PDA

View Full Version : Tactical rifle in .300 wsm?

StraightShooter
07-22-2007, 9:23 PM
Hey everyone, i have been looking into buying a tactical rifle in .300 wsm. I have been looking for a while and the best place I have found is from tacticalrifles.net. Unfortunately they are in florida have a somewhat long waiting list. Does anyone know of any quality gunsmiths in southern California that could built a quality tactical rifle in 300 wsm or does anyone know of ANY other place that builds or could build this rifle for around $3800?

rksimple
07-22-2007, 9:38 PM
R+D Precision. Excellent work, awesome customer service, and best of all, they're local.

http://www.rdprecision.net/index.html

PanzerAce
07-22-2007, 11:06 PM
just as a question, why not 300 win mag?

Czechsix
07-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Ask Jerry at Precision in Escondido, he'll know.

aplinker
07-22-2007, 11:11 PM
There's a 300WSM up for sale by Mick made by GA Precision.

I'm not affiliated, but seeing 300WSM twice in one day on a day I was shooting 300WM... coincidences

Here's the link
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=61472

rksimple
07-22-2007, 11:11 PM
just as a question, why not 300 win mag?

Short action?

slick_711
07-23-2007, 1:08 AM
The question is not "why not 300WM?" but rather, "why not .308?" .300WSM is an excellent hunting cartridge, no matter how many legs your game walks on... but nobody hunts Elk with a tactical rifle, and not many people are needing to hunt two-legged game. Why not go with the much less expensive round to shoot? (.308) Which is coincidentally easier to come by in a 'tactical rifle' setup.

Not saying that to sway your decision, you seem set on .300WSM, so go with .300WSM, I'm sure you have a good reason, I'd just like to know what it is. Curiosity killed the cat, wot?

rksimple
07-23-2007, 7:04 AM
The question is not "why not 300WM?" but rather, "why not .308?" .300WSM is an excellent hunting cartridge, no matter how many legs your game walks on... but nobody hunts Elk with a tactical rifle, and not many people are needing to hunt two-legged game. Why not go with the much less expensive round to shoot? (.308) Which is coincidentally easier to come by in a 'tactical rifle' setup.

Not saying that to sway your decision, you seem set on .300WSM, so go with .300WSM, I'm sure you have a good reason, I'd just like to know what it is. Curiosity killed the cat, wot?

Much flatter, less wind, and easier to spot misses at extended ranges (a little easier). If you look at tactical rifle competitions nationwide, out of all of the top ten finishers, maybe one is using a 308. Most have moved to the 6 and 6.5 mm bullets.

PIRATE14
07-23-2007, 9:00 AM
FN makes a SPR rifle that is 300 WSM......shoots less than an inch out of the box and is chrome lined.........that chrome will help out w/ a hotter round....;)

schmud0811
07-23-2007, 9:00 AM
7 wsm is the ticket

tiger222
07-23-2007, 9:04 AM
6.5 x 47mm Lapua:gunsmilie:

or just find a pet load in 308, if I were to do a magnum - go 7.62x67.3mm nato (300wm)

StraightShooter
07-23-2007, 3:52 PM
thanks everyone for the replies, so may of you ask why the 300 wsm. I have a few reasons. Number one is the fact that allows the bullets to stay supersonic past the 1000 yard mark. Something that the .308 cannot. It also shoots a trajectory that is ten feet flatter than the .308 at the 1000 yard mark.It has slightly less kick that a standard 300 wm and uses less powder than a 300 wm (not really a big deal in my opinion though, i have probably spilled enough powder on my reloading bench to make up for the difference in powder between the two for 1000 rounds, hehe). The short action is also a plus and it reduces overall weight slightly. Probably the bigest reason though is that I have two other hunting rifles in .300 wsm and therefore I already have reloading dies, gauges, brass, etc for the .300 wsm so it helps to consolidate.

Once again, thanks alot for the good info......... feel free to keep it coming.

Jicko
07-23-2007, 4:00 PM
.338 Lapua

:D

(i do know the reasons "why not".... but it is a good round.... no, it is a GREAT round...)

QuarterBoreGunner
07-23-2007, 4:14 PM
I already have reloading dies, gauges, brass, etc for the .300 wsm so it helps to consolidate.
Best answer.

6079Winston
07-23-2007, 4:18 PM
I like your idea and reasoning for the .300 WSM, but I second the call for the 7mm WSM as a launcher for the Berger 180gr VLD. As a plus for the .300 WSM, there are others running it for LR shooting, so you should be able to find data about their progress. There is a great article on Border Barrel's site about why we should all be using the heaviest lowest BC bullets available for known distance shooting. Maybe PTG makes a reamer in .300 WSM for a 210 gr Berger VLD? Another cool idea I have only heard of someone doing once is an AR-15 in .243 WSSM, although seating depth would probably be less than ideal for heavier bullets. Chasing the lands to keep up with throat erosion probably wouldn't be an option either.

rksimple
07-23-2007, 4:58 PM
thanks everyone for the replies, so may of you ask why the 300 wsm. I have a few reasons. Number one is the fact that allows the bullets to stay supersonic past the 1000 yard mark. Something that the .308 cannot. It also shoots a trajectory that is ten feet flatter than the .308 at the 1000 yard mark.It has slightly less kick that a standard 300 wm and uses less powder than a 300 wm (not really a big deal in my opinion though, i have probably spilled enough powder on my reloading bench to make up for the difference in powder between the two for 1000 rounds, hehe). The short action is also a plus and it reduces overall weight slightly. Probably the bigest reason though is that I have two other hunting rifles in .300 wsm and therefore I already have reloading dies, gauges, brass, etc for the .300 wsm so it helps to consolidate.

Once again, thanks alot for the good info......... feel free to keep it coming.

Is this rifle going to be used for hunting at all or just precision lead slinging? If its the former, then I think you're right on with caliber choice. Even though the 7 wsm's numbers are better, having the whole reloading setup for 300 wsm makes it hard to choose anything else. If, however, the rifle won't be used for game but rather paper and steel at long range, I'd think smaller. The 243 Win can throw some pretty high BC bullets at good velocities. The .585 BC 115grain DTAC bullet will hit 3100 fps no problem. This will fly right up there with the big boys but you'll burn less powder, cheaper bullets, and you'll be able to spot you're own impacts. Barrel life is about the same as the wsm's. The 260 Rem is another caliber that is becoming more mainstream due to its ability to do the same as above with even better barrel life. Something to think about if its going to be a comp rifle.

StraightShooter
07-23-2007, 5:26 PM
Rksimple..... thanks for the info (and everyone else as well) i am currently shooting an accurized .243 winchester and i have found that even with 105gr berger vld's trying to get any sort of consistent group past 700 yards is quite a challenge. There might be a better load out there that could get better but so far thats the best i can do. Im kinda in the position where I want to use heavier bullets with higher BC's but unfortunately the twist rate in my rifle has some trouble stabilizing the bullet unless I use maximum powder charges in my reloads. I would use lighter bullets but then wind becomes a problem. Instead of investing more money into a higher twist rate barrell for my 243 and hoping to see improvement, i was planning on having another rifle built. The .300 wsm kinda stuck out to me as an interesting caliber from the stuff I have been reading. Although I would like to consolidate my reloading equipment by sticking with the 300 wsm i would not be totally against a new caliber. My end goal is to have a rifle that can shoot somewhat consistent groups at 1000 yds for around $3800 without having to spend alot more than that for a super custom benchrest gun. I am mainly looking to just have fun and shoot in competition every now and then.

rksimple
07-23-2007, 5:59 PM
Understood. I wouldn't give up on the 243 just yet. Get the proper twist barrel and it should do just fine. I shot with a guy at the last Vegas tac match that was using a GAP built 243 with a 7.5 twist barrel. It shot like a laser. Randy at R+D precision can do that rebarrel for you and undoubtedly make it shoot. Either way you go, you're going to end up with a great long range rifle.

randy
07-24-2007, 5:13 AM
Sounds like a good idea for a target gun.