PDA

View Full Version : .22 conversion kit onto a 5.56 upper semi-permanent ok???

speeedracerr
11-09-2012, 3:09 AM
Does anyone know if using a .22 conversion kit onto a 5.56 upper receiver and keeping it semi-permanent ok?

I already own a few AR's in 5.56, but have an extra .22 conversion kit and figured why not just buy another 5.56 upper to have a semi-dedicated rimfire upper until I decide to purchase another AR BCG down the road.

I figured this way I won't have to hassle switching BCG for the conversion kit everytime I go shoot.

Not sure, but is it really necessary to shoot a .223/5.56 round after using a conversion kit? Will shooting .22s really clog up the gas tubes that bad? Thanks for the feedback/advice :)

Losd619
11-09-2012, 3:18 AM
Does anyone know if using a .22 conversion kit onto a 5.56 upper receiver and keeping it semi-permanent ok?

I already own a few AR's in 5.56, but have an extra .22 conversion kit and figured why not just buy another 5.56 upper to have a semi-dedicated rimfire upper until I decide to purchase another AR BCG down the road.

I figured this way I won't have to hassle switching BCG for the conversion kit everytime I go shoot.

Not sure, but is it really necessary to shoot a .223/5.56 round after using a conversion kit? Will shooting .22s really clog up the gas tubes that bad? Thanks for the feedback/advice :)

The main problem from what I gather will be your accuracy. Higher twist rate barrels for 5.56/.223 are pretty inaccurate with a .22 conversion when compared to a dedicated 16 in twist barrel. Your gas tube can easily be cleaned out if you fire a few 5.56 rounds at the end of your range day to blast it out.

speeedracerr
11-09-2012, 3:44 AM
Yes I agree, I do realize that I am compromising accuracy with using a conversion kit, but considering the distance I shoot it's not as bad to 50 yards on a 1/9 twist.

I would purchase a dedicated .22 upper with a 1/16 twist, but I rather purchase another 5.56 upper for now so that I will have the flexibility to buy another BCG sometime down the road should I decide to have another functioning AR.

This is why I'm wondering if running a conversion kit on a 5.56 upper for the time being as my "semi-dedicated" .22 AR alright, since I won't be running a BCG afterwards.

I'll keep it clean after every range session, :) but probably wont shoot any .223/5.56 down the pipe thereafter. Just wondered if this would actually clog up my gas tube etc.

pisarski
11-09-2012, 5:58 AM
you would have to take the gas block and gas tube off and clean them before you use it as a .556 so have at it and have some cheap fun

redcliff
11-09-2012, 8:42 AM
Are you planning on running a bullet button on the lower? Is that why you're asking if it's "OK"?

I pesonally don't run .22lr conversion units on AR's that are not r.a.w.s or that do not have bullet buttons. That rifle is still chamberred for a non-rimfire cartridge. I may be paranoid and ymmv.

CSACANNONEER
11-09-2012, 9:12 AM
Are you planning on running a bullet button on the lower? Is that why you're asking if it's "OK"?

I pesonally don't run .22lr conversion units on AR's that are not r.a.w.s or that do not have bullet buttons. That rifle is still chamberred for a non-rimfire cartridge. I may be paranoid and ymmv.

While I like to push the envelope, if I had a conversion unit instead of dedicated rimfire uppers, I would err on the side of caution here too.

speeedracerr
11-09-2012, 1:48 PM

Actually I am planning on getting an AR Pistol Upper to be installed on a already completed 80% pistol lower so I will need a bullet button anyway after making it SSE.

I just wanted to know the long term effects of the .22 conversion kit on a 5.56 upper and if it would cause any problems down the road should I decide to change back to it's original configuration.

At this point with ammo prices, I'm not sure if I will convert it to 5.56 but do like the flexibility of the option if I should decide down the road.

Just wanted to utilize the conversion kit to install on it's own dedicated upper so that I won't have to always switch out bolts when I feel like firing .22s.

speeedracerr
11-25-2012, 7:53 PM
Anyone know??? I'm thinking of getting a pistol upper on Cyber Monday sale, thanks for the help in advance.

speeedracerr
11-25-2012, 8:32 PM
you would have to take the gas block and gas tube off and clean them before you use it as a .556 so have at it and have some cheap fun

I'm wondering... will this work since there will still be an opening at the barrel port where the gas block was originally installed and with the possibility of gasses escaping thru the handguard? Is that safe?