, 10:57 PM
I don't know weither or not to get a OLL or not.

Has anyone gotta a letter that says its alright to get a saiga, similar to the letters that said it was alright to get a OLL AR/AK?

These problems are honestly the reason why I sort of on the edge between a SU-16 or a Saiga .223...

Im going to the gun show at the cow palace in August hopefully I will be able to find some saigas there. If not, im going with a Keltec just because I dont want to be hassled by some sheepie who thinks I got an illegal assault weapon. Im also a bit scared of having a gun that would most likley get banned in the near future as well. I heard registration of assault weapons can get them confiscated like the ones during Katrina.

opinions please...

hoozaru
07-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Just do some research on how many OLLs ve been sold in California in the last two years.

Hoop
07-23-2007, 11:17 PM
I think the forum consensus is to build an AR clone.

Lateralus
07-23-2007, 11:55 PM
this will be a pretty one sided thread....

socalguns
07-23-2007, 11:59 PM
no, the consensus is buy, borrow, and buy some more, one two or ten of each

kap
07-24-2007, 12:04 AM
If not, im going with a Keltec

Please view Exhibit A before proceeding with said action.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=54284

Stormfeather
07-24-2007, 12:07 AM
I heard registration of assault weapons can get them confiscated like the ones during Katrina.

opinions please...

Registration of assualt weapons did NOT lead to confiscation during Katrina. What happened there was Ray Nagin decided that it would be best for only law enforcement agencies and the private contractors working with Law Enforcement to have weapons due to the proliferation of assualt weapons in that area. Actual assualt weapons are illegal to be sold in the actual city limits of new orleans. But the various parish's there are allowed to have them. Thats where the problem with confiscation came in. That and it was pretty much the wild west down there with all the looting and killing going on. Reminded me of the Rodney King Riots, just add alot more water.

aplinker
07-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Reminded me of the Rodney King Riots, just add alot more water.

Kinda like Waterworld instead of Mad Max... aka "The Rowed Warrior" vs. "The Road Warrior"

simonov
07-24-2007, 6:45 AM
I think the forum consensus is to build an AR clone.

I say buy a Chinese SKS and customize it.

The SU-16 is crap, but so are the Saigas to some degree. They are made to commercial specifications and are very, very cheaply constructed. The plastic stocks, for example, are junk. I don't yet know how accurate my new 7.62x39mm Saiga is, since I haven't attempted to zero the sights, but the trigger is the worst I have ever used. That can be fixed, of course, but still . . .

I have a couple of off-list lowers, one of which I have built up into an A1/A2 (I have two uppers) with a bullet button. As I tell my shooting partners, I know the rifle is legal but that doesn't mean I can't be arrested for it.

I'll never be arrested for shooting or transporting an SKS, and the SKS is a better-made rifle than the SU-16 or the Saiga or even the Mini-14/30. I wouldn't cut up a Yugo, since it's a military issue rifle with some history, but I reckon Norincos, being commercial products, are fair game. I will DROS three of them this afternoon and will have a good time customizing them and shooting them.

jp.cherokee
07-24-2007, 6:46 AM
I don't know weither or not to get a OLL or not.

Has anyone gotta a letter that says its alright to get a saiga, similar to the letters that said it was alright to get a OLL AR/AK?

These problems are honestly the reason why I sort of on the edge between a SU-16 or a Saiga .223...

Im going to the gun show at the cow palace in August hopefully I will be able to find some saigas there. If not, im going with a Keltec just because I dont want to be hassled by some sheepie who thinks I got an illegal assault weapon. Im also a bit scared of having a gun that would most likley get banned in the near future as well. I heard registration of assault weapons can get them confiscated like the ones during Katrina.

opinions please...

Hurry, there are only TWO WEEKS LEFT...;)

PIRATE14
07-24-2007, 7:10 AM
I say buy a Chinese SKS and customize it.

The SU-16 is crap, but so are the Saigas to some degree. They are made to commercial specifications and are very, very cheaply constructed. The plastic stocks, for example, are junk. I don't yet know how accurate my new 7.62x39mm Saiga is, since I haven't attempted to zero the sights, but the trigger is the worst I have ever used. That can be fixed, of course, but still . . .

I have a couple of off-list lowers, one of which I have built up into an A1/A2 (I have two uppers) with a bullet button. As I tell my shooting partners, I know the rifle is legal but that doesn't mean I can't be arrested for it.

I'll never be arrested for shooting or transporting an SKS, and the SKS is a better-made rifle than the SU-16 or the Saiga or even the Mini-14/30. I wouldn't cut up a Yugo, since it's a military issue rifle with some history, but I reckon Norincos, being commercial products, are fair game. I will DROS three of them this afternoon and will have a good time customizing them and shooting them.

I've known of several cases where people w/ SKS were arrested......it's California......:eek:

simonov
07-24-2007, 7:26 AM
I've known of several cases where people w/ SKS were arrested......it's California......:eek:

Well, there goes that theory shot to hell.

mdhpper
07-24-2007, 8:17 AM
If your nervous and want to play it safe go for the SU-16. If you doubt the legality of your rifle, you might not shoot it as much as you would like to. Even though certain models of Saigas are legal, some LEO’s might not think so.

Personally I would choose Saiga.

ar15barrels
07-24-2007, 8:58 AM

"SKS with detatchable magazine"?
"SKS Sporter"?

proraptor
07-24-2007, 9:19 AM
If you arent going OLL Id also recommend a SKS....They are very nice guns....But my vote still goes OLL...

Elbowtko
07-24-2007, 4:55 PM
What disadvantages are there of registering a assault weapon? If I do decide to get a Saiga and it gets banned after I get one.

That blown up Keltec is crazy, but I done my fair share of research and there are quite a lot of people happy with their Keltecs have shot thousands of rounds through them without problems.

I have shouldered a Keltec and that thing does not seem too rugged, I may consider a Mini-14 if I decide not to go the OLL route.

PistolPete75
07-24-2007, 4:59 PM
everyone should do at least 1 oll build.

bwiese
07-24-2007, 5:24 PM
What disadvantages are there of registering a assault weapon?

You cannot have a firearm that is currently described as an assault weapon. Thus, it cannot be registered.

There will be no declaration of any new, existing legal firearm as an AW either by DOJ updating the Kasler list or by a 12276.5 court add-on petition: both these methods ended beginning this year with the adoption of AB2728.

If I do decide to get a Saiga and it gets banned after I get one.

It CANNOT be banned, the list is fixed now. RAAC Saigas are NOT listed Saigas.

Elbowtko
07-24-2007, 10:15 PM
I meant if there is new legislation such as a new federal assault weapons ban, or will that not happen in the near future?

oaklander
07-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Something also to consider is an off-list AK. Ammo is relatively inexpensive, and they are fun guns to shoot. If you go with a Monster Man Grip (MMG), you can use your legal pre-ban mags that you owned before the ban.

You can build one for about $300 or so, including everything.

There are also readymade AK's being sold in California (such as the WASR, and the AES10, among others). Prices range from about $350 and up.

I'm picking up one of these this weekend (after a 10 day wait). It won't have the pistol grip, but I'll be putting on a MMG. For about $500, I'll have a really fun rifle, and something you don't see at the range that often!!!

http://www.centuryarms.biz/images/Rifles/72l_RI1407-N%20Clipped.jpg

fireblast713
07-25-2007, 6:48 AM
How does one start even building a Oll or choosing parts?

Hoop
07-25-2007, 7:07 AM

Internet search + Beer ?

hoozaru
07-25-2007, 7:37 AM

AR15.com ???

and

+1 on Off list AKs.

Get an OLL AR or AK, just to piss off iggy and his welfare paycheck thugs.

ar15barrels
07-25-2007, 9:47 AM

If you are in the greater Los Angeles area, come see me.
I can show you a lot of different options.