PDA

View Full Version : Buffer Spring "Sounds"

JesseXXX
07-23-2007, 8:31 AM
Good Morning my brothers...

Question...?

My retro build AR fires flawlessly....but I heard spring noise when I was firing....? Everything looks fine as it should....it also happend to a buddy of mine with an M4 set up....? any ideas my friends what could be causing this....anyones else had the same noise/sound....?

C9X19
07-23-2007, 8:37 AM
Go to your local auto parts store and pick up some white lithium (high-temp) grease. Yes. I said to put grease in your AR. Apply it to your buffer, buffer spring and while you're at it, to the bolt carrier. Just don't get any into the barrel extension. :coolgleamA:

ar15barrels
07-23-2007, 8:40 AM
My retro build AR fires flawlessly....but I heard spring noise when I was firing....? Everything looks fine as it should....it also happend to a buddy of mine with an M4 set up....? any ideas my friends what could be causing this....

This is probably the most common comment from new AR shooters.
Welcome to the party.
You will not notice the sproing after a few thousand rounds.

Don't grease the spring and buffer.
That just attracts crap to them.

gn3hz3ku1*
07-23-2007, 8:44 AM
happens all the time. with a2 and tactical stocks... sounds kinda weird at first but i dont even hear it now

anyone know if this happens with the PRS?

Prc329
07-23-2007, 8:46 AM
Your are just going to hear it. You head does lay on the buffer tube :D

Some stocks are louder then others but all do it. Carbines especially.

PIRATE14
07-23-2007, 8:55 AM
I don't hear it but........

My .02 is that most guys lay their ear on the stock.......you head should almost be vertical for most shooting..........

A couple shot of dry teflon works good......;)

JesseXXX
07-23-2007, 8:57 AM
Okay..... I'll live with it..... :D

(I read this thread too: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=32391&highlight=buffer+noise )

Anyhow, funning thing is I do NOT hear it on my Stag M4....and my buddy (with the identical rifle) does.... thats more of why I was confused....

So....NO grease....?

BTW, I was at Burro yesterday.... man, that place is WINDY!! I was able to get pretty much dead center with my ACOG at 50yrds.... I think I'm gonna go to Angeles next time......was any other Calgunnner brother there....?

proraptor
07-23-2007, 9:02 AM
The scprc was at Burro saturday and it was a little windy but not too bad....

The spring sound is a good one to hear.....

C9X19
07-23-2007, 9:04 AM
I'm not going to argue with you Randall as you have my utmost respect. However I will disagree. Both James Yeager and Pat Rogers advocate the use of lithium grease in rifles.

Here is a post from GetofftheX (Registration is required to view the link): http://getoffthex.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/182106881/m/6351039231?r=3321094422#3321094422

iridesportbikes
07-23-2007, 9:04 AM
It wouldnt be an AR without that noise.

mecam
07-23-2007, 9:15 AM
anyone know if this happens with the PRS?

Pretty loud and clear with the PRS.

JesseXXX
07-23-2007, 9:48 AM
The funny thing is that as I stated.... we both have the same rifle (Stag M4's) and mine makes no noise and his does...but honestly, my friend stated.... as long as the noise is nothing to worry about, he's not gonna worry about it either....

proraptor
07-23-2007, 9:49 AM
My CMMG didnt make the noise till after shooting about 1000 rounds through it....Now it makes the nice healthy spring sound...

aplinker
07-23-2007, 10:09 AM
I used Militec-1 on the spring and tube, left out in sun in the car, then wiped dry. Mine are almost silent. All of them used to make noise, though. PRS, A2 and VLTOR -- though the carbine was quietest.

xenophobe
07-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Do not grease or oil your recoil spring or buffer. It will build up crap. Regardless of who advocates it, use a teflon dry lube instead.

The SPROING is normal... Learn it. Live it. Love it.

TMC
07-23-2007, 10:41 AM
The noise will quiet down after a few thousand rounds as the spring and tube get polished by each other. I'm one of those idoits that greases the springs and buffers but then again I clean that part of the gun occasionally so dirt doesn't build up.

JesseXXX
07-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks guys...thats why I LOVE this place....

Sydwaiz
07-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Yup, grease attracts dirt. I don't grease it. I don't notice it as much with my collapsible stocks, especially my old aluminum car stock. But I do notice it a lot on my A2 stocks. It's also a good indicator when your out of ammo and the bolt stays open, no sproing!

ar15barrels
07-23-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm not going to argue with you Randall as you have my utmost respect. However I will disagree. Both James Yeager and Pat Rogers advocate the use of lithium grease in rifles.

Here is a post from GetofftheX (Registration is required to view the link): http://getoffthex.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/182106881/m/6351039231?r=3321094422#3321094422

I can understand grease on the cam pin, but not anywhere else in the AR.

I'm not going to register just to read one post.
Can you please post the specific part where Pat Rogers recommends greasing the buffer and spring?

bwiese
07-23-2007, 11:01 AM

All right, we now have another memorable Calguns T-shirt statement courtesy of Xeno ;)

Yup, if your rifle doesn't 'sproing', something's wrong with it.

There is no need to put 'grease' in. It will just get dirty/gum up the works.
I never put anything in my ARs other than cleaning the receiver extension tubes occasionally with a big brush daubed in a bit CLP and wetting the action spring with a tad of CLP.

ar15barrels
07-23-2007, 11:02 AM

+1

It's also a good indicator when your out of ammo and the bolt stays open, no sproing!

Ding Ding Ding.
We got a winner.

JesseXXX
07-23-2007, 11:07 AM
"If your Spring don't Sprong, there must be something wrong".... :)

thefurball
07-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Just spray from the hip. You won't hear any spring noises.

grywlfbg
07-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I didn't notice it w/ my CAR stock but when I went gripless using an A1 stock (the A2 is a little too long for me) it started sproinging. I only notice it when I'm bench shooting.

grammaton76
07-23-2007, 1:38 PM
Sproing is good. There's an audible difference between a normal sproing and the last sproing - er, round - in a magazine. Like the Garand's "ping", it's an indication that this is when you need to reload. :)

Socal858
07-23-2007, 11:36 PM
i learned to love my sproing and it loves me back. i love playing with my sproing, its hte best!

+1 on grammaton with the last round sproing, its convenient

Toolbox X
07-25-2007, 11:31 PM
I noticed that some of my springs made a lot more *sproing* sound than others. I experimented with a bunch of springs from different manufacturers and found that some were definately louder than others.

anotherted
07-26-2007, 3:23 AM
Mine's loud as hell and I cant stand it. Im planning on getting that AR-Restor thing.

bwiese
07-26-2007, 4:01 AM
Mine's loud as hell and I cant stand it. Im planning on getting that AR-Restor thing.

Loud as hell?

There's no way a 'sproing' is anywhere remotely as loud as a 223/5.56 discharge.

There's nothing to fix. There may be occasional reasons for a limited set of people to install Enidine ARRestors on their rifles - this ain't one of 'em.

Sproing... learn it, live it, love it... ;)

Satex
07-26-2007, 6:45 AM
but I heard spring noise when I was firing....?

Thats the signature sound of an AR: sproing sproing...
If it isn't making that sound, its not an AR. In contrast to some suggestions, don't put any lube to silence it, the buffer spring should be dry when operating.

Technical Ted
07-26-2007, 9:46 AM
In contrast to some suggestions, don't put any lube to silence it, the buffer spring should be dry when operating.
Always and forever a LIGHT coat of oil or CLP. Put a few drops of lube on a patch and wipe the spring down every once in awhile.

C9X19
07-26-2007, 7:32 PM
I can understand grease on the cam pin, but not anywhere else in the AR.

I'm not going to register just to read one post.
Can you please post the specific part where Pat Rogers recommends greasing the buffer and spring?

My fault. I thought I read that Pat Rogers recommended grease on the buffer/spring. It probably wasn't him so my apologies for the inaccuracy.

grywlfbg
07-30-2007, 5:31 PM
Well, if you truly can't stand the sproing....

http://www.olyarms.com/?rootView=browse&view=cat&ids=ac4-s

A pneumatic buffer. I've heard good things as long as you don't try to use it below 32F (seals can fail).

shinigami
07-30-2007, 7:02 PM
I hear the sproing with my PRS or my A2....on the PRS the buffer tube is exposed especially when you raise that cheek rest. I love the sproing though.