PDA

View Full Version : New Member and soon-to-be resident

Jagged_552
11-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Hi all,
I am excited to be a part of this community. At the posting of this thread, I am preparing for a move to California from the mid-west, after accepting a job offer. I have a couple of questions/seeking clarification regarding transportation and the importation of my firearm.

1- I own a Glock 19 Gen 4, besides of having to get rid of my 15 rnd standard capacity mags to restricted capacity mags, I had heard that Gen 4 glocks were banned in California under the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale on the DOJ's website. I am assuming this list is not applicable to my situation as I don't plan to sell/get rid of my glock gen 4 anytime soon. Now after reading the following from the DOJ's website page for new residents: ["Handguns- Any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:
-Complete and submit a NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT form along with $19.00 to the Department of Justice. A separate report form and $19.00 fee is required for each handgun reported. NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT forms can be obtained from California Department of Motor Vehicles' offices, licensed firearms dealers, local police and sheriff's departments, the California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms at (916) 227-7527, and from the Online Forms Page at this site.

-Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California licensed firearms dealer or to another individual using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction.

or
Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California police or sheriff's department. Persons choosing this option should contact the law enforcement agency for instructions prior to transporting the handgun(s) to the agency.

Any person transporting handguns in California is required under California law to transport those handguns unloaded and in a locked container other than the glove compartment or utility compartment of a vehicle."]

I am assuming that it is ok for me to bring my glock gen 4 with me when I move, provided that: I do not bring my 15 rnd standard capacity magazines along. I do not have plans to sell, lease, give/gift the gun to anybody, and so it is for my personal use in recreation/home defense. In transporting the firearm, I have it unloaded in a locked container, in the trunk of my car.
If this is not the case please advise me on the best possible solution.
I greatly appreciate any help that can given to me in this matter, I am looking forward to my move and to being a member of this community. :D

onegtalon
11-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Welcome aboard!

The gen4 is ok to bring in. The roster is only for dealers selling new guns. The magazines can be brought into cal if they are disassembled as 'kits' (aka spare parts). You can fill out the new resident ownership paperwork with the Gen4 and you're GTG. If you decide to sell it via PPT the Gen4 is again ok.

snubbyfan
11-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Welcome from the panhandle of West Virginia.

Jagged_552
11-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the information and the welcome! Thats interesting that one can bring the standard mags in disassembled, I will be looking for threads/info on how I can do that. Thanks again!

SoCal Bob
11-08-2012, 3:31 PM
Howdy. A disassembled magazine is considered a parts kit. Folks who legally own standard capacity magazines are allowed to repair them, which is where the parts kits come in. The law states that you cannot manufacture or import a standard capacity magazine after a certain date.

1000stars
11-08-2012, 3:43 PM
Welcome.

This may be helpful.

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

bsg
11-08-2012, 4:17 PM
welcome to the forum.

GMG
11-08-2012, 4:57 PM
Welcome aboard and to CA. !

zod
11-08-2012, 6:38 PM
Welcome aboard.

MissionMTMan
11-08-2012, 7:18 PM
welcome

.22guy
11-08-2012, 7:37 PM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

fighterpilot562
11-08-2012, 8:29 PM
Welcome

socalpistolero
11-08-2012, 8:57 PM
welcome.

BlackTydeTactical
11-09-2012, 5:02 PM
Welcome aboard!

den888
11-10-2012, 8:28 AM
Welcome!

Intimid8tor
11-10-2012, 8:33 AM
Welcome to the board. It's a great resource.

I'll be the first one to say it. don't come. California is a wreck and with the Dems holding a Super Majority in Sacramento, it's bound to get worse.

Since I assume you will not take my advice, buy everything off roster you might want so you can bring it with you. You can get a lot of it here later, but some you can't get and those that you can will cost you more in California.

Intimid8tor
11-10-2012, 8:33 AM
Welcome to the board. It's a great resource.

I'll be the first one to say it. don't come. California is a wreck and with the Dems holding a Super Majority in Sacramento, it's bound to get worse.

Since I assume you will not take my advice, buy everything off roster you might want so you can bring it with you. You can get a lot of it here later, but some you can't get and those that you can will cost you more in California.