PDA

View Full Version : Legality of buying mags in other states?

toweshot
07-23-2007, 7:51 PM
I am a CA resident, however, I was wondering if it was legal to buy and posses high cap mags in other states if the mags were not brought into CA. Would a shop in Arizona legally be able to sell me high cap mags for an AR so i could shoot with a buddy who has a place there or should i just throw him some money and have him buy them? Thanks.

TS

boogak
07-23-2007, 7:55 PM
you normally cant with a cali id. but maybe

ghost
07-23-2007, 7:58 PM
to be on the safe side give him some money,have him buy the mags and leave the mags with him.

hoffmang
07-23-2007, 7:59 PM
There are no restrictions on your purchase of large capacity magazines as long as you do not import them into the State of California. Own all the magazines of any capacity you'd like outside of the State.

-Gene

DIG
07-23-2007, 8:06 PM
I am a CA resident, however, I was wondering if it was legal to buy and posses high cap mags in other states if the mags were not brought into CA. Would a shop in Arizona legally be able to sell me high cap mags for an AR so i could shoot with a buddy who has a place there or should i just throw him some money and have him buy them? Thanks.

TS

You can buy normal capacity mags in other states no problem. Just leave them at your friends place in Arizona and do not bring them into CA. That is ok and legal. There are (currently) no restrictions on normal capacity mags in that state so no worries. :gunsmilie:

leelaw
07-23-2007, 8:10 PM
There are no restrictions for you to buy full capacity magazines outside California, as long as they stay outside the state.

Buy at will!

blkA4alb
07-23-2007, 8:13 PM

You got carded to buy magazines? :rolleyes:

As the others have said, feel free to buy all the magazines that you would like out of state.

the_natterjack
07-23-2007, 8:16 PM

TS

The law only applies to what happens within California.

Outside of California you can buy, use, and store magazines with a higher capacity then what California allows. California law ends at California's borders.

A member here buys 30 rounds mags out of state. Dismantles them down to parts. Legally brings the parts into California. Modifies the parts so that when assembled they can only accept up to 10 rounds. Assembles the parts into complete magazines and sells them. NO laws are being broken.

Honestly, I see no reason why you couldn't bring magazine parts back into California for storage as long as those parts are NEVER EVER EVER assembled into a complete magazine with the borders of California. LOL, ask the DOJ for a letter on that one and see what they say!

five.five-six
07-23-2007, 8:22 PM
There are no restrictions on your purchase of large capacity magazines as long as you do not import them into the State of California. Own all the magazines of any capacity you'd like outside of the State.

-Gene

Of course, it is perfectly legal to disassemble them and bring the parts to California, just so long as they are never assembled as a high cap mag inside California

also do not mention that you are from california if buying in vegas... there are a bunch of arf.com cali haters working at a lot of the shops..caug hcitidale caugh caugh..centermass caugh caugh..american caugh caugh... just pay cash...

the A-fing-Mazing thing is that it has gotten so F-ing bad here in the PRK that many people would not be surprised, or actualy expect to have to show id to buy a magazine... I think we have lost :(

Crazed_SS
07-23-2007, 8:33 PM
You got carded to buy magazines? :rolleyes:

As the others have said, feel free to buy all the magazines that you would like out of state.

They card at some Vegas gun shops because they know Californians try to buy mags there to take back. I dont know why they care since they wont be the ones in trouble, but oh well.

pacificcoast
07-23-2007, 8:46 PM
They card at some Vegas gun shops because they know Californians try to buy mags there to take back. I dont know why they care since they wont be the ones in trouble, but oh well.

apparently the doj has intimidated many lv gun stores, spreading lies, fud, etc.

five.five-six
07-23-2007, 8:49 PM
no, they are just a bunch of arf.comers that have beach envey and hate californians.. go to a gun show they have them almost every week :)

hoffmang
07-23-2007, 8:59 PM

I was over simplifying as the edge cases get diverse quickly.

-Gene

Jicko
07-23-2007, 9:18 PM

Not true!

There is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT to show your ID when you are purchasing magazine.

Unregistered
07-23-2007, 9:23 PM
odifies the parts so that when assembled they can only accept up to 10 rounds. Assembles the parts into complete magazines and sells them. NO laws are being broken.

I'm going to modify a Beta C mag to only accept 10 rounds :eek:
LOL :p
j/k of course

boogak
07-23-2007, 9:31 PM
Not true!

There is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT to show your ID when you are purchasing magazine.

as mentioned, i tried buying from vegas and leave it with my relatives. they would not sell to me.

Jicko
07-23-2007, 10:47 PM
as mentioned, i tried buying from vegas and leave it with my relatives. they would not sell to me.

You just didn't go to the right guy. ;-)

There is NO LEGAL requirement to show your ID.

But then any merchant CAN, at their discretion, refuse to do business with you.

Some Vegas vendors are just, CA haters...... I bet, they won't even sell you AR parts... they are just CA-haters....

Personally, I would take my business somewhere else (and there ARE ones who welcome CA's business.... ), but then if you REALLY had to buy some, you can easily have your relatives buy them for you.

the_natterjack
07-24-2007, 6:23 AM
I'm going to modify a Beta C mag to only accept 10 rounds :eek:
LOL :p
j/k of course

Hey, thats the beauty of freedom. Do anything you want with your money. Just don't hurt anyone else in the process.

Of course some may want to 5150 you, but . . . .

simonov
07-24-2007, 6:33 AM

Since when do you have to provide ID to buy a magazine?

Magazines are not controlled items. They are easy to buy almost anywhere in the US, especially at gun shows, cash and carry. If you bring a magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds back into California, however, you are breaking California law. That should be easy to understand and of course is of no concern to the guy selling the magazines.

When I bought by M1 Carbine, it came with a couple of 15-round magazines. I was not able to legally keep them (I wasn't even supposed to take possession of them), so one weekend I went to a gun show in Phoenix and traded a guy two 10-round magazines for my 15-rounders. He was happy to oblige.

gunsnrovers
07-24-2007, 6:46 AM
Since when do you have to provide ID to buy a magazine?

Going to make an assumption (and that's a scary thing), but most places want to see ID/drivers license if you're paying with a credit card...

AJAX22
07-24-2007, 6:55 AM
pay cash, and if they ask for ID just tell them to go toady for the man elsewhere.

supersonic
07-24-2007, 10:48 AM
What about Reno stores? Same-Same?:confused:
S.S.:43:

dfletcher
07-24-2007, 1:32 PM
I go to Reno & OR often to shoot. There's nothing illegal with purchasing +10 mags for your shooting when there, some sellers for their own reasons prefer to not sell to CA residents.

Don't flip open your wallet & flash a CDL. Don't pull up in front of a little store in your BMW with CA license plate, hop out wearing huraches & a Giants shirt & talk to your pals about going to the beach or a game when you get back home.

My favorite - Don't ask "Do you sell to CA residents?".

Full Clip
07-24-2007, 2:18 PM

Yeah, I went to The Gun Store in LV a couple years ago to get some 10-rounders for an M1 carbine. No ID, no sale.
"Move to a free state," the guy at the counter said.
I left.
Whatever. :cuss:

arguy15
07-24-2007, 3:16 PM
If you do use a credit card out of state, a passport comes in handy.

five.five-six
07-24-2007, 3:25 PM

I was over simplifying as the edge cases get diverse quickly.

-Gene

I know that you have probably forgotten more about the law than I will ever know, I was just tetting my post count up.. and it burns me as I quote myself :) :

the A-fing-Mazing thing is that it has gotten so F-ing bad here in the PRK that many people would not be surprised, or actualy expect to have to show id to buy a magazine... I think we have lost

sammy
07-24-2007, 6:31 PM
We seem to be off topic so I will join in. Say I go to AZ to visit a friend. I buy 30 round AR magazines to bring back. Is their a kit, or extra long follower that I can buy to make the 30 round magazine a 10 rounder so it is CA. compliant??

Quiet
07-24-2007, 7:09 PM
We seem to be off topic so I will join in. Say I go to AZ to visit a friend. I buy 30 round AR magazines to bring back. Is their a kit, or extra long follower that I can buy to make the 30 round magazine a 10 rounder so it is CA. compliant??

In order to be CA legal 10 round magazine, you have to permanently modify the magazine to 10 rounds.

12276.1(d)(2)
"Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of acommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

only zeiss
08-02-2007, 10:36 AM
soo Bill W., if I previously owned a 1983 Colt Ar15, sold the rifle and kept my hi caps prior the banning... can I still use them on my current OLL project?

Jicko
08-02-2007, 10:41 AM
soo Bill W., if I previously owned a 1983 Colt Ar15, sold the rifle and kept my hi caps prior the banning... can I still use them on my current OLL project?

YES, but NOT in a "fixed mag OLL build".

Crazed_SS
08-02-2007, 10:47 AM
YES, but NOT in a "fixed mag OLL build".

Yup.. and keep in mind that an OLL equipped with a BB is a "fixed mag OLL build" .. Everyone seems to be using BB's as sort of a psuedo-detachable mag these days. Just keep in mind, popping a 30 round mag into a BB rifle = AW.

ljg17
08-02-2007, 2:07 PM
Yup.. and keep in mind that an OLL equipped with a BB is a "fixed mag OLL build" .. Everyone seems to be using BB's as sort of a psuedo-detachable mag these days. Just keep in mind, popping a 30 round mag into a BB rifle = AW.

Thanks for reminding me, I am getting soooooooo confused trying to learn all of these new ins and outs.

U2BassAce
08-02-2007, 2:40 PM
I have heard that the California officials have been known to stake out Vegas gun shows looking for California plates. They then find an excuse to stop them over the boarder. Maybe urban legend. But the source I heard this from is pretty reputable.

xxG3xx
08-02-2007, 3:21 PM
thats why if you decide to get mags at gun shows follow the rules take them apart be4 you hit the boarder

MicronuT
08-02-2007, 3:49 PM
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/5880/orwellfuturegm1qm3.jpg

mecam
08-02-2007, 4:13 PM
thats why if you decide to get mags at gun shows follow the rules take them apart be4 you hit the boarder

Now why is that legal? Can't the LEO ask you why you have a Hi-cap mag parts in your possession coming back to California?

Surveyor
08-02-2007, 4:31 PM
Now why is that legal? Can't the LEO ask you why you have a Hi-cap mag parts in your possession coming back to California?

It is legal only if the mag parts are for rebuilding the hi-caps that you currently have in Ca.

Back in '98 I bought an s-load of Orlite 30 rounders. After many years of use in a Kel-tec they have some broken feed lips, etc...

Fjold
08-02-2007, 4:36 PM

It's not against the law to have parts, just complete magazines.

I always hear about people who have been pulled over for buying magazines at Nevada gunshows but I've never seen it mentioned once in any newspaper or ever hear the name of a single person arrested for this.

Does anyone know any person's name who has been pulled over after buying magazines in Nevada and been arrested, cited, etc for it?

five.five-six
08-02-2007, 4:52 PM
err i am thinking of starting a mag repair business... J/K

Scope
08-02-2007, 6:23 PM

TS

Of course its legal, assuming the merchant will sell you them. There is no problem buying hi-caps as long as you leave them outside of CA. If it is someplace you might make frequent trips to, and if you are willing to pay the cash, you can rent a storage facility or a box at a bank and leave them there.

38aht
08-02-2007, 6:26 PM
I had some hi-cap mags back in the 80's. I left them at my moms house in Az. They are still there. can I bring them here to cali and use them on my MonsterMangripped no evil feature OLL AR-15?

Crazed_SS
08-02-2007, 6:31 PM
I had some hi-cap mags back in the 80's. I left them at my moms house in Az. They are still there. can I bring them here to cali and use them on my MonsterMangripped no evil feature OLL AR-15?

Yes.