PDA

View Full Version : What is the best value in Rimfire bolt guns today?

TheDeej
11-07-2012, 9:54 PM
Like the title says.

I'm looking for my first bolt action. I was considering a small caliber centerfire, but I'm leaning more towards .22LR

What's the best value currently. Looking for something that's good that will last and would like to stay under $400.

or if I should just go .223 or similar. It wouldn't be my first bolt experience, just first one I own.

shortyforty
11-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Hey there Deej, if I were looking for a new bolt action rimfire i would probably take a good look at Ruger's offerings. In the past I would have said Marlin but there has been so much controversy on the quality of the new Marlin guns that they may not be up to your standards. Someone else could probably provide a recent example of modern Marlin guns. The only one I own is so old it doesn't have a serial number. However, it remains one of the most accurate rimfire rifles I've had to the pleasure of shooting. The funny thing about it is I got for free. My neighbor threw it in the trash because his brother threatened to commit suicide with it. It needed some work but I got'er fixed up thanks to a great old gunsmith who really knew his stuff and didn't gouge me on the repairs. I love that ol' gun. If you were to consider a used gun I would highly recommend an older, pre-QC problem Marlin bolt action. They are known for great accuracy and durability.

Jet Setter
11-07-2012, 10:33 PM
I hear the Savage models shoot real well. However, I suggest looking at some older rifles like the Remington 580 (single shot bolt) or the 582 (tube fed bolt). I hear these are very accurate and reliable. The ones I have fired are fantastic (580). I have a 582 but have yet to shoot it as I am in search of a new stock for it. Have yet to find one.

k1dude
11-08-2012, 12:34 AM
CZ, Savage, and Mossberg are probably your best .22 bets. Marlin has had some quality problems since they moved the factories. CZ and Savage seem to have a lot of fans.

Kelster1574
11-08-2012, 5:49 AM
If I was buying another .22lr / .17hmr it would be another Savage. If you move up to a centerfire then the Remingtons are a solid choice....although I have been waiting to get my hands on a Ruger American. Just my .02

CSACANNONEER
11-08-2012, 6:02 AM
The best deals are on pre owned guns. Hit up the local used racks and find something you like. If you're looking for a great shooter, I think there's still a Mossberg M44 or two in the classifieds here.

evolution1974
11-08-2012, 7:05 AM
When it comes to value based bolt action .22lr rifles, that are quality built and pleasing to the eye, I would look at Brno or CZ. In your price range you might find a used Brno Model 1 (no longer manufactured), a CZ 452 Trainer/Special, or if you are looking for a youth sized gun that can be used and carried easily by an adult, then a CZ 452 Scout would also work. Good luck with your choices.

Brno Model 1

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz6/evolution1974/BRNO%20Model%201%20Alans%20Armory/1294099563.jpg

CZ 452 Trainer/Special

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz6/evolution1974/CZ%20452%20Trainer%202/1280976286.jpg

CZ 452 Scout

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz6/evolution1974/CZ%20452%20Scout/1271642466.jpg

Some other CZ 452s in .22lr

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz6/evolution1974/CZ%20Family/1433272C-8787-486A-94BD-90227769CEB2-1131-000001160B43858A.jpg

Tank 57
11-08-2012, 3:33 PM
Personal opinion and nothing more.Savage and CZ are the best buys currently on the market.

Savages are priced lower.I feel the extra cost for the CZs are worth it.Also in Savage's favor-Made in USA.

Furncliff
11-08-2012, 4:26 PM
You said value....

CZ

For better quality/accuracy/value, you would have to spend a lot more. The only problem with them is they can be addictive. I don't know anyone who has just one.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8046/8123332181_dc8ac82984_c.jpg

CZ 452 Ultra Lux .22LR with Brno Match Sights.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7173/6590948653_602349e950_z.jpg

CZ 452 Varmint thumbhole.

Both of these were at or below $400

TheDeej
11-08-2012, 4:33 PM
Hows the aftermarket between the savages and CZ's?

The goal I have in mind (besides just having cheap fun plinking) is something as a good trainer to eventually get into long-range shooting out at Sac Valley. A platform that I can tinker and grow with would be ideal, but I'm also not silly enough to fix what isn't broke so to speak. I understand it will be a good while before I'm in the position of saying the rifle is holding me back.
Is there a good scope recommendation that doesn't break the bank? The nearest range only goes out to 100 yards and I sometimes shoot around 125 yards out at my buddies place with irons on my CMMG .22 upper.

evolution1974
11-08-2012, 6:51 PM
Here are links to some aftermarket stocks for the CZ 452. BTW the CZ 452 line of rifles are being replaced with the CZ 455 so buy a CZ 452 now or a CZ 455 later.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470194

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-for-CZ-s/156.htm

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470901

Decoy453
11-08-2012, 6:57 PM
I would say pick up a savage mark 2 tr. out of the box the gun is accurate and at 100 yds you can shot 3/4 moa with half way decent ammo. I am biased though since I own one. If you want to shoot a few rounds with it pm me.
They go for about 450 so they are a little more than your price range but worth the money.

Eldraque
11-08-2012, 7:14 PM
I love my Savage Mark II F with AccuTrigger. can be had for under $200.

OldShooter32
11-08-2012, 7:16 PM
.17 HMR Savage or Ruger M77

ThatFishGuy
11-08-2012, 7:48 PM
I recently got a Savage mark II-FVSR and love it. Its as accurate as I could possibly shoot (probably only held back by yours truly), and was inexpensive. I think I paid around $225, and it came factory with an EGW scope rail, fluted and threaded barrel, over-sized bolt knob, and of course the accutrigger. The trade off is that CZ rifles, at least from what I have seen, come with a much nicer finish from the factory with regards to stocks and sights. I havent shot one, but that seems to be the general consensus. Just depends what you like in a gun. My savage might be less traditional in its looks and slightly rougher in finish, but for about half the price of a CZ can shoot basically the same. That being said I would still like to own a CZ. :P

rkt88edmo
11-08-2012, 8:28 PM
Best value? I'd say grab any old (50yrs or older) .22lr that is functional for $100 or less and that value can't be beat.

Tank 57
11-08-2012, 9:28 PM
Old .22s are great.Wouldn't modify one though.

Added advantage to CZ455.I have 3 barrels .22LR,.22WMR,.17HMR.With Leupold scope and several extra magazines,I have spent about $1000.

JonJK
11-10-2012, 7:00 AM
Old .22s are great.Wouldn't modify one though.

Added advantage to CZ455.I have 3 barrels .22LR,.22WMR,.17HMR.With Leupold scope and several extra magazines,I have spent about $1000.

+1. Find it used and give it a better home then the pawn shop.

Out seem if 400 is your price range then the cz is for you. I love the easy their Scout rifle looks.

Though I did find an original marlin 980s-cf before the remlin take over for 228 out the door

I don't think I can pass that up

ckyrulez
11-10-2012, 10:29 AM
If you want to stay under $400 I would recommend a .22. I was actually looking at a few .223 bolt actions yesterday and doesn't seem like there is much out there in the under $400 price range.

usmcchet9296
11-10-2012, 4:08 PM
CZ 455 with a wooden stock and bull barrel is around 425.00 and is prolly the best value out there. Yes the Savage is a good rifle but with CZ you have quality.

Izzy43
11-10-2012, 4:15 PM
CZ 455 with a wooden stock and bull barrel is around 425.00 and is prolly the best value out there. Yes the Savage is a good rifle but with CZ you have quality.

:iagree:

covingtonhouse
11-10-2012, 8:55 PM
I have to weigh in with a savage mkII vote. I have a BV variant, and it's a consistent sub-moa shooter with the right ammo. Though the Savage is not a poor quality rifle, i would have to agree with the CZ'ers that the fit and finish of the CZ's for the money is hard to beat. That said, Ive never shot one. They were just a little out of the price range when I was buying.

Izzy43
11-11-2012, 6:01 AM
Many posts about accuracy with different rifles. Here's what a CZ can do and I'm not the best of shooters. This was shot with iron sights (peeps).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8346/8170104308_074f2df53f_c.jpg

TheDeej
11-11-2012, 9:55 PM
I went to a LGS this weekend that has a large used rack, nothing much to see there. They had a lot of new savages so I shouldered a few of those. I asked if they had some CZ's but the man behind the counter claimed they didn't stock them (which didn't make much sense seeing as they had CZ handguns) but he did find a CZ 452 Trainer when he actually looked. From the Savage lineup I liked the BV. Had the heavy barrel I want and a nice stock. The CZ trainer stock was a little small for my preference but the action was a thing of beauty. I understand what people mean when they say it looks/feels like a centerfire. I'd really like to find a 455 Varmint but I can't find one locally and on GalleryofGuns the cheapest nearby store is about $530 OTD, and I still need a scope!
Does anyone up in the Solano/Yolo/Sac county area know a place who would stock these and maybe have a better price? I can understand paying for quality but I also don't want to have to sleep with one eye open after I tell my wife what I spent...

TheDeej
11-14-2012, 7:48 PM
Ended up ordering a Savage MarkII BV today. Pick it up next Saturday. One day I'll have a CZ, but for now I'll spend the extra money on ammo and targets. Thanks for the suggestions everybody. The rimfire crowd is the best crowd. :D

donw
11-17-2012, 6:46 AM
CZ or savage

covingtonhouse
11-17-2012, 1:47 PM
Nice....now for the scope. I have a Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40 with a target dot reticle. Clear optics for the money. I've heard the standard Vortex Viper series are a good value also. Make sure you have enough internal adjustment if you plan on shooting long distances.

Izzy43
11-17-2012, 2:05 PM
Nice....now for the scope. I have a Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40 with a target dot reticle. Clear optics for the money. I've heard the standard Vortex Viper series are a good value also. Make sure you have enough internal adjustment if you plan on shooting long distances.

I just received a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44mm Side Focus scope with the wide V-Plex reticle. It is very, very clear and the turrets are the best I have ever used. Shortest focus is 50yds (wish it were 25yds) and it needs 30mm rings. At cameralandny.com for $280 shipped, original price over $400. Maybe one of the best buys in scopes if the specs meet your needs. Made in the Philippines. Mounted on .17HMR.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviper6-20x44

covingtonhouse
11-17-2012, 4:32 PM
I have a viper pst 6-24 on a centerfire rifle and its an excellent scope for the price point. . I have heard very good things about the lower end scopes. The pst series is a little pricey for a .22 though. The only thing I wish I had on the Nikon is a BDC or Mil-dot reticle.

TheDeej
11-18-2012, 8:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I am a super noob when it comes to scopes. I've always run irons on everything up to this point.
One question I've had...
The receiver is milled with a scope mount, nut I see people add picatinny scope bases. Is this just to raise the mounting surface so they can use a larger objective lens?

89 Vision
11-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Agree with all the C&R recommendations. Have a Steven/Savage/Springfield made in the early 40's. Absolutely love it. Bought it cash and carry for less than a c-note.

Rover
11-18-2012, 8:13 PM
One of my most lethal guns is my first one, a Marlin 925r. I have killed probably 1000 squirrels with it trying to keep cattle land hole-free. It was about $150 new, and I have a $30 Tasco scope on it. With a case, spare mags and scope rings, I'm into it under $225, and it's a tack driver out to 100 yards. I'll shoot it against any full custom 10/22, and most of the time, blow it out of the water.

covingtonhouse
11-19-2012, 4:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I am a super noob when it comes to scopes. I've always run irons on everything up to this point.
One question I've had...
The receiver is milled with a scope mount, nut I see people add picatinny scope bases. Is this just to raise the mounting surface so they can use a larger objective lens?

My BV came with a two piece picatinney style mount. I heard and also found that my rifle had some minor barrel droop. I added two coke can shims under the back mount to get my scope to zero mechanically on my rifle. A one oiece base is also another option and if you find your rifle also suffers from droop, you cam opt for a base with built in moa adjustment (eg 10, 20 moa). Shims are generally not the recommended fix, you can buckle your scope tube if you're not careful. But I'm a cheapskate and the shim was minimal and being a .22 not a lot of recoil to worry about. If ypu really want to shoot long distance, you may find a one piece moa adjusted base will be needed to get additional distance out of your scope.

Mesa Tactical
11-19-2012, 6:40 AM
I want to buy several bolt action .22s to loan out for Appleseed participants. At first I considered the CZ (always wanted one), but then I decided it really needed to be US-made for Appleseed. This thread indicates the Savage is the way to go.

Question is, do they have a version with peep sights? And if not, are there aftermarket peep sights?

I'll probably buy about three of them, and lots of magazines.

rkt88edmo
11-19-2012, 8:11 AM
I want to buy several bolt action .22s to loan out for Appleseed participants. At first I considered the CZ (always wanted one), but then I decided it really needed to be US-made for Appleseed. This thread indicates the Savage is the way to go.

Question is, do they have a version with peep sights? And if not, are there aftermarket peep sights?

I'll probably buy about three of them, and lots of magazines.

Why bolts for appleseed? I havent been yet but autoloaders seem to be universally recommended. Savage does have a budget minded plastic stocked bolt with peeps.

Mesa Tactical
11-19-2012, 8:28 AM
Why bolts for appleseed? I havent been yet but autoloaders seem to be universally recommended. Savage does have a budget minded plastic stocked bolt with peeps.

I shot a bolt this last Saturday and a 10/22 on Sunday. It's a personal thing I suppose, but I shot a lot better with the bolt than with the 10/22 (I would have kept on using the bolt, except all I had for it was a single seven-round magazine; loading rounds directly into the chamber really had a bad impact on my AQT scores).

Between the fussy bolt lock, the awkward magazine release and the crappy trigger I'm not sure the 10/22 is really the best platform for n00bs (I brought a couple n00bs to this last weekend's session). Probably personal preference, but there it is. I know those things can be corrected with aftermarket parts, but I'd like to keep the rifles as factory as possible. And maintaining NPOA while working the bolt simply reinforces other skills taught in the class.

Edit: One thing I really noticed, follow-through was easier (for me) with the bolt rifle. When you fire a semi-auto, all kinds of things happen: the bolt goes back, the case is ejected, the spring pushes the bolt forward, a round is stripped off the magazine. With the 10/22 you can feel all that happening, and it's slightly distracting. With a bolt gun, all that happens when you squeeze the trigger is the rifle discharges, and that's it! It seemed easier to keep the trigger back and maintain the image of the shot in my mind. But then, all the noise going on in the stock of an AR-15 distracts me too.

Honestly, if you're using the sling and your support arm properly to hold the rifle up, working the bolt shouldn't be an issue. And if you can earn a patch with a bolt rifle, then shooting a semi-auto well ought to be even easier.

Edit: So here it is, the Savage model Mark II FVT:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/610/RBNIGq6Og_I9XRoszq6.png

$455 seems like a lot for a bare-bones .22 rifle, but you gotta pay extra to buy American, I guess.

Coyotegunner
11-19-2012, 8:55 AM
If the rifle came with a scope base,I would probably try to use it.The rings will dictate how high the scope is to meet the demands of the front bell diameter.It is best to try and keep the scope as close as possible to the barrel.It would be whatever your eye position,cheek mount to the stock and scope combination that makes you comfortable.
Owning a few 22s with scopes,I like them to come naturally to my eye when I pull the gun up to my cheek.I actually close my eyes,pull the gun to my cheek,open my eyes and see if I have the full sight picture.
Most of the rifles I own have only (1)actual mounting screw for the stock to barrel,so the barrels either droop or have pressure upward from the stock.The other screws are for the trigger guard,etc.Rugers 77s,(I have a few)use (2),I glass bed everything and free float the barrels.I usually glass bed the first 2-3 inches of the barrel.It secures the barrel.

For the fello looking for Appleseed guns.Our local club went with some Savage Target models that came with peep sights that had different inserts.They got them,I believe direct with a wholesale company.Savage set it up and they still had to be transferred through a FFL.It was a price way better than a normal person can buy one for and the FFL helped us out as well.Contact Savage.I hope they still do this.It makes since in getting the new generation to be good shots.

elSquid
11-19-2012, 3:26 PM
Edit: So here it is, the Savage model Mark II FVT:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/610/RBNIGq6Og_I9XRoszq6.png

$455 seems like a lot for a bare-bones .22 rifle, but you gotta pay extra to buy American, I guess.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/22commercial.htm

FWIW - $240 if purchased via CMP youth affiliate program.

-- Michael

covingtonhouse
11-19-2012, 7:43 PM
Savage MK II BV w/ Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40 . Weaver medium height rings. Cheek pad custom by covingtonhouse. Sub m.o.a. shooter at 100 yards w/ SK std +
This scope is so close to the barrel with these rings that I had to make a small triangle cut in the objective lens cover where it meets the barrel so it would fit onto the scope. the objective clears the barrel by about 1/16". If you go with a bigger objective, you will most likely need to use high rings which will make your cheek weld lower on your face, most likely a jaw weld. I made my cheek pad from 3M Vetwrap, a 4" piece of 1" pvc cut in half logitudinally, and a small piece of backpackers closed cell sleeping pad foam. No stock modification required, when it gets worn just re-wrap it, and total cost of zero since I had the materials already (Thats the cheapskate talking again). Repeatable form is the key to accurate shooting, and cheek weld is one of the ingredients. there are also stock pad/packs and a couple of companies make kydex adjustable cheek pieces also.

rckjeep
11-20-2012, 7:17 PM
I wouldn't rule out Marlin's I found a model 925 at a local shop for under $200. It shoots great and has an integrated scope rail.

problemchild
11-21-2012, 7:26 PM
CZ 452 x100

Best 22 on the market in that price range

Got a 452 trainer and love it!

Here my gun on JUNK walmart 22 bulk ammo.......

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/CZ/target.jpg

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/CZ/P1000996a.jpg