PDA

View Full Version : Safe Won't Open

FamilyofShooters
11-07-2012, 8:38 AM
I have a Patriot Cannon safe less than a year old that will not open. I've called Patriot twice and have been told to change the battery, which I have done twice, and today I was told to strap a 4X4 on the door and ratchet it down in case there is pressure on the bolts.

Has anyone encountered this sort of problem?

Casual_Shooter
11-07-2012, 8:53 AM
Never had that happen, but if you need a pro, contact Curtis (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=92201). I'm sure he can help you out.

FamilyofShooters
11-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Never had that happen, but if you need a pro, contact Curtis (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=92201). I'm sure he can help you out.

Thanks...will do.

odysseus
11-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Just going to ask here, in case it was missed - I am sure you tried this. Be sure that your spin handle is not pre-loaded on either side putting pressure on the lock mechanics of the electric lock's drive.

What exactly is happening when you say it "won't open"?

FamilyofShooters
11-07-2012, 11:52 AM
I closed it Sunday after a shooting trip. On Sunday evening I attempted to open it it. I pressed the 6 digit combo, I get the double beep and seems like I can hear the mechanism shift as it normally does but the handle won't budge.

odysseus
11-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Did you try moving the handle around so it is "loose" and try again? Don't let it rest on its dead stop far left or right. Leave play in it and then try it.

Again assuming you haven't tried that yet.

FamilyofShooters
11-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Did you try moving the handle around so it is "loose" and try again? Don't let it rest on its dead stop far left or right. Leave play in it and then try it.

Again assuming you haven't tried that yet.

Only thing I've done so far is give my safe some choice foul words...will give it a try tonight...thanks

odysseus
11-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Only thing I've done so far is give my safe some choice foul words...will give it a try tonight...thanks

It's a common issue with some safes with the symptoms you just wrote about, give it run and let us know. Good luck!

NSR500
11-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Throw the safe on it's back and the door will open.

FamilyofShooters
11-08-2012, 1:56 PM
Quick follow up...so last night I took a 4 foot 4x4 and ratcheted it down in 3 places on the edge of the door. I also picked up another new 9 volt battery and installed it and lo and behold...she opened! I had a lot of full boxes of ammo on the top shelf and it appeared that a couple boxes fell and lodged between the door and the top shelf. Hopefully this will be some good intel if this should happen to someone else.

odysseus
11-08-2012, 2:28 PM
Right on!

shortyforty
11-08-2012, 3:17 PM
Good work! I'm glad you got er' open. My buddy had a similar experience with his cannon. No one advised him of the 2x4 method though.