PDA

View Full Version : Storage Without Safes

db42
11-07-2012, 8:56 AM
There's no a ton of discussion on here about safes, so I figure there's got to be a lot of people who are storing their guns without a safe.

What are people using instead?

I'm debating whether or not I need to get a safe for guns and other valuables; so I'd like to see what other people are using.

renardsubtil
11-07-2012, 9:17 AM
I used a truck tool box for awhile...hidden wall drawers using something like a rev-a-shelf (http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/rev-pages/product-listing.aspx?CategoryFilterID=4&SubcategoryFilterID=9)...I was looking into a KNAACK box before I eventually decided on an actual gun safe - the fact a safe offered fire protection made me decided on one instead of using the toolbox or metal storage containers.

db42
11-07-2012, 1:29 PM
I used a truck tool box for awhile...hidden wall drawers using something like a rev-a-shelf (http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/rev-pages/product-listing.aspx?CategoryFilterID=4&SubcategoryFilterID=9)...I was looking into a KNAACK box before I eventually decided on an actual gun safe - the fact a safe offered fire protection made me decided on one instead of using the toolbox or metal storage containers.

Funny you mention that.
A Knack toolbox is one of the things I was considering instead of a safe. I figured I could dump some concrete in the bottom to make it too heavy to steal.

Lead-n-Steel
11-07-2012, 1:36 PM
I use the cheep stack-on gun safes. You can pick one up for less that $150 and have plenty of storage space for guns and ammo. It is also opened by a single key so it's quick if you need to protect yourself.

John

ExtremeX
11-07-2012, 2:07 PM
There is a decent amount of discussion on safes. They usually come around more often after someone posts a thread about getting their items stolen.

What’s security/piece of mind worth to you? I didn’t buy mine to keep “the kids” out or honest people. I got a safe to secure valuables from theft, doing my part not to make it easier for criminals to get their hands on firearms.

I think evey gun owner should do their part, and own a proper safe.

ptroxx
11-07-2012, 2:28 PM
HomeDepot has safes at a good price, and if yo can afford to pay all at once you can do int free for a year.. I paid 350 for mine(sentry) ... 14gun safe... and just big enough to fit in a spare clothes closet,,out of sight...

ExtremeX
11-07-2012, 2:36 PM
Costco also has decent deals on safes… often times they go on sale too and the prices are pretty attractive. Most of them are still graded along the lines of a “residential security container”…

Then you have safes like this…
ltK-bDbADa8

GMG
11-07-2012, 5:25 PM
^^ Very informative video.........Thanks.

Javi
11-07-2012, 8:19 PM
I was broke & limited on space so I went with Liberty's lowest end safe, the Centurion. After looking at a $100 gun cabinet, there was no way I could get that for anything other than ammo. Blackfriday is coming up so try to snatch the Liberty at Lowes for $300-400. If you can afford more than that, get something bigger & more secure! Before I had it, I was just hiding my long guns & had a stack-on nightstand drawer safe.

db42
11-08-2012, 9:27 PM
I was broke & limited on space so I went with Liberty's lowest end safe, the Centurion. After looking at a $100 gun cabinet, there was no way I could get that for anything other than ammo. Blackfriday is coming up so try to snatch the Liberty at Lowes for $300-400. If you can afford more than that, get something bigger & more secure! Before I had it, I was just hiding my long guns & had a stack-on nightstand drawer safe.

That was my plan (almost verbatim) if a better option wasn't offered. The Centurions look pretty sturdy and pretty big for the money.