PDA

View Full Version : Small review on Snapsafe model Titan

renardsubtil
11-07-2012, 9:01 AM
I just thought I'd post this up since I haven't seen too many reviews on it here on CG and I hope this can help someone out if they're in the market for one. I was lucky enough to grab a SnapSafe Titan model last month for around $800 (free shipping and a 10% promo code from an online retailer). For those of you who don't know, this is a type of safe that one can easily disassemble and it comes in about 5 major pieces and weighs in the neighborhood of 300lbs. Great safe, easily assembled, decent steel gauge, and good for getting into that "tough" notsoconscpious spot in your home.

I like the fact the safe has some sort of fire proofing and that it's made of a decent steel gauge (7 door, 11 body). I picked one of these up since I wanted to get my safe upstairs in a place that wasn't going to fit a conventional +300lb safe (thanks to a not-to-spec hallway and stairs). The fact I was able to carry the pieces to the place where I wanted to assemble/place the safe was a huge help. The heaviest part was the door (about 100lbs) but other than that I was able to handle this safe by myself...one thing to note is that they ship the door attached to the door frame and this weighed easily +150lbs (the door slides off but just keep this in mind when you unpack it).

Some things to note.

- Check out the company's youtube assembly video, it'll save you lots of time.

- The organizer configuration that comes with this safe comes in two flavors:

1) There's one setup that splits the safe into mostly shelves and the other half into a gun rack that holds MAYBE 6 long rifles (the advertising pix on their homepage show this setup (http://www.snapsafe.com/titansafe.php)).

2) The other organizer configuration is for mostly long rifles and MAYBE fits 12 guns and one shelf up top depending on the length of your guns...personally I have a trap shotgun and a Finnish M39 (my longest rifles) so the only top shelf I could fit was the half shelf. Personally, I could only get 10 long rifles in there without having them rub against each other. Point is, they give you a decent amount of shelving to setup the interior the way you want it and I've since then modified the organizer by adding a cloth organizer to hang on the door (there seems to be enough space to add this).

Here's a few up close pix, you can find the general looks of it on the web. Those "fire proofing packets" are not exposed when you finally assemble it, the interior flet panels cover them. Those exposed threads you see mate up with the panels and wing nuts keep them together, with the way the interior felt panels are added, these wing nuts are all hidden - there's plenty of space to work with in the panel to add steel netting or mesh if you want the added security against a sawzall cut or something. There's already two holes in the bottom panel where you can run some lag bolts through.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/subti7/6E8C8E9E-AD4E-4E34-95AD-0423FF9E1A46-4049-000003FEA0E98F14.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/subti7/3D148902-0353-4E36-9D94-8B242C791E40-4049-000003FE98E6444B.jpg

Edwood
06-08-2013, 9:22 PM
Hate to bump an old thread, but very few are interested in a safe like this one it seems. I live in a small one bedroom condo on an upper floor where it was almost impossible to squeeze a small refrigerator up the stairs. A giant 1000+lb safe is just not an option.

Looking to get a take down safe like this SnapSafe or a Zanotti Armor.

But the design of this SnapSafe worries me. Seems like those bolts where you screw on the wing nuts is the major weak point. How well would it hold up to hammering in a chisel or crowbar to pry it open, and then cut the bolt with a reciprocating saw / Sawzall?

Then the entire front section could be separated from the body of the safe, with the door still attached.

I'm really torn between which safe to get. But it seems I have only two choices, this SnapSafe Titan, or Zanotti Armor ZA-1.

Zedrek
06-23-2013, 7:26 AM
Hate to bump an old thread, but very few are interested in a safe like this one it seems. I live in a small one bedroom condo on an upper floor where it was almost impossible to squeeze a small refrigerator up the stairs. A giant 1000+lb safe is just not an option.

Looking to get a take down safe like this SnapSafe or a Zanotti Armor.

But the design of this SnapSafe worries me. Seems like those bolts where you screw on the wing nuts is the major weak point. How well would it hold up to hammering in a chisel or crowbar to pry it open, and then cut the bolt with a reciprocating saw / Sawzall?

Then the entire front section could be separated from the body of the safe, with the door still attached.

I'm really torn between which safe to get. But it seems I have only two choices, this SnapSafe Titan, or Zanotti Armor ZA-1.

What about the Dakota Interloc-XP? It seems pretty sturdy.
http://www.dakotasafe.com/interlocxp.html

I doubt it will matter too much how sturdy it really is in an apartment or condo. Your average thief isn't going to spend a lot of time and noise breaking into a safe where neighbors can here it.